Hacking Would you still own a DS if the Flash carts or ROMs didn't exist?

Jack-Of-Trades

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This topic also pertains to gba so...

I got my GBA by trading 6 gamecube games for it and before i got a flash card i only realy had a few FF games for it and eventually those get boring as hell...

SO I spotted DealExtreme and gave them a shot and ordered my EZ4 cart

I was verry stoked for the first month or so... and then even that gets boring... and now i only really ever bring it out as a show off tool especially to make the friend that traded me the GBA envious and for a slight E-Penis factor
smile.gif

Being able to play any game you want makes you lose interest mainly becuse of the fact you didn't have to buy it...

I have 200 roms on my 2Gig SD card
$30 for the EZ4 Cart + $20 for the 2Gig Kingston

So technically i only payed $0.25 for each game... Personally the more money you spend on a game the more you like it since you worked hard for it
even with the best paying job you work about 2-5 hours for the game... so you want a reason to love it

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd probably buy it for the games, but only after it decreased in price. I'll admit that the availability of flash carts was a major factor in buying my DS, but mostly only due to the homebrew aspect. I love turning my DS into a miniature laptop, with all the added functions that homebrew offers - mp3 playing, jpg viewing, text viewing, web browsing, movie viewing, etc.)

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I would've brought a DS even if DS flashcarts didn't exist. Only playing about 7 games wouldn't bother me, that's how every other system we've ever owned has worked.

But you know what, I'm not sure I would've if I didn't have a GBA cart before then. My GBA sat unused on a shelf for over a year before I got one. The cart let me discover what kind of games I like, knowing that I can now buy DS games with a pretty good idea whether I'm going to like them or not. If my GBA was still gathering dust then it might've put me off buying a DS.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got a DS at least six months before I got a flashcart, and it still works well. I mean, if I didn't get the flashcart I'd probably have played a good deal fewer games and I'd be poorer, so I dunno.

The PSP however, I got that with full intent to mod and put games on, so I actually wouldn't have bought it otherwise, honestly. >_>

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Flash carts made me play the DS more often. But to answer the question...

YES

I only had 2 commercial DS games (namely Mario Kart DS and Pokemon mystery dungeon). Played a lot 3-5 months after getting the DS then slowly put it to "hibernation".

engruzii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
hell yeah!!

i bought 25 games b4 i got my R4 & i'm still buying the games but only the games that i really enjoy " i'm planning to buy DQIV & FFIV when they are released"

the reason is simple, it's because the DS is the best gaming system right now imo not because of the graphic but because DS games have the best gameplay & because the DS have the best RPG's

S197

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell no. I bought mine only after I learned about the flash carts. I was initially interested in the DS because of the Brain Age games, but there was no way I was going to pay $100+ just to play just a couple games at $20 a pop. Once I learned about R4Ds, it was a wrap.

Mars

Radioactive Propaganda Minister
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This should be a poll.

Seeing as though I purchased it prior to finding out about flashcards, I have to say yes.

halomasta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've bought like 6 games and planned on buying more games. When I discovered DScratch (as a DJ) I couldn't help myself. Portable mixing! So I got M3 DS Real from amazon for 25 pounds. When I realized how easy it was to download games it basically paid for itself+more. Despite this i'd still love my DS...still looking forward to Space Invaders Extreme!

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yes I only found out about flashcarts about 4 months ago. then I got a G'nM and an R4,
but I STILL play real cart games and I have loads of them. currently most of them are on loan, but still...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza