Wrecked Nintendo DS Lite - Need Opinions and Experiences

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by HombreDeAlma, May 7, 2014.

1. HombreDeAlma
    OP

HombreDeAlma Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2014
    United States
    Hello, today I found some pretty neat stuff at the nearby swapmeet (Gameboy Pockets among other cool junk.) I also found this white Nintendo DS Lite for around 5$.
    It unfortunately has a dead battery, missing shoulder buttons, a non-working bottom screen and appears to have sound issues. The shell could use replacement as well.
    IMAG0064.jpg IMAG0065.jpg
    Would this DS be worth fixing up? I've replaced GBASP shells in the past, so it shouldn't be that difficult for me.

If by chance someone has experience with replacing the shells of these Lites, could you tell me of a place that sells good quality replacement shells that come in strange and unusual colors? Thank you.

2. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I'm not speaking from any kind of experience or research of the prices of parts, but if you're looking at replacing the case, buttons, screen, battery and maybe more, i doubt it would cost less than buying a working one.

3. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    It might be a little bit less than buying a new one...i'd only go that route if you want it to work on as a project (i.e. if you want to use some 3rd party case anyways). Buying and swapping in new L and R triggers shouldn't be too terrible if the case needs replacing anyways.....as for the rest of the issues, it may or may not be as simple as reconnecting loose wires.

4. Tokopimv

Tokopimv Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2012
    Netherlands
    Probably not. The total cost of the parts is pretty high and there's also the risk of breaking it even more when trying to fix it(I speak out of experience...).

Edit: Also, the lower screen is probably broken, because if the wires were not connected properly the Ds wouldn't even turn on.

5. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    You might be right about the bottom screen.....I've never had one with a screen issue, might just have gotten knocked pretty hard or something and the screen is therefore wrecked....I still stand by my position if this is gonna be used as a project system, else it might be better off to just list it on ebay for the five bucks you paid and see what you can get for it.

6. HombreDeAlma
    OP

HombreDeAlma Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2014
    United States
    Wow. I never noticed how cheap the Nintendo DS Lites were going for on ebay.
    Not sure if I should sell it how it is, or try to repair it anymore. Will prices on it probably rise in the future?
    I'll try to at least see if the bottom screen works somehow.

Anyhow, I'd like to know more about the quality of the replacement shells if anyone has experience with them.

7. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    The replacement shells tend to be a little on the cheaper end. They feel and work great at first but I ended up having the hinge on mine crack a bit quicker than the stock one did.

Thomas83Lin likes this.
  8. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I guess go for it if you like the idea of repairing it as a project, but if you just want a working DS, maybe just buy one.

9. HombreDeAlma
    OP

HombreDeAlma Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2014
    United States
    Final status update.
    Seems the sound works fine, I tested out Kirby's Nightmare in Dream Land and the top screen works perfectly.
    Bottom screen seems to react to touch, but doesn't display anything. Last but not least, it appears the DS doesn't read DS games inserted at the top.

I know my options now, thank you very much for your input everyone. I greatly appreciate it.