Hacking Would you recommend a PSP or a PSVita?

discodance77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To set the scene, I already have a Vita 2000 but it’s on 3.65. I’m fine with buying my games and whatnot but I’ve been becoming increasingly frustrated every time I discover another psp/ps1 game I can’t get onto my Vita, like MGS, Hoshigami, Star Ocean, or Crisis Core. I can buy a modded psp for $80, or a Vita on 3.30 (I’d update and install Henkaku) for $150. I’m mainly looking to DL and play PS1 and PSP games, with stuff like GBA and SNES emulators being an extra luxury. Which new system would you recommend I invest in? A modded psp, or a modded Vita?

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
PSP has probably more good games than you'll be able to play for a few years and cost less.

Vita's library has only a dozen games or so worth spending time into IMO.

Get the vita if money is a non-issue. PSP otherwise.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've got 3 modded PSPs and still play PSP/PS1 on my vita. Personally the larger screen with better response time and the right analogue stick for ps1 games (can also be mapped for psp games to varying degrees of usefulness) makes it the better, albeit more expensive, choice.

If you do end up getting a psp, I wouldnt pay more for a hacked one, installing cfw is stupidly easy on PSPs.

Last edited by Count Duckula,
Reactions: MUDD_BR

Clab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd spend a bit extra for the Vita. Even if you have no interest in it's extra features/homebrew and it's games, it's still a much nicer handheld to play on.
I've been playing a few PS1 RPGs myself, and having the analogue sticks is so much nicer. As Count said, you can also bind camera controls to the right stick too to make it feel a lot more natural.

discodance77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay so I’ll probably get the second Vita, then. I haven’t kept up with the Henkaku news so I have some questions. How big of a risk is there to use my psn profile and play online on this hacked vita? Should I just not attach a psn/ make a dummy account? For psp and psvita games. Is the vita just as good as the psp for playing psp and ps1 games? Any games, correct? Even ps1 games never released on psn ever? And are there decent emulators for snes and n64? Thanks in advance.

Barawer

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
go for the vita. if you have henkaku you can install adrenaline and play PSP on it natively,use the second analog with psp games and more. And you get to play the few vita games that are worth it, while being able to use emulators both designed for PSP and for Vita.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I would say buy both, but none of them for the prices you said

A common but well kept PSP can be had for half of that, a low version Vita motherboard is in the $30s too (although 2000 models are rare)

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Jailbroken vita is superior and can easily replace PSP. If not... I say buy PSP cause it's more affordable. By a large margin.

True Echo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Psp games on vita are stretched to 2x bigger vita resolution and they dont look good... very pixelated or blurred depending on filters. It best to have both consoles:)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I’ll probably get the second Vita, then. I haven’t kept up with the Henkaku news so I have some questions. How big of a risk is there to use my psn profile and play online on this hacked vita? Should I just not attach a psn/ make a dummy account? For psp and psvita games. Is the vita just as good as the psp for playing psp and ps1 games? Any games, correct? Even ps1 games never released on psn ever? And are there decent emulators for snes and n64? Thanks in advance.
I would not recommend playing online at all, but if you absolutely have to do so, use a dummy account. Nobody has been banned yet from Henkaku and PSN usage, but there's a first time for everything and I wouldn't risk a main, active account.

The Vita had a separate sandbox called ePSP mode, that essentially is exactly the same as a hacked PSP, and we have a CFW for that ePSP mode called Adrenaline that lets you play any PSP/PS1 game/homebrew as if it were on an actual PSP. There are a couple PS1 games that sometimes don't like some of the advanced Filtering Adrenaline offers, but otherwise everything would work exactly as a PSP would. Because the games are being upscaled to ~2x their normal resolution, games can look a bit blurry and messy, but Adrenaline offers a lot of graphical filters that makes games look pretty good.

There are SNES emulators, but no N64 (as of yet). You could use Daedalus64 in PSP mode, but it'll still perform as it would on a PSP (which isn't great).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over