xb360 controllers are made shitty!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by chartube12, Nov 2, 2013.

1. chartube12
    OP

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    on my 8th (soon to be 9th) xb360 controller since I bought the slim in September 2010. The left analog stick always ends up with perma drift either to the left or right. Every controller (except for my newest one) microsoft official brand controller.

Tired of this shit, I bought a rock candy controller 4 weeks ago. Overall used it about a total of 30 hours over the course of the last few weeks. Last night it too stop working properly and has perma drift to the right. Needless to say the store won't take it back because the 30 day warranty has expired.

In the past I have taken the metal clip from the right stick of another xbox 360 and used it has replacement. Temporary fixed if it worked. But would always end up failing again. Tried buying packs of replacement clips made originally for ps3 controllers and this too ended up with eventual failure.

Is there any xbox 360 controllers out there that are not shitty and will last more than 1-2 years?

2. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Maybe it's your usage.

3. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino for Hire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    It's deffo your usage.

Mine work for years n years ._.

4. chartube12
    OP

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    The xb360 gets used just on weekends. And if you google, this problem isn't an unique one.

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino for Hire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I used to use mine daily and extensively.
    Yet I never had a controller gone bad on me.
    Mate of mine also uses it daily and the same thing.

You're either just unlucky or ram to hard on the sticks.
    Also, you got clean hands when you play your 360?
    No sweaty palms etc?

6. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    I'm going to definitely say it's your usage. Don't get me wrong, I get the same exact issue, but it takes me months and months and months for this issue to even begin to appear, even on a heavily, daily used controller.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I honestly think this is just bad luck. Even the stock XBox 360 controllers are sturdy, either you throw the controller around or you're on an unlucky streak.

8. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    Nah, dual shock 3's are ultimate shitty, they are made of paper mache and crumble to pieces as soon as you touch them, horrible controllers imo 360's controllers are miles better and better built too, i have a black 360 controller for about 3 years now, if that was a dual shock 3 that would be in pieces by now.

Duo8 likes this.
  9. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    As others have mentioned, this sounds like it's your usage that is wearing them out so quickly.

However, this is just the nature of physical devices: they wear out. Analog sticks have always been touch and go - the N64 analog sticks featured a particularly poor mechanism and became proper unusable almost all the time. Humans just sucks at building anything that moves.

Every single Xbox 360 controller I own has drift in some manner. I don't usually notice it when they are connected to the Xbox (it has large dead zones, I suppose), but when I connect them to my PC and go into the controller calibration options in control panel, the sticks are always registering slight movement in one direction or another.

You could try the razer controllers? Apparently they are built like tanks.

10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    The only issue I ever had with an Xbox controller was where the cable began toward the top getting a short in it as it's pretty weak, but that was my own fault due to wrapping the cable improperly every time I brought to a friend's house or what have you. That was only one time, as for the controller itself and the analog sticks, never had them go haywire, malfunction, etc. This sounds like bad luck to me.

chartube12 likes this.
  11. chartube12
    OP

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Thank you for a respectful reply. Funny thing is I never had this issue before the slim was released (slim is the first xb360 not to die on me within a year thank god). I have had at least 1 xbox 360 since 2006. Makes me wonder if they started using cheaper parts. This is the first time since the n64/ps1 where I had a problem with controllers. My n64 was used 15X more often than my xb36- current usage. The only ever controllers to wear out on me before the n64 was the early snes controllers...But that was mostly mom squeezing the controls too tight while playing super mario world lol!

12. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    and don't forget if this was as common issue, there were a really lot more of complains about it...

13. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Had the same MS pad since 2008, still works as well as ever. D-Pad sucks, but that's an MS 360 pad for you.

Also have a Hori pad and a MadCatz pad. The Hori would be great but it's the old revision with major ghosting issues in some games. Yeah, they fixed it in later ones, doesn't do me a bit of good though since I'm stuck with the old one. The MadCatz seemed fine other than feeling really cheap and crappy LB RB buttons, but after not using it for a while and trying it again, it's got major issues with the sticks, similar to what you have.

14. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    The sticks are quite easy to fix or replace but to replace you need parts but just take it apart and see what the issue is. From my experience of fixing quite a few 360 controllers its just dust/dirt blocking the button or stopping the stick from moving in the desired way.