Wow my R4 just corrupted 2 of my microsd's

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by NonStopInTheMix, Oct 26, 2007.

Oct 26, 2007
  1. NonStopInTheMix
    OP

Member NonStopInTheMix GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Yeah it might sound weird byt my R4 has been acting up lately. I had a kingmax 1gig and it stopped working recently, i kept getting the "sd card error" when i tried to boot up my R4. I tried formatting with my computer and it said it couldnt do it so i took it to an electronics store where the guy i bought it from said it was corrupted. So i got an exchange for a kingston 1gig instead. but today my kingston is no longer read by my r4.

My brother has an R4 and my microsd doesnt work in his, but HIS microsd works in both our R4's.

Is there any diagnostic mode i can run so that the R4 can check up on itself? kinda like the function given for the g6real or the supercard ds one?

Is this a problem with my R4 and should i get it replaced?

any help is much appreciated [​IMG]

2. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Check the contacts of both the R4 and the DS, and where the R4 and MicroSD meet. Blow or use rubbing alcohol or both to clean the contacts. If that doesn't work, you're screwed, I guess... [​IMG]

3. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    Sounds more like your reader/ writer may be the culprit & not the R4.

4. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Oh yeah, that's right. Which MicroSD adapter are you using? The older ones that come with the R4 corrupt the SDs.

5. hova1

Member hova1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    lol, this happened to me yesterday but i figured out that somehow all my games where in the _system_ folder. it may sound stupid but you should check you're _system_ moonshl folders. maybe there's something in it that shouldnt be there?

6. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    If there's anything in the _system_folder, it shouldn't affect anything. Make sure that everything you need is there.

7. enigmaindex

Member enigmaindex the Scarecrow

Australia
    Yah, that was the problem for me. Both the R4 micro SD reader and my SD card adapter were the culprits, i went out and bought a USB micro SD card reader from a computer shop and it works like a charm now.

8. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    The same thing happened with my 1gb kington from taiwan. I think it was the old R4 card reader that did it. I also own 2 sandisk microsd cards and the reader has never broke them. I do think the kington taiwan is a very cheaply made microsd card and I avoid them.

9. NonStopInTheMix
    OP

Canada
    umm well first off id like to thank everybody for their input.

my problem is that for the last 4 days i could play games.. and then yesterday i turned on my ds and it sayd SD/TF error. I plugged it into my computer and it said that "the volume has not been formatted" and basically all my games were gone o.o

is this really the microsd reader that caused it? because it put game on my kingston and my r4 worked fine for a few days before this randomly happened...

10. NonStopInTheMix
    OP

Canada
  11. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    I think it probably is the reader. You said that it stops working when the card is in the R4, not when it is in the reader, but maybe the reader corrupts the card a bit then when the R4 writes the save file to the card it gets confused because of the corruptions and then corrupts it even more?

- Sam

12. NonStopInTheMix
    OP

Canada
    hmm thats the problem, i have no idea if my memory card writer is doing this.. because ive used it on my little brother's R4 and my sister's SupercardDS one and so far.. no complaints =\

and yes all my siblings have ds's =P *[​IMG]

13. pepper453

Newcomer pepper453 Newbie

United States
    I had this happen some time ago. I am convinced my issue was xp, the reader, swapping cards without removing the reader, then loading data to the device. You start writing, but to sectors on what the os thinks is the other card.... Then Bam corrupted card. I think this is what happened to mine.

14. NonStopInTheMix
    OP

Canada
    hmms well ive tried safely removing the media this time and it seems to work! no more corruption! thanks for the help everybody =D