Xbox 360 3RROD

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Maz7006, Apr 27, 2009.

Apr 27, 2009

Xbox 360 3RROD by Maz7006 at 8:23 PM (1,919 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    I've had my 360 pro/premium for about 7 months now, and i'm absolutely loving it. When 3RROD will occur, and i know it will, im just gonna go void my warranty and fix it myself, at the same time i might as well flash it. The purpose of this thread is not to help me use Google to find how to fix or flash my 360. Basically i just want to see what tempers take of the matter. I've already checked out other threads on the matter.

3RROD is a pain in the ass i basically [​IMG] and personally I'd like to prevent it from happening, but like I've already said i know that its gonna happen either way, I'm sure all the rumors and facts about the elite doesn't have the problem, use a towel, keep it in one position etc etc are basically just defense mechanisms, lets face it nothing is perfect.

For Anyone Who has Gotten a 3RROD, Please post on this thread what happened exactly, that's IF you remember.

Eg.
    Possible Answers

1. Xbox - What type

2. What were you doing - Shooting Stuff (playing games, what game was it), Just turning it on, Watching a Film

3. Why you think it happened - Didn't handle it with care, turned it on for a horrendous amount of time, i think i was scammed.

Thank you to whomever posts.

2. blooddrake

Member blooddrake GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    this trick worked for jose el mexicano at screwattack

use the towel trick: grab one or two towels, put in your 360, power on for 20 minutes them power off for 15 minutes with the towel around,after 15 minutes remove and power on your 360, it should be fixed, works in all models

3. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    I already said that this thread is for people who have gotten this error, i don't need solutions, I can Google those. I don't tend to be "mean" but please learn how to read, its in damn BOLD font size 7 lol.

4. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    That mostly gives the "final blow" to your 360. Don't do it.

5. blooddrake

Brazil

i had this problem and i used that trick and worked, also it happend because i was playing for more than 6 hours of pro evolution. my 360 was premiun.

after the incident i sold my 360 and buyed a wii.... and ds

6. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    This is what i was looking for, sorry if you took my post offensively, but like i already said i just want to know what happened in the first place thanks for posting

7. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    Xbox 360 Pro

Call of Duty 4 (Free For All - Bog) [​IMG]

Not sure why it happened took perfect care of it, was extremely well ventilated.
    (Sent it to MS and in 2 weeks had another 360, Had for 9 months no more issues)

8. blooddrake

Brazil
    relax its ok.

9. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    For Gods sake dont use the towel trick, you might as well throw your 360 in the trash if your going to do that.

And Maz7006 with me and all my friends its been a completely random thing. Different models from different years, elites, arcades one day it just happens.

I dont think theres many precautions you can take to stop RROD, apart from making sure your 360 is well ventilated and stuff. And eve then one day it will probably strike.

10. FlatFrogger

Member FlatFrogger GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Personally if your 360 is still in some form of warranty, use it.

RROD isn't just overheating (sure it likely is) but it could be some other issue, in which case the box is dead and you've just voided your warranty.

Plus you get a free month of live out of it.

11. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    I honestly don't think i'll send my 360 of to MS from Lebanon, just thinking of the time it would get back( or even the time it takes to get sent) makes me shiver, hence my decision to fixing it yourself when it happens, but if i were in some other country, like EU or US, then yeah definitely i'll use my warranty to the fullest.

Thanks for posting p1ngy and Frogger [​IMG]

12. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    1: 360 Elite

2. I started getting corrupted graphics while playing Battlefield Bad company. Then it started freezing up. Couple weeks later, turned it on and got RRoD.

3. I know why mine died. I had it standing vertically on carpet floor. So, it wasn't getting enough ventilation and got dusty.

Towel trick works but eventually it stops. It kept me going for about another month but I eventually had to do the xclamp fix. Worked great. Ironically, I got banned a couple weeks later [​IMG]

13. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    I never knew the towel trick worked so damn well for some people, weird, anyway does anyone have any ideas how to deal with dust, i guess putting it in a well ventilated area gets rid of that problem, but is there anything i could help the 360 get the dust out.

14. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Honestly I said it before, and I will say it again, The towel trick is a suicidal fix, its only worth doing if your waiting for your 360 to get picked up, and you want to try and get some more play out of it. My 360 RROD a year ago, I replaced the clamps with bolts and replaced the thermal paste. Its still working fine now.

As for dust, its just common sense, keep it in a clean, level area with lots of space. You cant clean the dust out without opening up the 360 obviously. Thats also only worth trying if you have opened it up to flash it. Otherwise dont worry about that, because opening it voids the warranty.

15. kylsav

Member kylsav GBAtemp Regular

United States
    1. 360 Pro

2. Started Freezing while playing Guitar Hero 3, then finally RROD and would not start. would get extended play times with Gears of war and Halo but it started out of nowhere one day.3

3. Not sure why mine died just a bad unit i guess. was well taken care of and was not in a confined area. got a new unit and 5 months later the DVD drive died [​IMG] Had to repair myself (and with the help of these forms [​IMG] ) or pay a fee....

and again the Towel Trick will heat up components that are not supposed to get hot and will cause more damage too it, but honestly of Microsoft is sending you a new one who cares [​IMG]

16. blooddrake

Brazil
  17. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    I'm with p1ngy on this, no towel stuff --> better, you will make things worse, and thanks for the help p1ngpong, i still don't see why people are persistent on this whole towel thing, sounds ludicrous xD

Weird to see how many have gotten RROD, also for kylsav, weird how you got extended play time on other games, could it be that certain games do this :S, anyway thanks for posting.

18. kylsav

Member kylsav GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sorry must have not made myself clear on my last post. [​IMG] Its what happens when you post late at night.

I ment i played extended hours in gears of war with no problems but the next day all of a sudden when i went to play guitar hero 3 (Porbabily a much less demanding game) it started to freeze then red ringed, she never recovered. [​IMG]

Lucky now the E74 Error is covered by the extended warranty now so its not just the RROD no more. That was prob the 2nd most common error next to the RROD.

19. Maz7006
    OP

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    I see kylsav, it seems that playing immense amount of times on the damn thing kills it, thanks for the update, because it made me suspicious xD

Anyway, looking forward to more responses..

20. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Here's why it happens, based on my personal observations in repairing a LOT of RROD'd 360s.

The X-Clamps (but not only them... it's the general mainboard design that is TOTALLY FLAWED) start to bend the motherboard, first slightly, then a lot more.
    The motherboard fibreglass becames more duttile with high temperatures, and more prone than bending.

Be aware that when really heated up, the solderings won't broke, as they've got a bit of flexibility of their own (when heated).

The problems comes up with the cooling. When the motherboard cools, the thermal expansion reverts, thus breaking solder joints (which are now awkwardly bent by the now-flexed motherboard). Here's where the RROD originates.

It's probably not totally correct, but this should be the generic "why it happens".

In short... cooling will help, but not that much... It's pretty much random.