X and Y buttons for Slot-2 device

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by sibilla6, Oct 1, 2008.

Oct 1, 2008
  1. sibilla6
    OP

Newcomer sibilla6 Newbie

United States
    Hi, this subject is kinda hard to search so I apologize if it has been covered before.

Anyway, my question is rather simple. Is there a way to use the X and Y buttons of the DS in a GBA game? What I want is simply a software from a slot-2 device to reassign either the A or B button from GBA to DS's X or Y. It would help a ton in some sort of games like Megaman that I'm used to the DS layout. I've seen emulators like nesDS use the X and Y for different functions (turbo, etc) so it should be possible to reassign to slot-2 devices as well.

I'm using GBAexploader btw, but I'm willing to change if it is necessary.

Thanks in advance.

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    NES DS is an emulator for the DS, so it has access to the X and Y buttons. GBA games run natively in GBA mode, which does not have access to any DS-specific features, including the X and Y buttons. You'd have to physically modify the DS in order to make what you want possible.

3. Apex

Member Apex GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    I'm no expert, but from what I've heard, the DS doesn't emulate the GBA, it actually uses the hardware, therefore it's not just something you can tell it to do without rewiring.

4. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Correct. DS doesn't emulate GBA. It contains 99% of GBA's hardware inside. Minus the link port and GB/C processor.

5. sibilla6
    OP

Newcomer sibilla6 Newbie

United States
    I see. Oh well, I guess I will have to live with it. It really annoys me though when I play Magaman Z with A and B. When I go back and load up ZX which mainly uses Y and B, it feels so much better.

6. ZPE

Member ZPE GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I know what you mean, I use Y and B in Mario Bros. games too.

7. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    There is a modchip that allows for this. Not sure if it's worth your while though [​IMG]

8. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    QFT

Here's the chip. Unfortunately, it only does A/B in rapid fire mode while the L/R mode is normal. [​IMG] Honestly, couldn't they have included a few more lines of code to handle normal A/B (as well as other input)...