Xbox 360 DVD drive error

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Fudge, Sep 1, 2010.

Sep 1, 2010

Xbox 360 DVD drive error by Fudge at 8:00 AM (1,310 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Fudge
    OP

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    I'm pretty sure I need to replace the drive, but I'm just seeing if anyone knows how to fix this without doing so.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I missed if it read the disc or not- if that still works keep it and you might be able to fix it.
    If it does not read you appear to have flashed it so buy another and flash that with the keys.

I have fixed this issue with an original xbox quite often but 360 is somewhat more rare although far from unheard of.

Inside there will be a gearing using a rubber band of sorts that gets covered in dust and other stuff as time goes on- you can get it off and clean it without taking it all apart (tweezers work for me) but be aware you might have to as it can get fiddly. You might as well clean the pulleys/wheels while you are at it.

3. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    If it's flashing, it means it can't detect the drive. It's knackered, possibly the board. I have a Liteon with a fried nand (you can physically see one of the pins on the nand has burnt out), along with a Benq which isn't detected.

Also have a Benq which worked for an hour, then struggled, and now will not read disks. This was spoofed as the Liteon, no inquiry.bin but I did enter the serial from the top in Jungeflashers manual spoof setting. Does anyone know if spoofing a benq as a liteon damages it? as I only have one drive left which is in my untouched arcade, and I don't want to ruin it.

4. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Spoofing should be fine (it is "just" the enquiry from the 360 that is spoofed; look at all the various sub models of 360 DVD drive with different firmware- same idea).

5. Fudge
    OP

United States
    The drive has been flashed. Can I keep the old board and replace the drive?

6. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    How do you know it's not the board which is dead?

If you've flashed the drive, then you have the drive key. Spoof the drive key onto a new drive along with the serial. If it doesn't work, you can still try the a board swap.

I'm going to swap the boards on my benq later from the drive which is dead like yours, I'll soon find out if it's the mechanism or board which is dead on the dead drive. I would just swap the laser, but it looks tricky.

7. Fudge
    OP

United States
    I've been talking to the person who flashed the drive for me and he says the spindle motor is dead. Oh yeah, FAST, the drive didn't attempt to read the game.

8. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    First off sorry for bumping a month old thread. Fudgenuts bro who ever the person was that flashed this thing for you must have been drunk and cross eyed when then did it! Pad 101 is completely destroyed! I did some searching and found a fix I'm going to try tonight after work. I'll post some picks when it's done and if it works. Also it was very obvious after opening up the drive as to what was wrong with it, and I'm sure it's not the spindle motor. Instead of just cutting the trace this dude gouged out the whole thing destroying pad 101 in the process.

9. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Pad 101 needs 3.3v iirc... it isn't too difficult. Hopefully the firmware is flashed correctly and the keys are still there.

10. 431unknown

United States
    Yeah I'm hoping so too, cause who ever flashed it didn't make a back up of the key. It didn't look too hard in the tutorial I was reading. It had decent pics of where to bridge with wire and I'm pretty handy with my trusty Radio Shack 10$ special.

11. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Most would be modders will probably be using jungleflasher- as of several versions ago they started storing all keys extracted using it/made with it.

I have not used it so you might have to poke around the jungleflasher site/guides to find out how but I do recall it from a changelog.

12. 431unknown

United States
    Ok, so I fixed the pad 101 issue and the drive now works! Who ever did this it looked like their fix was to smear what looked like artic silver or some other grayish putty like substance into the gouge so it would make contact. It must have over time moved away from what little bit of pad was left and lost contact. I should have taken pictures like I said I was going to ( believe me it was bad), but I just don't have the time this 360 is being shipped to Afganistan for a friend of mines son who is stationed there. I was just taxed with fixing it up. I know there are a lot of reputable modders online that do good work but who ever this guy was he is definetly not one of them.

13. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    They sell some pen with conductive material to make contact. I forget what they are called but think it was a trace repair pen, conductive trace pen, or something similiar. Congratz on fixing it.