1. theimporter

OP theimporter Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    We had systems before and after that were easier to region bypass and after over 20 years, the PS2 is still the worst console to do this on. So I'm importing a bunch of stuff from Yahoo Auction Japan and I saw a Fat Silver PS2 with a memory card and 2 silver controllers for the equivalent of $40 USD, so I bought it. I then started to google to see which method would be easier now and days to play PS1, PS2 and DVD movies from outside of Japan.

To my surprise, in 2021, these are my options:

-Swap Magic for PS1 and PS2 and DVD boot discs for movies (can't believe these still exist)
    -A modchip with a million wires to solder
    -A recent DVD exploid that requires you to re-burn your games
    -FreeMcBoot which requires you to dump your PS2 games to an internal HDD and you need to jump through hoops to dump PS1 games

It's really ironic that the best selling console of all time still has some archaic and/or complicated methods of bypassing region locking.

2. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    For a phat ps2, the ideal method is a network adapter, a 2 tb ide hard drive that fits it, and use of free dvd boot to install free hd boot. you can network install your ps2 games to hard drive and run them with open ps2 loader. Or run them directly across the network.

Sadly, such things are hard to get nowadays.

You can get chinese clones of the network adapter that have sata hookups, but they don't have the network port, and then you will have to remove the hard drive to install games.

You can also use free dvd boot to install free mc boot.

3. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Addict

Apparently, the Mechacon has recently been dumped which may allow for it to be modified:

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/possibilities-with-mechacon-code-execution.33113/
    via:
    https://gbatemp.net/goto/post?id=9391583#post-9391583

4. Soulsilve2010

Soulsilve2010 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You can also use the 007 Agent Under Fire disk swap method, just involves popping open your ps2 and getting it to think the disk cover is still closed while it's open.Did it with my slim.

5. N7Kopper

N7Kopper Proud lover of a three-inch girlfriend

United Kingdom
    Nary two weeks later, Deckard PS2s are so region free that the DRM doesn't work any more. Gotta love it.

driverdis likes this.
  6. Devoidv3

Devoidv3 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Yeah, this has pretty much been solved now by some awesome work from people way smarter than me...

7. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

United States
    Well, this aged like milk, at least for SCPH-5000X and up console owners

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - friendly, console, import