OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My friend was asking me about 360 mods, and since I haven't really looked into them yet (don't have money for a 360 right now), I didn't know which to recommend. Can anyone recommend a good 360 mod for running "back ups"?
Also, are they drive firmware based, or mod chip based?
Finally, Xbox Live, does it work with modded 360's, and if so, what's the risk of being banned? I personally don't care if I have Live access on my Xbox, but I know my friend uses it a lot, so I think he'd want to keep it. I remember I had my original Xbox modded and could never get Live because it could detect the mod chip very easily (even if you disconnected from Live, flashed to the original firmware, and reconnected, it would log any firmware changes and upload them to Microsoft, who would then ban your mac address). I thought I read some where that people go on Live all the time with modded 360's.
Thanks in advance if anyone can answer this.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Basically all you need is a sata chipset on your mainboard that's compatible, or a pci sata card. This is needed to flash the 360 DVD drive with the hacked firmware.
You can get kits with all you need from ebay for around $15, search xbox 360 sata pci.
Then you'll need a dual layer burner, I use pioneer 111d and have over 100 games on disc with no problems, all burned with CloneCD.
You should be fine on live as long as the games are patched properly (scene releases are) and you have latest version of ixtreme (the hacked fw).
Anything else just ask I use my 360 daily and am on irc most days in #gbatemp.net @ EFnet.

poisonousj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you mod the firmware you are always at risk of being banned. There are counter-measures developed to try to avoid being banned but it's still a risk. Generally, if you are willing to mod the 360 you have to accept that you may be banned eventually.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, getting banned does little damage compared to the damage you can cause by modding.

You save about $55 per game, so if you beat 7 games before getting banned/RROD you're even.
(Blank discs are about $2, DL-DVD writer is like $40 tops divide by 7 gives you ~$6)
I got my 360 last fall, still using old firmware and not banned yet. In fact, I played too many games to complain about getting banned/RROD at this point.
If I get banned, I'll sell my current one and get an Arcade. If I get RROD, I'll clamp mod mine or just buy an Arcade.

poisonousj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
clamp mod is a method to fix a xbox 360 that is suffering from the 'red ring of death' sympton. Usually due to overheating.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've been playing on Live for the past 6 months and still not banned.

Clamp mod is a fix, which is preferrable over buying a new 360, but it doesn't guarantee a perfect fix.

Drkirby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deathfisaro said:
I've been playing on Live for the past 6 months and still not banned.

Clamp mod is a fix, which is preferrable over buying a new 360, but it doesn't guarantee a perfect fix.
How does it work?

darkpaladinmfc

Trophies
XP
Country
How do you avoid getting banned. I believe your on my XBL friend list Deathfisaro (I'm bTheGuardian
smile.gif
). I haven't played it for a while because of Brawl, MKwii, World Ends with You, etc. Will play soon though for GTA4.

poisonousj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darkpaladinmfc said:
How do you avoid getting banned. I believe your on my XBL friend list Deathfisaro (I'm bTheGuardian
smile.gif
). I haven't played it for a while because of Brawl, MKwii, World Ends with You, etc. Will play soon though for GTA4.

best way to avoid getting banned is do not flash your firmware.

darkpaladinmfc

Trophies
XP
Country
poisonousj said:
darkpaladinmfc said:
smile.gif

best way to avoid getting banned is do not flash your firmware.
Whats the best way while being able to play backups
tongue.gif
. Currently my 360 is unmodded. But everything else of mine is so I'm only paying for 360 games but still.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
thing you need to do to avoid a ban on live:
1. use the latest version of ixtreme firmware
2. check all your games with xdvdmulleter before you burn them. (use the autofix option)
3. dont play unreleased games on live

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality