WTF Rom trimming

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by leinad, May 6, 2008.

May 6, 2008

WTF Rom trimming by leinad at 2:50 PM (2,730 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. leinad
    OP

Member leinad GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    So, today Ive got a new card, updated it to the 2.55 xmenu and then startet to copy over games from my TTDS.
    But, the games on the TTDS were trimmed, never knew that trimmed roms works on N-Card o.o !
    So now, I wanted to ask, if there are any side effects using trimmed roms on the N-Card...
    (Not working WIFI / Download Play / freezes whatever)

2. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    No games, when trimmed, don't work with download play ... it depends on the cart ...

3. leinad
    OP

Germany
    Thats why Im asking ^^ actually I don't have a PC when meeting to play something, so it would be nicer to know before if I can trimm the roms or not x)

4. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    I never trim roms ... just in case ... it also depends on the game in question, as well as the cart ...

5. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    It doesn't really depend on the cart (except that download play just doesn't work well or at all on certain carts). If you overtrim certain roms it will break download play, regardless of which flashcart you're using. Other problems with trimmed roms are exceedingly rare, and never happen unless the roms are overtrimmed.

NDSTokyoTrim does not overtrim DS roms.

6. leinad
    OP

Germany
    Iknow what trimming is, how its done etc [​IMG] Don't tell me that.

The thing is, that "officialy" (... can't find any info about it on shops tuts for N-Card etc) trimming hasn't been shown for the N-Card o.o (Lol wtf, normaly every card supporting trimmed roms has been market with that feature~)
    AFAIK Trimming hasn't worked on old firmware but now it seems to work.

I want to know (and thats why Im asking specialy here in the N-Card section) how well that trimming thing works with the N-Card&Clones, if it might damage my N-card etc...

7. yankees26eac92

Member yankees26eac92 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well I trimmed every rom on my fire card (its a clone) and they all work fine. I see no problem with them.

8. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    I suggest using NDSTokyoTrim for trimming games. Its just about the best trimmer out there for Nintendo DS games (Works on GBA games as well), it checks the rom and maintains the extra bits of data needed for WiFi support iif its a wifi game, it never over trim games and so on. Its one of the best rom trimmers out there. At any way, 99% of the games out there work fine trimmed though there are some games that get buggy when trimmed.

9. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    I manually trim my ROMS. Iiit is just as accurate and removes the guess work of which Trimmer to download.
    Just download a hex editor. Open the rom in the editor. Scroll down to where the 00 or FF start repeating. Delete everything after that point. IIt never breaks a ROM.

10. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Really, if all the feature were on the trimmed roms when you used the TTDS, they should all owrk now. The only problem I've seen with the trimmers is that the download play icon vanishes from the menu, so if the N-Card requires you to set the save properly for download play it might take a few tries, but they all work for me.

11. BrianTokyo

Member BrianTokyo NDSTokyoTrim Dev.

Japan
    That could lead to a corrupted rom if the last byte of the wifi block was 00 or FF