mikilol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi i have a question about the xbox hdd

i bought the premium xbox with the 20 gig hdd with it.
But i was wondering if it was possible that you could open it and replace it with another hard disk like the ps3, cause the 120 gb version is Waaaaaay to expensive.

so if you could . can you please tell me what you need to do and how you need to do it?

ty

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
mikilol said:
Hi i have a question about the xbox hdd

i bought the premium xbox with the 20 gig hdd with it.
But i was wondering if it was possible that you could open it and replace it with another hard disk like the ps3, cause the 120 gb version is Waaaaaay to expensive.

so if you could . can you please tell me what you need to do and how you need to do it?

ty

It is possible but it involves getting a *very* specific Western Digital drive model, and hacking the drive to be recognized by the 360 as well. I don't recommend it unless you know what you're doing. My suggestion is try eBay -- I bought a 120GB official drive brand new for half the price.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd recommend the hacked western digital. Never would pay for a official 120GB. Even cheap from ebay , still putting money in their pockets and putting across that the ridiculous price for their drive is fine. Getting the cheap western digital going is not even hard , it's pretty much all automated. Get the drive , the hddss.bin and hddhackr , follow the instructions , jobs done. Let 360 format it and then just copy your stuff across and your done.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Armadillo said:
I'd recommend the hacked western digital. Never would pay for a official 120GB. Even cheap from ebay , still putting money in their pockets and putting across that the ridiculous price for their drive is fine. Getting the cheap western digital going is not even hard , it's pretty much all automated. Get the drive , the hddss.bin and hddhackr , follow the instructions , jobs done. Let 360 format it and then just copy your stuff across and your done.

You make it sound so easy, but unfortunately it's a little bit trickier than that. The drive has two different serial numbers, and the 360 will only work with 1 of the 2 models of the same model number. If you buy one and it turns out to be the incorrect serial number, you've then got to deal with returning it. Not a risk I wanted to take. You know what, I bought the 360 drive for $120, if the WD drive costs $80, and then taxes and shipping, it brings it up to almost $100. $20 more is not a big deal, and you don't have to deal with any of the hassle.

Your choice though
smile.gif

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No trickier than that , used to only work with the lat version , but has been fixed long ago. Straight from the readme of 0.91

Q. With which HDD's does this work ?
A. As of version 0.91, it now works with all sizes and versions of the Western
Digital Scorpio BEVS series.

mikilol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Armadillo said:
No trickier than that , used to only work with the lat version , but has been fixed long ago. Straight from the readme of 0.91

So what you say is true, then i can use like a 320 gb size hd from theWestern
Digital Scorpio BEVS series?
and it wil work with that 2 files i need?
aint there a risk like getting banned or trouble with savings and stuff?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
mikilol said:
Armadillo said:

So what you say is true, then i can use like a 320 gb size hd from theWestern
Digital Scorpio BEVS series?
and it wil work with that 2 files i need?
aint there a risk like getting banned or trouble with savings and stuff?

You can , but it'll get cut down to 120GB. When it says you can use all , it's just referring to compatibility. Can use any of the scorpio series , but they have to be equal or bigger than what the hddss.bin was taken from. So with a signature file from a 20GB hdd , you can use anything 20GB or more , but it'll be cut down to 20GB , with a signature from a 120GB drive , you can use anything 120GB or more , but it'll get cut down to 120GB. No custom sizes.

No trouble with saving , they operate just as a official drive would. As for banning , far as I know , no one has been banned for a non official drive , but then there isn't really that many people using them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Wasn't it Scarlet and Violet?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Dunno, I stay in the EoF.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    The craze must've had died down by then.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I'm much more on the killing floor :x
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some...