Gaming WoW, is it worth the money, and is it "fun"?

SavageWaffle

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So, i always knew about WoW because of Starcraft. Since Blizzard made Starcraft then later found out they made the "#1 MMORPG" game World of Warcraft. But found out its very addicting. But, if it gets to bad, il just stop paying for it. I did try the trial version, but i dont find the point of playing it. Everyones so "wowed" about the game, while its practically never ending. Also other MMORPGS, once u reach the highest level possible, collect every shit in the game, wtf you do now? I played free MMORPG's in the past,which was fine because i didn't pay for it. But WoW, so thats my question, is the monthly pay worth it?

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Are drugs worth the money? Sure you will be entertained for a while and enjoy it somewhat, but once it becomes an addiction, problems will arise. Your are better off without it.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"if it gets to bad, il just stop paying for it."

That isn't how addictions work.

The money is hardly an issue, but either way I would say not

Play a nice RPG with an ending - Mass Effect for PC or 360

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
WoW is exactly like drugs. It costs much, it's addicting, it damages your personal life and is hard to stop playing.

Outrager

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played the trial like 3 times before it clicked with me. The first 2 times I didn't get it. Then on the 3rd trial I started mining and for some reason really got into it.
I'm not so much "addicted" to it these days as there isn't really any other games that can keep my attention. It also helps if you have a few friends that play that are the same level as you to play with. But be warned, if you're in school your grades can fall if you pay more attention to the game than you do your school work.

Also, as with any MMO, I'm pretty sure you won't "collect every shit in the game". There's always something to do, but if you find it boring at the max level you can just quit and go on to other games.

Goloki

Proud TX Suporter... LOL!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Westside said:
Are drugs worth the money? Sure you will be entertained for a while and enjoy it somewhat, but once it becomes an addiction, problems will arise. Your are better off without it.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree. If you become hooked to the game to an unhealthy degree, the fault is yours, not the game's. If you, SavageWaffle, have a tendency to get addicted to videogames (or anything in general, an obssessive-compulsive personality), then you should quit gaming altogether.

WoW, in my experience, is fun for a while if you play by yourself, and really fun if you play with a group of friends. If you are really that worried about becoming addicted to it (with, IMO, is a complete exaggeration), then arrange with your friends to play only when they are on. That way, you'll greatly reduce your playing time and, at the same time, be able to enjoy the game with a nice group of friends.

As for its pricing, IMO, €25 per two months is not that much... but dunno about you economical situation. There are cheaper alternatives (GuildWars, for example), but they do not offer the same experience as you'd get with WoW.

IMO, go for it. If you have access to a trial key (which are widely available nowadays), then try it for ten days. If you see you can manage the addiction (again, pure bullcrap), then purchase the Battle Chest and a prepaid card (or pay with your credit card, whichever option you find more reliable).

SavageWaffle

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Goloki said:
Westside said:

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree. If you become hooked to the game to an unhealthy degree, the fault is yours, not the game's. If you, SavageWaffle, have a tendency to get addicted to videogames (or anything in general, an obssessive-compulsive personality), then you should quit gaming altogether.

WoW, in my experience, is fun for a while if you play by yourself, and really fun if you play with a group of friends. If you are really that worried about becoming addicted to it (with, IMO, is a complete exaggeration), then arrange with your friends to play only when they are on. That way, you'll greatly reduce your playing time and, at the same time, be able to enjoy the game with a nice group of friends.

As for its pricing, IMO, €25 per two months is not that much... but dunno about you economical situation. There are cheaper alternatives (GuildWars, for example), but they do not offer the same experience as you'd get with WoW.

IMO, go for it. If you have access to a trial key (which are widely available nowadays), then try it for ten days. If you see you can manage the addiction (again, pure bullcrap), then purchase the Battle Chest and a prepaid card (or pay with your credit card, whichever option you find more reliable).

Well thanks, but if you didn't read, i already tried the trial version.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Goloki said:
Westside said:

Uhh... by your logic, If you get addicted to drugs, it ain't the drug's fault, it is yours. It is the truth, which is why I am advising him to not to start an addiction to begin with. Playing WoW won't really benefit you at the end of the day. It ain't worth it.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No I'd rather not play it and suggest you stay away from it too (for reasons other than financial problems).
lecture.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to be "addicted" a little over a year. It was just so fun. Though, I didn't suffer academically because I "got my fill" after an hour or two. I think my total logged in time would be around 1 month.

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IMO everyone is wasting time on something, just make sure it's being wasting on something you enjoy!
I don't recommend WoW to anyone because there comes a point were you fell like the game owns you and it's your responsibility to play it.

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Westside said:
Goloki said:
Westside said:

Uhh... by your logic, If you get addicted to drugs, it ain't the drug's fault, it is yours. It is the truth, which is why I am advising him to not to start an addiction to begin with. Playing WoW won't really benefit you at the end of the day. It ain't worth it.
No, he's saying you become addicted to drugs because they contain things that make them addictive.

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HEll No. This game is difinately like a drug as you can see stories of people who suffer relationship problems. It's like saying, I'll try crack and I can stop whenever I want. This game is dangerous way b/c there is no ending to it. You'll never be compelled to stop unless someone takes it away from you or you become broke(similar to druggies right?) My advice is stay clear of games such as these. Stick with one that has an ending so you won't be hooked on it forever. My friend went with your logic of believing he had control over it...We didn't talk much b/c he kept playing Wow with his *other friends all day* Better be safe than sorry and just avoid the whole thing.

Sn4k3X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i wouldn't do it...
first i also considered playing wow, but they release a expansion every 2 years...
and if you have played it for a year, you spended too much money to stop...
you will have like paid 150 € for expansions and monthly fee
and you end up with nothing...

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
moozxy said:
Westside said:
Goloki said:
Westside said:

No, he's saying you become addicted to drugs because they contain things that make them addictive.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

You just pointed another similarity.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In fact, stay away from all MMORPGs in general. They're nothing but a waste of time, and it's not even fun to level grind all the time.

Try an online FPS or DotA, they're much more competitive and fun to play.
grog.gif

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I did the trial twice, and I have no more than six hours logged into the game total across two accounts. It still hasn't clicked with me, but I know at least two people who have failed out of college who played WoW. Did it fail them out of school? I don't know. They played a lot though. My first roommate last year actually went to a total of five classes for the two months he was with me; when he wasn't sleeping (from maybe 7am to 3-5pm), he was playing. He used Ventrilo and he was loud of course. >O

I personally haven't had a good run with MMOs. Even free ones. On the free ones, I'd get left behind since my friends would stop, and playing alone is never really fun. I guess with WoW you'd have an obligation since you're paying to play and it'd be harder to just stop since your time/money rate drops the more you don't play, but I've always had a problem with pay-to-play systems. I want to pay a flat rate for a game and that's it. I'm fine with pay-to-DLC since that's completely optional, but otherwise I'm going to pay a single rate and that's it.

I also seem to have a problem with online gaming in general since I never have really done much with it. Got the net late, upgraded from dial-up within the past year, and...yeah. Never really had good experiences with it. =P

tl;dr: Anything can be addicting. TWEWY was addicting, and it was a single-player handheld game. WoW is no different, but like I said above, people are probably "addicted" because they're actively paying a fee to play and they have to get the best ratio of time versus money spent on it or they'd be throwing money away. $15 a month is not bad as far as fees go (that's not even a dollar a day) and you can make friends easily enough since there are a lot of people on there. That's your call.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...