Wow... Just.. wow..

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by m3rox, Oct 7, 2009.

Oct 7, 2009

Wow... Just.. wow.. by m3rox at 9:14 PM (1,870 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. m3rox
    OP

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    So here's the deal. I've been trying to get a job at the local McDonald's (among other places) for the past month. I kept calling in to check up on my application every couple days and kept getting excuse after excuse (usually it's 'the person doing the hiring isn't in, can I take your name and number?'). Today I call to check up on my application again (again, it's going on a month now since I turned in the application). I ask to speak to the person doing the hiring "she's not in right now, can I take a message", "I'm just calling to check up on my application", "Oh, well she just hired a couple people last week, and you should wait a week before calling again".

Ok, me:
    -never been in trouble with the law
    -don't smoke
    -don't drink
    -don't do drugs
    -clean shaven
    -educated
    -old enough to get a job
    -white

Am I THAT unhirable?

2. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    >educated
    >white
    >McDonalds

Don't bother, chances are slim you'll actually get hired. Just drop a bunch of CVs around retail stores near you and hope for the best.

3. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Yeah, it's the 'educated' bit that got you.

4. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    Why does "white" Make a difference

5. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    sucks for you dude
    try working in a mall, itll be awesome but thats my opinion

6. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    I'm guessing you've either never been to a McDonalds or have never actually noticed that the people behind the counter don't speak English aside from"Is that it" and being able to count.

7. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    In this recession they want educated people, age 30+, and have the necessary skills to do the job. So many people are still unemployed because of the skill requirements and the job openings are mostly highly skilled and specialized jobs that require certain skills. The best bet is to go to grad school or find an internship, trust me most employers in the electronics field admire my skills but probably won't hire me in this recession due to only being 22 even though I have more education in the field than most of the older workers in their 40's and above currently employed who only had technical school if even that.

8. vergilite

Member vergilite GBATemps Regular Clown

United Kingdom
    well actually i was hired at my macdonalds only 3 months ago [​IMG] so yeah guess i was just lucky

oh and im white [​IMG] and educated

9. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I know a lot of people want a job, but MacDonald's is a terrible place to work. At least do something like Burger King if you want to flip burgers. Yet again I haven't stepped foot in a MacDonalds for at least 10 years. I mean, what would I eat there? Bread?

My brother works at a local shopping market and it's working nice for him. He's got a lot of friends from high school working there (he's only just started college) and within less than a year he's gotten from bag boy to customer service. Not too bad.

Personally, I'm gonna score a job at my school doing tech work and stuff. They pay tons of cash in the summer for setting up all the computers in the school before school starts. And a trained chimp can plug in a few wires and press the "On" button or install a few programs. I also get to do some videotaping for local activities like choir concerts, award ceremonies, etc. It looks a lot better on a college resume (especially for someone who looks to major in film) than flipping burgers. I wouldn't even flip burgers though, since I don't eat them.

As per your problem, it really depends on the geographical area you live in. If you live in a rather small community (not like the sticks but I mean suburban/rural), it's a lot easier to get a job. If you're a kid in a big city, there's a lot of people who are older (maybe gangbangers or other things, but older) who they'd rather higher, no offense.

10. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    yeh, ide work at BK too rather than mc donalds
    free wopper every day [​IMG] and plus mc donalds burgers taste more kidish if u know wat i meen

11. vergilite

United Kingdom
    im officially taking offense [​IMG] I WILL SUE!

12. Guild McCommunist

United States
    In my defense you're lucky I didn't sue when I realized what was in the fries. Well, like a thousand other people did, though.

13. vergilite

United Kingdom
    BAD TIMES !! for macdonalds but i get payed to cook chicken so u can't blame me for the chips [​IMG]

14. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Actually...

15. outgum

Member outgum Pokemanz Master

New Zealand
    But yeah... If your educated DONT go work at McD's I suggest maybe a checkout operator, if you can be that bothered, Jobs are popping up ALL over New Zealand, If i applied to a job now, i would get it, but stupid school >_> During summer break coming up in November ill get one [​IMG]
    But Stuff like... Walmart? We dont have wal-mart here >_> But yeah, Target and if your over 18 even try a games or video store?
    Good luck [​IMG]

16. m3rox
    OP

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Heh, the reason I mentioned "white" is because the majority of the workers at this particular McDonald's went from Russian immigrants to Mexican immigrants (literally, these are immigrants). There's like one or two people working there that are actually legally able to work in the US. Well, I'm also trying to get work at a local company working an assembly line, and in the meantime pulling weeds for $10/hr (I hate doing yard work, but right now money is money).

We don't have a BK here (even though there's a BK billboard in this town), the closest one is a good 20 minute drive to another town.

Even the mentally handicapped kid who lives down the street from me managed to get a job at a dollar store.. and he talks to himself (even throws imaginary basketball games at the local basketball court, with him as the ref of course).

17. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    If they're mostly immigrants, why did you expect to get a job there? Why would you pay some kid minimum wage when you can pay an adult for less? Who cares if its illegal.

18. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    Don't worry man, I'm in the same boat as you are. I saw this thread and remembered that I had to call Papa Johns and I did and they said "Sorry, we are all full for part time." That shits booty.

19. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Wow frying up fries in oil with meat in it just adds unnecessary fat to it.

20. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    another thread that really brings out the KKK members