Writing to a miniSD in 2018

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Avalonhaze, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Avalonhaze
    OP

Avalonhaze Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys,
    I did brief search of the boards before coming in with this question. I recently bought a SuperCardSD for my GBA but despite acquiring two separate card readers and several 2GB miniSD cards I can't get my Windows 10 PC to recognize them. I often get ''the directory name is invalid' or the PC doesn't respond to the card being inserted at all. Anyone experienced this? Anyone still playing with their GBA lol. Cheers

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Three main choices
    1) The card reader is bad. If the SD or microSD side works though then that is not likely as they are electrically the same thing.
    2) The miniSD is bad. Possible as these things have not been made in several years
    3) I have not seen a straight miniSD reader in many years, and they were extremely rare when miniSD was current. To that end I imagine you are using a miniSD to SD adapter. This could be broken. They are not as bad as microSD to miniSD adapters but issues are not unexpected.

After this I am looking at oddities like SD memory not working with your reader as it is all about SDHC or something. Alternatively the cards could be partitioned as something else.

I should also say the GBA supercards are not great (they have not been made in many years, there is then a reason you can still find them and so cheaply) so maybe consider another type of flash cart.

Avalonhaze likes this.
  3. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    Are your cards fake?

4. Avalonhaze
    OP

Avalonhaze Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2018
    United Kingdom
    The miniSDs? Well they could be fake I guess I have no real way of knowing. The SuperCardSD loads a menu when they're directly inserted so I suspect they're real as this is a behavioral change from simply inserting an empty adapter

5. Avalonhaze
    OP

Avalonhaze Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Oh actually the whitescreen I'm getting might be because the GBA BIOS is missing

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    BIOS is missing? Do what now?

If the Nintendo logo down the bottom is messed up or missing then it is usually a dodgy cart or contact issues with the cart. You should not have to provide a BIOS for any GBA flash cart, only a select few emulators if you want to be really accurate or they are programmed in such a way that they need it (I tend to only see that for badly made android emulators these days).

7. Avalonhaze
    OP

Avalonhaze Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I was merely working on the advice of the guy who made this