Xbox 360 controller w/ improved d-pad for the holidays (RUMOR)

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Terminator02, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Terminator02
    OP

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    We've got it on good authority that sometime this Holiday season, Microsoft will launch a new Xbox 360 controller with a rather unique d-pad. According to our trusted source, when one rotates the d-pad ninety degrees on this new controller, it'll raise up about a quarter of an inch -- a modification apparently revealed to be targeted at fighting game fans.

Could it be a version of that nifty (yet ugly) European controller tie-in for Pro Evo 2009? Will it replace the new Xbox 360 S controller (pictured above)? Or will it be a separate, special controller? We've got plenty of questions and will try to dig up some more info, so stay tuned.[/p]
    [​IMG] Source (Joystiq)

omg will the xbox finally have a capable d-pad??

Edit: Confirmed by Major Nelson:

My favorite youtube comment reguarding this: "This took 5 years?"

2. Rockman GFF

Member Rockman GFF GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Get an XCM Shell.

Problem solved.

3. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Well, about time really.
    Begs the question why the redesigned 360 didn't apparently ship with these improved controllers.

4. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    but i just bought mine [​IMG]

5. 1Player

Member 1Player GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I hate playing fighting games on the xbox because of the d pad
    this is a long overdue fix...

6. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    I don't get it. I only used the D-Pad if I was FORCED to. Same goes for the PSP's analogue stick.

7. Sevael

Member Sevael GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Raising it up a quarter of an inch won't solve anything. The entire internal mechanism needs a complete design overhaul.

The 360's d-pad sucks because it's essentially a round-gate 4-switch stick, rather than a true d-pad. (Disassemble the controller to see it.) They need to put a small PCB with four contacts right below the plastic to make it a real d-pad, the same way Nintendo and Sony do.

8. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    True, Dpad feels like a flat analog stick.
    maybe something like the PS dpad would be better

9. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    The only bad thing with the Xbox controller is the D-Pad, otherwise it's by far my favorite controller out there. It fits my hands perfectly and everything from clicky buttons to springy bumpers makes me hard... In a video gaming sort of way. The D-Pad just always sucked, especially when you have games where you can map stuff to 8 directions on the D-Pad (like Fallout 3 and Oblivion). Gets quite hard to quick switch between Lincoln's Rifle and using a Stimpack.

I could use a new controller soon anyway, my B button is getting worse.

10. minoplis

Newcomer minoplis Advanced Member

Brazil
    About damn time they decided to change that awful d-pad. Hope the new d-pad is better, if they actually change it.

It's kinda off-topic, but since we're talking about d-pads, I found this Wii controller last week:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44216

From the pictures, it looks amazing, bought one of these, let's see how it works out when it finally arrives.

11. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    yeah, I do like the xbox controller's feel, but i like the way the ps3 controller is more symmetrical and the analog sticks are next to each other. It makes it seem like knowing exactly where I'm pointing the stick is easier, and countering movements that I do with my other controller is simpler, but the controller does have horrendous trigger buttons (R2 and L2). I find the best fix for them is this, but then again, Sony should have already fixed it in a revision (just like microsoft)

12. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Really? I can't stand the symmetry between buttons and analog sticks. I know some people live and breathe by Playstation controllers, but even having had a Playstation controller from the PSX and PS2, I still can't find it better than the Xbox one. Yet again I don't touch my Playstation 2 a whole lot nowadays. Playstation controllers are also more "clicky" instead of "springy" and I'm more of a "springy" guy, if that made any sense at all. I think it's also because I used a Gamecube and a Gamecube controller before I even got a Xbox (although my brother was on the original Xbox 90% of the time to play Halo 2) so the Xbox's controller and the Gamecube one are both rather similar in layouts (sorta). Buy to each his own [​IMG]

13. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    I actually used the gamecube controller too, as I didn't get a PS2 until waaay late in it's lifetime, I got a ps3 a year after getting the PS2. I personally hated the gamecube's R and L buttons, and I thought the second Analog stick (the C stick) was way to stumpy, once I went to the PS2 I couldn't really stand it (and the weird buttons layout)

14. Guild McCommunist

United States
    I have probably the same complaints, most dual stick stuff didn't work as well on the Gamecube, and the triggers were half springy, half clicky. I just thought the general layout was good though, in terms of where things should be. If you look at a controller in having two "levels", I enjoy each level having one set of buttons and one analog stick, instead of it being two analog sticks on one level and all the buttons on the other. Given time I can probably learn to love the Playstation controller though, it's not terrible, I'm just too broken in with my Xbox one (my other console is a Wii which is completely different controls, plus I don't use a Classic Controller for that) to really appreciate the Playstation one.

But I digress, sorry. [​IMG]

15. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    If they raise it a bit it'll be like a digital Joystick though which fighting game fans will like (digital control works better for fighting games for some reason)

16. Zeroneo

Member Zeroneo GBAtemp Fan

Portugal

Confirmed i guess.

17. Terminator02
    OP

United States
    I swear i was just about to update this when you posted that, I'll do it anyway

18. Sevael

Canada
    This won't satisfy many. People who want a digital joystick will go out and get an arcade stick. Using a mini one with your thumb instead is no consolation. And it still does nothing to help the accuracy of the d-pad in general. Pad players won't be helped out by this revision at all.

After watching that video, it's clear that this won't be of any benefit for fighting games. I laughed out loud when I saw what this new design is all about, because the 'disc' trait of the d-pad is not the problem at all. The problem lies with the entire internal design and the fact that it's a stick, not a d-pad. MS totally wasted their money with this redesign as it does absolutely nothing useful. I'll gladly eat my words if I turn out to be wrong, but I see nothing here that makes even the slightest improvement in areas where it's actually needed. This new d-pad is still just a stick masquerading as a d-pad, so all the same issues will remain. Only a real d-pad will bring about any real improvement.

19. Cortador

Member Cortador GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you had truly payed attention, you would notice there were some other changes besides the D-pad (and button colors).

I'm getting this and not to play fighting games (Which i already have a fightstick for that), but simply because of the other improvements this controller had. [​IMG]

20. Sevael

Canada
    If you had paid attention, you'd see that my comments were directed at the d-pad alone. I said nothing about the other parts of the controller because they are clearly not important to me. [​IMG]