XBone: Microsoft releases information on what goes.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by ShadowSoldier, Jun 6, 2013.

1. ShadowSoldier
    OP

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Though much of this was kind of available and speculated upon for weeks now it seems Microsoft have released some hard information on what the state of play is and the online components. For those more used to the traditional "online is but a nice perk" and "get a cart/disc by any way you like and swap it with your friends" type arrangements with the previous consoles it makes for some grim reading.

As speculated online is a major focus of the console and it plays out as follows
    • The games on demand service is being expanded to allow and seemingly mandate simultaneous releases of games as physical discs and online games.
    • Discs will be available but for the most part they are the "boot-load of hard drives"* approach to bandwidth.
    • The steam approach of everything everywhere is being adopted.
    • For your actual xbone any local user/guest has access to everything. How this will play out with xbox live remains to be seen (as it stands the 360 has some interesting things for some games).
    • Family play -- up to 10 people can use games remotely from a single account.
    • "game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers" -- MS does not charge but presumably the publishers can.
    • However there does seem to be the option to give games to your friends (friends = being on your friends list for 30 days) though it is limited to one trade for a given licence/instance of a game.
    • Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch

Online requirements.
      The one most people were hugely concerned with was the online requirement
    • "With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."

A whole lot of downsides for a few kind of perks, by and large the reaction of GBAtemp's user's has been quite negative to this as it seems like a very unwelcome power grab. Some of the features might be kind of useful but most of it was solved years ago by lending a disc or tottering off to a friend's with disc in hand.

*for those unaware it is a phrase that has been attributed to various computer oriented people over the years concerning the transfer of data and runs something like "the latency sucks but never underestimate the bandwidth of a trunkload of hard drives/discs barreling down the freeway".

Thanks to sjones900 and ShadowSoldier (we co-opted his original post for this article) for the news.

a9cito and Ergo like this.

2. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Here comes the mob of angry fans and Microsoft trying their best to clarify it.

luigiman1928 and gamefan5 like this.
  3. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Well... in Microsoft's defense:

GameWinner likes this.
  4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Well I hope it either gets hacked or it looks like I will be finding a way to put the Playstation controller into a nice shell when I finally decide to get a new console (not a surefire thing at present).

5. RchUncleSkeleton

RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

Feb 2, 2009
    United States
    California, USA
    Mandatory internet connectivity for Single Player offline modes is complete horseshit. I haven't owned any of the past Microsoft consoles and I'm certainly not starting now.

kehkou, Riyaz, 2ndApex and 5 others like this.
  6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    ...who told you that soldiers over in the middle east don't have internet connections? They do, in fact they are allowed to use them periodically to talk with their families over communicators like Skype.

chavosaur and 431unknown like this.
  7. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Then they get worse with the one hour thing. Is this for real?

8. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Hasn't this already been posted? We've known about this for at least a few weeks.

Anyway, I need to tip my hat to Microsoft. Deciding between consoles can a lengthy, difficult process - so thank you for taking yours out of the running from the get-go.

9. Rockhoundhigh

Rockhoundhigh Man with a mission

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    Southern California
    Did Ubisoft design this console or something... jeez. At least they're finally phasing out this always-online garbage unlike Microsoft.

joshuatm, Bladexdsl and Celice like this.
  10. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    I didn't say they don't have internet connections. Of course they do. But as you said, it's for talking with families on a very shotty connection, it's not used for gaming.

11. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Microsoft is Xboned.

12. Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn ローレンス

Jan 22, 2007
    Well it look like xbox one will be 3rd this generation... I can imagine all the casual gamers buying it and taking it back to retailers after realizing it has to be connected every 24 hours.

Bladexdsl and RchUncleSkeleton like this.
  13. Eerpow

Eerpow *swoosh*

Sep 14, 2009
    ERROR!
    Okay not that big of a problem now but in the future? The day will come when the service is shut down and every game you bought becomes useless, even if it will take 10 to 20 years to happen.

Riyaz, joshuatm, Walker D and 3 others like this.
  14. Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn ローレンス

Jan 22, 2007
    That why consoles getting hacked is a good thing; it make useless items, useable.

15. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
  16. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    I do have to wonder where the hell this decision is coming from. I get it, they want to prevent piracy, and the major publishers have looked for a way around used game sales for quite some time. But is completely alienating a huge chunk of your audience right out the gate really the best way to do it?

Internet access can be more inconsistent than Nicholas Cage's filmography, even (or rather, especially) in the United States, the main market for this thing. How many returns are there going to be when people find out that they can't play games on the game machine they paid for?

I have to know. Is there some kind of "Springtime for Hitler" scheme going on here or did they make a colossal mistake and just decide to roll with it?

kehkou, Ray Lewis, gamefan5 and 2 others like this.
  17. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Oh, I was just bickering anyways. :P My point was, it's likely that the system would be connected anyways since the soldiers could use the "I use the Kinect as a chatting tool" argument... somehow... :P

18. sjones900

sjones900 GBAtemp Advanced Member

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    TX
    [​IMG]
    Microsoft finally publicly elaborates on the details of buying/selling used, borrowing and renting games. It seems that you will be able to borrow games from friends, however you must be on their friends list to do so. And as far as there being a fee for buying used, that is at the discretion of the publisher.

source

chartube12 likes this.
  19. 3bbb7

3bbb7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    Oh I sure am glad I can still watch tv, I mean I bought a console to watch tv, definitely not play games.

So you go on vacation, go to a friend's house, don't have internet at all, and you can't use any games.

20. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    What the frick happens to the games/console 25 years down the road? It won't be like my SNES, where I just pop in a cartridge. Nope. Servers are dead, games are dead, console is DEAD.

ekko25, 2ndApex, zerofalcon and 6 others like this.