Xbox 360 Ban Wave (Marketplace hack related)

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Devin, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Devin
    OP

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    There was an exploit that surfaced a little while ago that allowed you to get free games from Xbox Live by creating an XBL account for certain regions. Many games and DLC items were then shown as free on the Marketplace. If you downloaded said games/DLC you're at risk for being banned. What type of banned?

People are reporting console, and profile bannings. (Not only the new account you made but the account you are playing the games on.)

tl;dr If you exploited the marketplace you're possibly going to get banned so wait for it.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Wow. I didn't know that'd require explaining. :rofl:

3. DaRk_ViVi

DaRk_ViVi Sending you back... to the future!

Apr 13, 2004
    Italy
    Asti, Italy
    LOL I don't think you can get banned if you create an account from a different country and download free games without any real exploit.

4. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    I dunno. When something like this happens on Steam (Skyrim's Dawnguard DLC was free a few days ago, for a couple hours), Steam only removes it from the profiles of everyone who took advantage of it.

It's Steam's fuckup, and they acknowledge it. I could see how an extremist fanboy could lobby this as one of those political cartoons, showing Microsoft slapping its users for its own mistake.

5. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I dont understand why people would go to the risk of getting themselves console banned.

wrettcaughn and EZ-Megaman like this.
  6. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
  7. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    it seems its targeting people who made a Bosnian store account

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Afraid I had to edit your title a bit. I wandered in here thinking there might have been an actual banwave going on again (it is about that time) but this is more of an exploit(ish) related one.

Still thanks for the news, I shall have to remember to add this to the list of once happened hacks when we get asked for simple "I have a USB flash drive and the willingness to use it" softmods for the 360.

Satangel and Devin like this.
  9. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Yay RGH!

Either go completely legit or do it right the first time.

10. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Microsoft does this? Sony didn't ban me when they accidently made the GoW collection and the Jak and Daxtar Ps3/Vita collection free in other regions. Got some free games!

11. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683505

And yes, neogaf mods changed that topic title from something like, "why did MS delete my legitimately purchased games?", to what you see now. :P

12. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Apparently that guy was just a pirate who tried to hide it though.

13. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    I created a chinese account to get ac3 free and have not been banned

14. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    But that didn't actually require any sort of exploitation of the system. As mentioned in your previous post, the method used by some people is questionable. Not necessarily a bannable offence (MS' fault mainly), but still not something that could be seen as 100% legit. Having an account in another country is still legit :P

15. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I'm actually kind of surprised they did this. I mean, yeah, it's against the ToS, but this'd be a very bad time to start driving away customers for exploiting mistakes that Microsoft made. Quite frankly I don't care one way or the other what happens to my Xbox at this point, it's just another excuse to upgrade to a slim or ditch it for good.

16. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    EZ-Megaman likes this.
  17. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Instead of banning people, they should fire their shitty coders that allowed such a glitch to happen in the first place.

18. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    So... basically Microsoft screws up, and the customers get the punishment?

Classy.

19. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    While a good deal of the fault does fall on Microsoft for screwing up the marketplace so badly in the first place, they're well within their rights to issue bans - anyone who downloaded those games intentionally exploited the glitch, unless you seriously believe someone would create an account for a region with no Marketplace, load up the Marketplace anyways, and try 'buying' every game they searched. Bonus points for the people who signed out of that account, switched their Xbox region to Austria, loaded up the product page for Injustice or Arcania, signed in on that page, and 'bought' the game, signed out, loaded up the other one, and did the same thing.

All that said, though, I'm only surprised that MS issued bans for this because it's a crucial period for them to try and stop hemorrhaging customers instead of purposely driving them away, but then again they don't seem to acknowledge that Windows 8 or the Xbox One have issues either so it's pretty clear they don't think much of their customers in the first place.

20. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    exploiting a businesses loop hole is not ok...if you do it beware the backlash.

let's say you buy gas for your car and use a credit card...if the company doesn't charge it at that time but then charge you later that is entirely fair and proper. you don't get the product for free just because they messed up.

its all about intent. this guy knowingly used an exploit, he intended to steal a product (not buying something that costs money but taking anyway is stealing btw) and M$ banned him. rightfully so. I love loop holes very much but i don't think im innocent if i use them.

dalc789 likes this.