Hacking Write Protected?

personperson

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been using a 16gb micro sd with my DSTwo since I bought it and for the most part it has worked.

I wanted to put some new files onto the micro sd so I put it into the adaptor it came with and tried to copy them on, only to find that my micro sd was now write protected.

I can't delete or put new files on and my sav files aren't even keeping, so basically it has become unusable.

Anyone know how to fix this?

I've tried the trick of sticking the micro sd into a sd card adaptor and switching the lock slide to unlock but it hasn't worked.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
@ game dragon: did you not see he's already tried the SD adaptor switch

Anyway - I've not had this problem with a MicroSD card but did with a USB Memory stick - turned out the USB stick was f**ked,

However, it might not be the case for you... a Google search came up with this. Look @ the 'SD Write Protect Problems: slider tab/software' section might help

Summary:
> It MIGHT be the switch on the adaptor need to be 'in-between' Lock and Open
Have you another one to try ??
> Could it be your actual card reader - have you another one to try ??
> There is a registry entry that can be changed by Antivirus software (the link on the post DOESN'T seem to go to the fix though)
1. Click Start->Run.
2. Type regedit and click OK.
3. Save your registry settings by clicking file > Export > save. This is the bacup taken in case something messes up.
4. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE by clicking on the + sign next to it.
5. Open SYSTEM by clicking the plus sign next to it.
6. Open CurrentControlSet.
7. Open Control.
8. Open StorageDevicePolicies
9. Right click on WriteProtect and click modify.
10. If the value data is 1 change it 0 and click ok.
11. Repeat steps 7 to 10 for ControlSet001 and ControlSet002 .
12. Close Registry editor and its done. You might have to reboot.
> The card may be f**k - Can you back it up & tried reformatting with the panasonic formatter ??
(You might need to do a FULL format instead of a 'quick' one)

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 16gb Samsung MicroSD that belongs to a friend, same issue here. Nothing I have tried works for me, and the regedit fix that CanonFoddr posted... well, those entries don't even exist on my pc (Win7 x64)

Only thing I haven't tried is a low-level format with DBAN. If that can't fix it, then the thing is just fucked.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
plasma dragon007 said:
I have a 16gb Samsung MicroSD that belongs to a friend, same issue here. Nothing I have tried works for me, and the regedit fix that CanonFoddr posted... well, those entries don't even exist on my pc (Win7 x64)

Only thing I haven't tried is a low-level format with DBAN. If that can't fix it, then the thing is just fucked.Sorry about that - That registry tip didn't say WHAT OS it was for... but if you looked @ the link I gave for http://www.retire-asia.com/microsd.shtml.... you would've also seen
QUOTEThere is also a USB flash card write protect setting in the Windows registry which can be changed by anti-virus programs. It can be reset manually using regedit. See the fix in our SD blog comments. Note that registries differ between XP, Vista and Windows 7 systems.
so perhaps there IS a registry fix for Win7 - just in a different place

EDIT: Apparently there was a line I missed in that regfix
'Note: If the registry key StorageDevicePolicies key does not exist, you will need to create it'
Whether this is why you couldn't find it - I don't know

personperson

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah none of these things worked, although I did manage to get it formatted through a format program and I doubt I did the registry thing right, but now I have a blank sd that doesn't let me copy anything to it.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
plasma dragon007 said:

Only thing I haven't tried is a low-level format with DBAN. If that can't fix it, then the thing is just fucked.Sorry about that - That registry tip didn't say WHAT OS it was for... but if you looked @ the link I gave for http://www.retire-asia.com/microsd.shtml.... you would've also seen
QUOTEThere is also a USB flash card write protect setting in the Windows registry which can be changed by anti-virus programs. It can be reset manually using regedit. See the fix in our SD blog comments. Note that registries differ between XP, Vista and Windows 7 systems.
so perhaps there IS a registry fix for Win7 - just in a different place

EDIT: Apparently there was a line I missed in that regfix
'Note: If the registry key StorageDevicePolicies key does not exist, you will need to create it'
Whether this is why you couldn't find it - I don't know

Suppose I should add that I don't think its even a computer problem. Used 3 different readers (2 microSD USB readers (scratch, 3 actually) and used my brothers netbook through a SD adapter) and multiple phones, will not format in any.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?