Xbox 360 Questions

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Aeladya, Aug 25, 2010.

Aug 25, 2010

Xbox 360 Questions by Aeladya at 4:41 AM (856 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Aeladya
    OP

Member Aeladya *mistressOFtheCLOW

United States
    I was considering buying an Xbox 360 Spring Arcade bundle at Gamestop since it's pretty cheap right now, but I've heard bad things about it. Honestly I really don't plan on using Live that much at all. I heard it comes with a free month though so I might take advantage of that, but I had a few questions.

1. How does the Arcade model connect to the internet? Does it include everything needed or do I need to buy a part for it in order to take advantage of the free month of Live? Also, when does the free month start? Can I take advantage of it whenever I please or does it start immediately when I buy the console?

2. Are the differences between all the models just the amount of hard drive space? Would buying a separate hard drive later to add on make it pretty much the same as all models?

I really don't plan on doing anything like downloading games from the Arcade or movies. As long as I can play DVD's I'm alright with that. As I said, I don't really plan on playing many multiplayer games, I might play some later on with my cousin and uncle if I desire later on since they don't live in town.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    A 360 can't use any old harddrive like the PS3 can, it normally has to be a specially-signed/branded harddrive. There's ways around around that, but IIRC they're very limited in both scope and upgrade roon.

3. Aeladya
    OP

United States

I know, I meant their hard drives.

4. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    nice . if your friends got a xbox, get live [​IMG] .

1. the Arcade model connects to the internet with an Ethernet Cable through the Ethernet Port at the back of the Xbox. the alternative way to connect to the Internet is to buy a Wireless Adapter then use it to connect to a Wireless Router . i personally, recommend the Ethernet solution, but which ever is cheaper, is best for you . As for the free live, you have the choice of when you want to activate it.

2. there are currently 2 types of Xbox 360s . the original one, which is the one you plan on purchasing . and then comes the new Xbox 360 Slim .

the main pros for the Slim is that it has:
    - 4GB base HDD over the 256MB the Arcade has
    - Wi-Fi Adapter Built-In
    - Supposedly, better cooling
    - Smaller then the Original Xbox 360

personally, i'd recommend getting the Xbox 360 Slim 4GB [$200] for the built in Wi-Fi . even though it doesn't come with any games, this "free live" is always available when you make a new Gamertag.

EDIT: yep, adding that Hard Drive will make it like any other Xbox 360 that's not a slim . only thing, they are pretty pricey even if they are used.

5. Aeladya
    OP

United States
    My dad has a whole box of Ethernet cables in the shed outside. I used one when I was playing the original Monster Hunter on the PS2 so the ethernet solution is probably my best bet since I wanted to pick up FF13 and I am a very impatient person (I have about $195 right now, but I will have a bit more next time I babysit). As long as I have enough space to save my game I think this might be my cheapest option.

Edit: I can get used HDD's on Craigslist for really cheap so that's probably what I'll do. They have a 20GB for about $25. Craigslist is usually pretty cheap.

6. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    ah, that's good . just so you know, FFXIII doesn't have online . so with or without the ethernet cable, you can still experience the game to the fulllest ~
    save you game...? lol , all you'll be saving is the save data, you could install each disc to the HDD . but i don't know if it'll fit so you gotta install, delete, install, delete after each disc i guess .

the HDD off of Craigslist might be like the ones you find at DealExtreme . they look legit, but you have a chance of getting banned, or for what i am hearing .