Hacking Question Wouldnt it be violating some law to restrict access to downloading the rest of games like L.A. Noire

TimeMaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I know they upgraded all regular bans to super bans, but if someone buys a copy of L.A. Noire or Doom or something like that, and need an additonal software download to complete the game. Wouldn't it be violating some kind of law for Nintendo to block that from you? By blocking your cdn access to these game updates in turn their blocking out the ability to complete the whole game

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, we already a thread discussing this. No, its not illegal because if you read the entire box, there is a warning that if you modified the console in anyway, you may not be able to download the additional software to make it work. If anything, the fault doesn't lie on Nintendo but on the developers for providing an incomplete product. Nintendo does not have any responsibility for ensuring the game runs properly especially after you violated their Terms of Service which you agreed to.

TimeMaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ugh, we already a thread discussing this. No, its not illegal because if you read the entire box, there is a warning that if you modified the console in anyway, you may not be able to download the additional software to make it work. If anything, the fault doesn't lie on Nintendo but on the developers for providing an incomplete product. Nintendo does not have any responsibility for ensuring the game runs properly especially after you violated their Terms of Service which you agreed to.
Okay, sorry as I've seemed to annoyed you quite a bit. Was just asking a question to the community.

TimeMaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't take it personally. We all tend to get riled up when the answer is there, but those asking don't search for it. It's proper etiquette everywhere online.
Yeah I understand that, but I did search it up and couldn't really find any answers anywhere. I don't ask the forums many questions unless I absolutely can't find it

Reactions: YamiZee

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is the thread this was heavily discussed, notably only from a european point of view:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/eu-users-super-ban-gdpr-template.516250/page-25#post-8245072

Let's note a few things here:

-The thread was initially about something else but got heavily derailed by the entire discussion. While most people involved tended to remain calm, a few chosen ones decided to be very hostile to anyone not of their opinion.
-It takes mainly the european laws and specifics into consideration, the result might be very different for the americas.

Reactions: Albytrozz

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, sorry as I've seemed to annoyed you quite a bit. Was just asking a question to the community.
I'm not upset however there's no reason that anything Nintendo does is illegal unless someone takes them to court or challenges them.

This is the thread I was referring to: https://gbatemp.net/threads/eu-users-super-ban-gdpr-template.516250/

Most of it is useless so I did the work for you and found a picture of the box with the warning:
o4cXlXx.jpg

To summarize, purchasing the console only gives you the right to use it however you see fit which is why most countries make it legal to modify it. However, the online portion are services which you never purchase but agree to upon with the Terms of Service. Violation of this gives Nintendo full authority to restrict their online services however they see fit. Games such as LA Noire which require this in order to function have a warning in case your console has restricted online access or if the servers hosting the update go down. There are no legality issues here.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I understand that, but I did search it up and couldn't really find any answers anywhere. I don't ask the forums many questions unless I absolutely can't find it
Never said it justified their replies. Unfortunately, that's how it is. Multiple members (Drax included), see this a lot, and automatically assume the worst. Which it usually is. It'd take effort on both sides for this to be resolved, and that's not gonna happen. lmao

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry child but that kind of garbage ToS don't override LAW and it's straight up ILLEGAL in Europe to do something like this, Nintendo already got sued by EU in the past and lost so they're just due for another lawsuit. It's only a matter of someone actually starting one.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry child but that kind of garbage ToS don't override LAW and it's straight up ILLEGAL in Europe to do something like this, Nintendo already got sued by EU in the past and lost so they're just due for another lawsuit. It's only a matter of someone actually starting one.
While it is true that Tos does not override the law, the warning provided on the box provides all the legality for Nintendo to ban users even after purchasing L.A. Noire. It is not Nintendo's responsibility if users do not read the entire contents of the box nor the fact that they violated Nintendo's ToS in the first place by modifying their console. While the modification itself is legal, the right to access Nintendo's online servers are not granted when the console is purchases; they are only given upon accepting the ToS.

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
At least in germany, the whole EULA vs. law debate is simply not clear. There haven't been any rulings of a high court to determine wheter the license, as printed on the back of the LA Noire cover, can be legally binding. Some law experts are of the opinion that, "yes they are binding, terms were available before the purchase and agreed upon", others are of the opinion that "no, they are not binding because they can't be negotiated before purchase"

We, amateurs, simply are not able to properly assess the situation and come to a clear answer.

EDIT: That said, I wont continue further here. Simply because I do not have the proper background in law.

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While it is true that Tos does not override the law, the warning provided on the box provides all the legality for Nintendo to ban users even after purchasing L.A. Noire. It is not Nintendo's responsibility if users do not read the entire contents of the box nor the fact that they violated Nintendo's ToS in the first place by modifying their console. While the modification itself is legal, the right to access Nintendo's online servers are not granted when the console is purchases; they are only given upon accepting the ToS.
Incorrect, they are obligated by law to sell a working product and if the product requires you to download missing files from their servers they are obligated by law to provide you access to download those files, there already was a case like this in EU where the publisher lost so there even is a precedent.

Reactions: vpd

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Incorrect, they are obligated by law to sell a working product and if the product requires you to download missing files from their servers they are obligated by law to provide you access to download those files, there already was a case like this in EU where the publisher lost so there even is a precedent.
but isn't that on the shop selling you the game, not nintendo? You never really made a contract with nintendo when you bought the game, contract of purchase was with the shop. YOu could return the item to the shop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr