Xbox 360 Elite Wont Read Games But Reads Dvds

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by DarkCrudus, Sep 17, 2009.

Sep 17, 2009
  1. DarkCrudus
    OP

Member DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States
    i have a 360 elite (not flashed) that is over 2 yrs old, and it wont read games anymore , does anyone know if flashing the dvd drive will some how enable it to read again? or does anyone know of a fix?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Flashing; probably not but:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=517961
    That is a link to a guide on pot tweaking (adjusts the laser and can fix problems), not a trivial task by any means but nothing outrageous.
    It should go without saying but I will anyway; read it, understand it, read it again and then try and do it.

While you are doing that you might as well flash it though.
    If you are inclined to spend money it might be worth getting a replacement drive (you can get replacement lasers too which dodges the "hassle" of finding a key/flashing the drive and replaces it with fiddly electronics repair).
    Replacement drives can run a bit but if you like then it might be worth getting a RROD 360 from wherever and using that drive instead.
    Same model to same model is the suggested route but you can spoof drives so they identify as other drives.

There are rumblings of a thing like the flatmii but for the 360 although I have no solid links/sources on that.

3. DarkCrudus
    OP

Member DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States
    heh alright thanks man, ill give it a shot n see how it goes

4. Chinman

Member Chinman GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    sounds like the laser is dying, pot tweaking is more like pot luck, and could end up damaging your disc and is also a temporary solution if successful as it will completely kill the laser in the long run. i had same problem, got a new drive for £30 and spoofed it with the key from the original drive, been fine ever since

i would definitely not recommend replacing the laser, different drives use different lasers, so there is no guarantee the replacement will even fit. also aligning the laser is very tricky, save yourself the hassle andd get a brand new drive, and flash it while you are at it