Xbox 360 HDD Hacking

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by hanman, Jul 24, 2008.

1. hanman
    OP

hanman I'm a pretty lucky guy

Nov 27, 2005
    United States
    Galbadia Garden
    i understand that you can replace a 20GB HD with a 120GB HD, provided it's of a certain type, as long as you have an hddss.bin. what'd i'd like to know is, can Microsoft detect this? if i "get" an hddss.bin from an official 120GB HD, flash it to a much cheaper 120GB HD from newegg (or where ever), can Microsoft detect it and then ban me for it? any reports on this?

2. 754boy

754boy :D

Banned
    Oct 24, 2002
    United States
    Mississippi
  3. hanman
    OP

Nov 27, 2005
    United States
    Galbadia Garden
    yeah, i've seen the hack (there's actually a newer version of the app), and i understand how to do it. i just haven't gotten a clear answer about whether or not anyone has been banned from xbox live because of it.

4. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    There is no clear answer to getting banned from live with it as not that many people use the modded drive. As for Microsoft detecting it , they can sort of. They can't see it's a modded western digital , but you take on the serial number etc of the drive that you got the hddss from , so you basically clone it. So if both the hacked drive and the original were online at the same time , in theory Microsoft could see two drives with the same info , whether they'd take any action is another matter though.

5. hanman
    OP

Nov 27, 2005
    United States
    Galbadia Garden
    i think i'm going to risk it. Microsoft may not care about it since it can't be used for piracy. even if i do get banned because of it, it won't really bother me because i don't care much for Xbox Live Gold. i get my Live Gold cards from Gaminglagoon, so there's no finacial loss. i would feel better, though, if i could get an hddss.bin from a buddy, rather than the one floating around on the internets.

one thing is certain: i refuse to pay $180 for a 120GB HD. maybe $90 for a refurbished/used drive...

6. test84

test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Sep 8, 2006
    Iran
    Iran, Tehran.
    this topic will be more h0t when the new dashboard update get exlploited and people get chear HDDs to dump their games on.

7. hanman
    OP

Nov 27, 2005
    United States
    Galbadia Garden
    that's kinda what i'm thinking. i don't care if it gets exploited or not. i just want more space to dump games on to reduce loading times. i could care less that i still have to put the game in the drive.