WWE will be making a wrestling RPG, announces server closures for WWE 2K19 and WWE 2K20

Scott-Steiner-math-promo-e1623985051964.jpeg

It looks like WWE is going to be announcing a new wrestling RPG soon. On a Q1 2022 earnings call, WWE Chief Brand Officer Stephanie McMahon discussed the importance of video games to the WWE brand and quietly dropped a reference to the upcoming RPG. "We continue to see strength in the performance of our mobile games, with 2K and Scopely’s Supercard and Champions, and recently signed a new deal in the role-playing game space that will be announced soon." She also claims that 80% of WWE fans self-identify as gamers, meaning video games will likely continue to be an important part of WWE's business for a long time.

In the realm of traditional wrestling video games, McMahon also claimed that the latest release in the WWE 2K franchise, WWE 2K22, was "a commercial and critical success, with the highest Metacritic scores on both Xbox and PlayStation platforms, in franchise history, with over 5.6 million hours viewed on Twitch to date.” (Currently, WWE 2K22's Metacritic score range between 72 for the PC version and 78 for the Xbox Series X|S version.) This comes after a developer change and a break from the franchise, as Japanese developer Yuke's, who had developed 18 years worth of WWE 2K games, left the franchise after WWE 2K19. A new developer, Visual Concepts, took over for WWE 2K20, which was reviled upon release and led to a two-year break for the franchise. It was also announced today that these two titles, WWE 2K19 and WWE 2K20, will have their servers shut down on June 30, 2022.

Meanwhile, original WWE 2K developer Yuke's will be developing a game for WWE rival AEW, titled AEW Fight Forever.

:arrow: Source

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very curious to meet the target demographic for these kinds of games

I just have never understood the appeal of fakey wrestling

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That AEW game is taking forever.. It's been at least a year since they've shown anything i think.

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
But, will it have visual novel style dialogue and romance options ? That way it'll be more accurate, plus i don't see anything other than bromance going on between two half naked baby oiled grown men touching each other

Last edited by YuseiFD,

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
i swear an indie wrestling RPG is currently in development...

we need something original what we need is a like a fortnite type game like a battle royale so to speak.

rich-man-homer.gif

seriously is wrestling still a thing?

Reactions: Ahmir

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The best bit of the whole article is that @relauby used a rival wrestling company picture for a WWE story. But then I'm sure Impact wrestling will be happy as they need all the free advertising they can get for the terrible shows they put out on TV every week :rofl2:

• Haha
Reactions: Flame and CoolMe

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't played a wrestling game in a while. Not because I didn't like them, but because I felt like the past games were better. That said, haven't paid any attention to the modern ones.

Reactions: CoolMe

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oof! I'd like to breed in-game my favourite female wrestlers.

"You've found Creatine! Use?"
"Your Wrestler has gotten stronger + testicular cancer!"

relauby

Idiot Child
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The best bit of the whole article is that @relauby used a rival wrestling company picture for a WWE story. But then I'm sure Impact wrestling will be happy as they need all the free advertising they can get for the terrible shows they put out on TV every week :rofl2:
I just wanted to use the legendary Steiner Math promo because I love it

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just wanted to use the legendary Steiner Math promo because I love it
It's the greatest unscripted moment in wrestling history even better than the Shockmaster debut. I have posted the video so as everyone can marvel at the genius of Scott Steiner.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't played a wrestling game in a while. Not because I didn't like them, but because I felt like the past games were better. That said, haven't paid any attention to the modern ones.
Same here. Haven't played any past '16, it was the last good one imo. Though i enjoyed '14 a little better.. Unless you were talking about the '06/07 era with the GM mode etc. Then yeah those have a certain charm to them, though i think the (stiff) combat aged a bit imo..
Oof! I'd like to breed in-game my favourite female wrestlers.

"You've found Creatine! Use?"
"Your Wrestler has gotten stronger + testicular cancer!"
Creatine doesn't give testicular cancer with long use. You're thinking steroid shots..

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't wrap my head around how a wrestling RPG would look like. But I guess if they can make it work, perhaps a wrestling Musou game might happen one day?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.