iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a XBox 360 and a spare Linkysis WRT54G router (v7). I was wondering if I can somehow use the router to connect to the Xbox 360 via the ethernet cable, and use the wireless capabilities of the router to connect to my other wireless router (connected to the net)... thereby turning the WRT54G into a cheap wireless module for my 360?

Thanks in advance, Andy

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
Could this possibly help? Refers to an american product but maybe you could find a UK alternative?

Also, I've heard of those adaptors, which simulate an ethernet connection, but without the wires. I.e. one bit plugs into the ethernet port in the back of your router, then another bit plugs into the back of your xbox. Then the device just transmits the signal via. RF or something, but the xbox thinks its just a wired connection. I think there's a company called nyoko or something that does those.

Strokemouth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a XBox 360 and a spare Linkysis WRT54G router (v7). I was wondering if I can somehow use the router to connect to the Xbox 360 via the ethernet cable, and use the wireless capabilities of the router to connect to my other wireless router (connected to the net)... thereby turning the WRT54G into a cheap wireless module for my 360?

Thanks in advance, Andy

I don't remember which options were in the stock Linksys firmware, but I have a WRT54G running Tomato. With this, you can set it as a wireless bridge. Are you SURE you have a v7? You're pretty much SOL if that's the case...I think dd-wrt can work with v5 or v6, but not v7 last I checked.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, unfortunately, it's v7.0.... meaning atheros based chipset. I think I'd be better off buying a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54, or G54S. The "HP" version has extended range (high power) due to amplifier.

I'm just wondering, there's no way at all to get this router to work as access point/bridge without new firmware right?

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Check if OpenWRT supports it ....

If so it's not hard to put the Wifi end of the box into client mode and then setup IP forwarding or bridging to the switch end.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
i was looking into this cuz my ethernet cable was not long enough to reach the 360 from the router, so i would have to take the 360 off it's table and put it infront of the tv. but then i remembered i still have the 30 ft. long "Xbox System Link Cable". so now problem is solved, but i'm still interested in more advanced firmwares for my router, other than openwrt, tomato, and dd-wrt.... which would u guess recommend?

ceraphis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to answer your question yes it can be done. I'm using dd-wrt right now with my 360 and it works great as a wireless bridge to my other linksys router. I highly suggest installing dd-wrt on whatever router you use, its VERY easy to set up as a bridge. You know how you have a laptop and you scan for wireless networks and join them with an easy interface? You can do that to join as a bridge with dd-wrt. Very user friendly. Check here for supported devices alas that v7 doesnt look supported. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Apparently there is some awesomely cheap router that works great with dd-wrt im sure its somewhere on that wiki.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM