Xbox 360 Modding Questions

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Saphiresurf, Jan 9, 2010.

Jan 9, 2010
  1. Saphiresurf
    OP

Banned Saphiresurf Banned

United States
    Hello i just have a couple questions before flashing the firmware on my xbox 360.

1. Will i only get banned if i get caught playing a burned game?

2. Will i be able to play xbox 360 homebrew?

3. Can i downgrade my firmware?

4.Can I install Linux or any other OS?

5.Can I use external hard drives as my main hard drive?

6. Can i use an actual hard drive instead of the 360 drive?

7. Can i transfer files between my computer and my Xbox 360?

8. Is there an alternative Xbox 360 Dashboard?

Sorry if this is to many questions im just new to the Xbox 360 hacking community and im trying to get questions answered ive wanted to know for a while.

Thank your for your time.

2. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    1) If you flash it with the current firmwares, you're pretty much guaranteed to get banned.

2)Not with just a flashed drive. If you want homebrew you need to have an exploitable box(made before june 09 and not upgraded to the 8XXX kernel) and use the jtag hack.

3)You can flash any compatible firmware to the drive, 360 itself can't be downgraded.

4)If you have an exploitable box you can.

5)If you have a homebrew enabled box running xbreboot or freeboot you can use an external drive for running games, but for saves and dlc you still need to use the normal 360 hdd.

6)Exploited box running xbreboot you can use any drive you want instead of the official drive, normal box you can mod a western digital scorpio to use and that's it (limited to 20GB,60GB,120GB and 250GB using this method).

7)Nope.

8)Not yet, closest thing is xexloader, but only for homebrew enabled boxes.

3. Saphiresurf
    OP

United States
    Ok, and how do you mod the Western Digital Drive? (luckily i have a 250 GB WD (WD2500))

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Assuming you can use the drive then you will need to tweak the firmware using the so called hdss.bin files (they are ripped from official drives hence being limited to what is out there officially).

Two tools are necessary (well actually just one but the second makes like so much nicer:
    HDDHackr (got a nice guide on the link below)
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox360-tools/HDDHackr.php

xplorer360 (allows read and write to the drive):
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox360-tools/Xplorer360.php

The third thing that is a file called hdss.bin , the guide explains it but as it is copyright MS you will have to do a search for it (nothing difficult to find) or dump it from your own drive.

If you are using the official drive as a caddy then you will need a TORX #6 bit which are not uncommon but may not come in a basic torx set to pay attention when picking some up. If you are not using a

5. driverzx

Member driverzx GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands

6. Saphiresurf
    OP

United States
    Ok thanks. Sorry if its too muxh trouble but i was also wondering if you get banned for just playing a legit bought game on a flashed drive. and when i said can i downgrade the firmware i meant downgrade the dashboard.

One more thing. I found linux for the 360. heres the site and heres a video.

http://www.free60.org/Main_Page

7. driverzx

Member driverzx GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Yes, you will get banned playing a legit game on a modded 360.

8. Saphiresurf
    OP

United States
    Ok then im probaly not going to mod. can you get banned for using the JTAG mod.

9. House Spider

Banned House Spider In the GBAtemp attic.

Ireland
    You can stealth patch your games if I heard correctly?

10. EarthBound

Member EarthBound a/s/l?

United States

Plus avoid playing game's before the street date.

I've had my modded 360 for the past 2 years. Haven't been banned yet, just gotta use common sense.

11. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Won't help. Microsoft can detect if your Drive Firmware is modded or not. They go now directly for the Drive, and not the burned games. All those that said they aren't banned are just damm lucky. I'm also flagged, never played a game early, always verfied my ISOs and Burns, but still flagged.

Oh, and Homebrew will probably also ban you. Maybe not now, but Micro$oft will also stop this soon, belive me...they won't allow anything. Right now: Backups+Homebrew = Ban. If LT comes out and realy works, it will be Homebrew = Ban, until Micro$oft finds again a Backdoor.

12. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    This is the biggest bullshit statement ever. There is no such thing as "common sense" as far as avoiding a ban. No, you know what? the only common sense way to avoid being banned is to not mod your console at all.

Don't let people like these fool you. If you are going to mod your console just accept that you WILL be banned. maybe not tomorrow, or next week or even in the next year or so, but you will be banned.

13. Saphiresurf
    OP

United States
    ok but if microsoft did ban you for using homebrew that doesn't involve pirating then you could take them to court because you have to make a console somewhat opensource. so logically there has to be another way to boot homebrew with the newest update or they could be taken to court. right?

P.S. Im also going to refer how Nintendo got taken to court for blocking homebrew on the wii and flashcarts on the dsi. (the homebrew part of the flashcarts though)

14. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    It is clearly stated in the Terms of Use when you signed up for Xbox Live that you would not in any way shape or form modify the console. You can't take them to court for it because theyre just keeping you from going on Live, and disabling HDD installs. They are not keeping you from playing games, which would be a great reason to take MS to court.

Also, there really isnt much "homebrew" to be accounted for as far as the 360 is concerned, so it would be a relitively weak statement if you tried to hold that up in court.

15. Saphiresurf
    OP

United States
    what do you mean by laying games?

Edit:
    Actually there are things like linux on the 360.