WTF? Why Did My Wii Banner Brick?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Centimetro, Jun 18, 2010.

Jun 18, 2010
  1. Centimetro
    OP

Member Centimetro GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So I haven't installed any WADs or anything in months. from reading around here, I have what is probably a "Banner brick"? All I've done with my NTSC-U Wii lately is play Mario Galaxy 2 and a little Kart. I have system menu 4.1 downgraded from 4.2 (all updates done according to directions on this forum. not official updates), which I did a looong time ago. I seriously haven't hacked my Wii in forever. Plus, it's acting very inconsistently.

At first I noticed a few days ago that sometimes the Wii would freeze up at the warning screen, the "Press A button to continue" prompt would never appear. Eventually it would usually come on, and I could go back to playing Mario Galaxy 2.

But today, it started getting stuck consistently. I tried for half an hour to turn the Wii on, and it would NOT get past this screen.

Then finally it starts working, but now it says my system files are corrupt a few seconds after I get into the Wii menu. Every time.

It loads up consistently now, but each and every time it gets to menu it has that error! And I truly have not installed anything new, so most of the guides which tell me to uninstall the offending wad are meaningless to me!

I have no problem doing anything with my Wii. If i act fast enough and try to load a game or enter a channel or menu before it crashes, then it won't crasjh at all. It's only siting on the system menu for more than 2 seconds or so that messes up the Wii.

I'm pretty much fully loaded... I have a mod chip, I have bootmii installed as boot 2, I have full access to homebrew channel, I have a NAND Backup from a year ago... so I guess I just need to know where to go from here to get my Wii fixed since there is no specific wad for me to uninstall??

Anything I can do that would keep all of my save files intact? Help!

Thanks in advance!!

2. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    Use bootmii to boot into hbc, then use dop-mii or similar to reinstall your system menu and IOS'.

See if that sorts it out.

3. Centimetro
    OP

United States
    Thanks, I've never used this app before. I reinstalled the system menu. As for the IOS, at the part where it says "select the IOS to Dop", so I just go through and install every one?

4. C.S.I.

Member C.S.I. GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    For System Menu 4.1, you need to install and DOP IOS60. (The DOP is somewhat optional - read up)

Make double certain this is NOT a STUB, that will Brick you immediatly, although I dont think DOP-Mii will install Stubs.

Or you could Install IOS70 (1st Step), and then System Menu 4.2 (2nd Step)

Hint: Never install a New System Menu, without ensuring you have its corresponding IOS 1st.

5. wes11ph

Member wes11ph GBAtemp Fan

Afghanistan
    is your wii connected online?
    check if you got a corrupted mail first,
    but
    make sure to install first the SM cIOS.

6. Centimetro
    OP

United States
    Yup, its connected. And i think you are right.

After some research and testing I think I actually have the rare Mail Brick talkd about in this thread http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=199396

I can access the system menu through maintenance mode with message board disabled, which makes me think its the mail brick

Before I found this out, I was screwing around with any Title Deleter MOD, trying to delete stuff that looked weird to me.

I accidentally deleted my homebrew channel, and I'm not sure how I can get it back now because the System menu wont stay open long enough for me to do banner bomb. and i cant access SD menu from maintenance mode.

Are there any other ways to install homebrew channel on 4.2 besides banner bomb, so I can try and fix the mail brick? I still have boot mii, just no homebrew channel [​IMG]

7. Centimetro
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I got a little carried away out of desparation [​IMG] Thanks, I looked up smash stack and got homebrew channel back now. Unfortunately, the FS Toolbox mailbox fix didn't work for me, still getting the error. So frustrating.

Wii definitely works in maintenance mode though, so I really think it might have to do with the message board. I wonder if I should try the Format System Memory fix.

Lol, did format and it still doesnt work [​IMG]

my NAND backup, on the other hand, did work! Guess i never got to figure out what my exact problem was, but at least its fixed. now time to go through and restore all my saves

8. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Try Comex NAND Formatter and see if that works for you.

9. Drag0nflamez

Member Drag0nflamez GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    ehhm, you missed the latest sentence?

10. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Ups, my bad [​IMG]

11. Centimetro
    OP

United States
    haha, its all good. thanks anyway

I think I figured out what the problem was now, or at least I have an educated hypothesis... just wanted to post it in case someone later needs help and finds this thread through the search engines or wahtever...

Turns out my problem was twofold. I recently moved apartments, and my Wii setup is a little different now than it always was. To make a long story short, I think my Wii was overheating ever since I moved, which was causing it to not start up properly.

I figured this out because my restored nand eventually started to repeat the symptoms of the old one, after my wii was left on for a long time. It wouldnt even turn on at first, and then it was stalling at warning screen again. Letting it cool off took those symptoms away.

Seems that the eventual system files corruption was probably a random event from my Wii failing to start up so many times. I guess one time it tripped itself up at a bad time while loading the system menu, and it resulted in long term corruption.

I've now turned off Wiiconnect24 standby mode, and created more airflow to my Wii. Hopefully that will stop it from getting so hot in the future.

Thanks to everyone who responded, and to the genius behind bootmii...