writing to gba from slot-1

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by knoxvillz, Oct 6, 2008.

Oct 6, 2008

writing to gba from slot-1 by knoxvillz at 4:25 AM (1,907 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. knoxvillz
    OP

Member knoxvillz GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I dunno if this in the right place but i was just wondering if there is a way to write gba games to gba flashcarts that do not have any expandable memory from the slot-1? i would like to write from slot-1 as i don't have any kind of linker...

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    you have to know about the harware your flashing to in the first place to make a custom loader app on a slot 1 to even work. There isn't any. you can try these places if there are any that might work for you:

http://www.gbadev.org/
    http://www.devrs.com/gba/

likelyhood is slim to none.

3. knoxvillz
    OP

United Kingdom
    i was actually hoping for something like gbaexploader but instead of it writing to a expansion pack, it would write to an actual flash cart instead

4. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    1. The 3-in-1 is a flash cart by any and all criteria I can think of.

2. The first responder was right, it's impossible to make something that just "writes to flash carts", they're all written to differently, so unless an app is made specifically for your flash cart, you're out of luck.

5. knoxvillz
    OP

United Kingdom
    ok, thanks, yeh i know the 3in1 is a flash cart but the two writers say that it "cannot find/detect an expansion pak" so i kinda wanted to differentiate between the 3in1 and with other flash carts. Anyway i think my problem is pretty solved here, i guess the mods can lock this thread now

6. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I remember seeing something like that (a Slot-1 Flasher) for the EZFA. IIRC, it was made by Smiths.

So it's definately possible. You just have to know in details how the linker flashs the cart.

7. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    If you mentioned you had a 3in1 or a m3 gba expansion pack in the first place we could have told you to go to the download section and download either gba exploader or GBAldr.

If you wanted to write to any other flash cart like Flash2Advance or XROM, those are slim to none.

8. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    You can write to FlashAdvance cartridges from slot-1 by using the "FAS1" software.

The other posters are correct. Each specific brand and model of flash cart is accessed in separate ways, so there's no way to make a generic "GBA flash cart flasher" program since you have to specifically program in the reading/writing code for every flash cart out there. The fact that sometimes this information is not public makes such efforts difficult.

9. wolfeman

Newcomer wolfeman Member

United States
    FAS1? sorry for the ignorance but what does that stand for? I have two F2A carts and would love to be able to write to them from a slot 1 device, I don't suppose it works with SAV files as well does it?

nevermind, found it in the downloads, looks like exactly what I need, thanks!!

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1699

10. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    http://code.google.com/p/fas1/

Stands for Flash Advance Slot 1.

I don't know how it handles saves, as I've only got a F2A Ultra that's most certainly incompatible with it.
    EDIT: I also don't have a slot-1 device, which is kind of a showstopper as well.

11. wolfeman

Newcomer wolfeman Member

United States

well, it's a cool little program and the link you posted is where the latest update is located. it DOES handle Saves but only for the first game on the cart.

Unfortunately my carts are incompatible. I wish I could find my GBA Linker or get the stupid F2A USB Writer to work.