Hacking xbox 360 ODDE vs RGH

masterz87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the real advantages for going with an RGH, also how much better is the cooling for the new Mobos beyond the slim model. I'm not super confident in my soldering skills are at this time,mainly I am going to do this so that I can further simplify my life by not having to worry about shuffling discs anymore. With the odde how is it emulating the dd, is it just sending data at full speed 24x7 or is it doing something more like what I think only dolphin does currently and calculates the maximum read speed based upon the LBA being accessed? I have plenty of dics and in the past ever since the 360 metro update that let you install discs I used the CAG guide thing and installed every disc I had that could be and then used to decrease load times and more importantly reduce the overall heat of the device.

The tl;dr
I am finally feeling comfortable enough to mod my 360, for me the #1 priority is reducing the load times, #2 is reducing heat of the console(I'll repaste it once I open it up). I am not a master solderer and havn't soldered anything in probably 10 years now.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just putting some decent thermal paste is a big step in the right direction as far as cooling goes. Microsoft uses crap TIM, so its best to change it at least once. There's nothing all that great about the E models. They're just the last line of 360 manufacturing with some stuff to disable the RGH hack. It's literally the only reason they produced it. RGH will give you full homebrew access and XBLA content, while ODDE gives you diskless play but no XBLA. You cant really go online (bans) with RGH and with ODDE, you can if everything is done properly. Idk about which is faster, but I'd assume RGH since the game files are unpadded and decrypted whereas with ODDE you keep all the fluff, but they both go over SATA so idk.

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XB Live, go for an ODDE.

Assuming you don't care - go RGH 100% - unless you want to rip all of your legally owned games you WILL have problems finding proper ISO dumps for anything but the very popular games and are restricted to disc only releases and region locked too.

I use a flashed 360 to this day, but only because Live is a big deal and for anything not BC with the One I gotta have it hooked up, you know. As for load times, it's not different if you install if the game is already on a hard drive, or it really will be negligible.

TLDR - buy a RGH, only go for drive hacks if you REALLY care about Live enough for dealing with it's limitations and hard to find rips in 2018, hehe.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I play a lot of shmups by cave and milestone. most of them are region locked which is what I have my jtag for. :D I believe microsoft left region locking up to the publishers. the ps3, a region free system, actually has two games that are region locked iirc. that too was left to the publishers. the two+ games that are region locked for the ps3 are on wiki in case you're curious. ;)

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I play a lot of shmups by cave and milestone. most of them are region locked which is what I have my jtag for. :D I believe microsoft left region locking up to the publishers. the ps3, a region free system, actually has two games that are region locked iirc. that too was left to the publishers. the two+ games that are region locked for the ps3 are on wiki in case you're curious. ;)
Yeah, I recently finished my full Japanese region free collection on the 360. Every cave shooter, the other shooters, PBX and one I looked for literally years Virtual On Force - I think it's like 14 games total, but I have all of them burned in proper ISO format... feels really good.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
odd that any game would be region locked to asia after how much of a colossal failure the system was in Japan. I think the 360 only rivals the dreamcast when it comes to shumps.

masterz87

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I guess I'm going to have to go with RGH then as I have no idea how hard it's going to be to dump my own games and I might as well take the plunge earlier rather than later. On my psp I dumped all of my own games b/c it was fast and easy. On DS?(way too fucking slow), 3ds?(clusterfuck trying to get it to work)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I guess I'm going to have to go with RGH then as I have no idea how hard it's going to be to dump my own games and I might as well take the plunge earlier rather than later. On my psp I dumped all of my own games b/c it was fast and easy. On DS?(way too fucking slow), 3ds?(clusterfuck trying to get it to work)

there's a dumper in the hacked dash or you can even create an nxe rip on the normal dash, then remove disc checks with nxe2god. nxe2god is lightning speed, and ripping games is normal speed.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Depends on how you want to dump them.
Folder ripping is easy as piss in FSD.
Dumping them as ISO however... you'd need a 0800 drive or Xecutors USB Pro v2.

Edit: also what godreborn said.
You damned ninja :ph34r:

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's nothing all that great about the E models. They're just the last line of 360 manufacturing with some stuff to disable the RGH hack. It's literally the only reason they produced it.

That and they took out the real av port and only left in the HDMI and a lame composte only "headphone" style jack. Hope you don't want component, or s-video, or vga on your 360 because you ain't getting it with the E model...

Reactions: brickmii82

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat