Hacking Would you pay for the next major Gateway update?

Would You pay for the next major Gateway update?

• Yes

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 39 81.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quicksilver88

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok now this is not meant to be inflammatory. In my mind Gateway has come a long way since launch and delivered on most of what anyone reasonable could have hoped for. Omega 2.1 truly gives Gateway the upper hand over Nintendo (for the moment) allowing 4.5 users to almost have it all and now have a better product by using Gateway.

Unless/Until a kernel exploit for 6.x+ arrives I have to believe the pool of 4.5 users is shrinking fast. You can still find some 4.5 2012 XL red/black blue/black models at retail in the USA but they are getting less common since xmas. At some point Gateway's market is going to run out, unless we get past 4.5.

I for one feel as though that for less than $80 that Gateway has given me a good ride. Let's say 3.0 launcher comes out and gives us xyz substantial new features but you have to use a code to unlock the launcher and they want to charge you $5-$10. Would you be outraged? Would you consider supporting this type of model if it allowed a team to keep working on supporting a product after the market for it has dried up? Do you feel now that Gateway has delivered Omega 2.x you have gotten a good value?

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
The point of updates is to keep sales momentum going in order to make more money. If they decided to charge for the next set of features, the competition would just copy those features and make a killing offering them for free.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be tough for them to pull off. If they released code it would go wild to people who didn't pay for it.

And if they only allowed certain features it would probably have to be on a different card which would cut down their argument about being update-able.

My guess is they will come out with a new card once they figure out the 6.x exploit.

Quicksilver88

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But see that is part of the argument is that the 'sales momentum' will fall off because their market is finite (being 4.5).

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
tbh i dont really see it happening....the last things that people are really wanting are
3dsware

and i can't really think of anything else tbh....i don't think either of them could be charged for, online would have the possibility of being blocked if they ever did achieve it.......so charging for something that *could* be blocked would be a bit dodgy to begin with
and i dont think they will allow installable 3dsware content unless they where really confident it couldn't be hacked to just install games to the SD without owning a gateway card

then the last options are cards to support higher firmwares....anyone on a higher firmware likely doesn't own a gateway anyway, so it it was a new revision of card they could still support the older cards but release another revision for higher firmwares...iirc the blue card only supports up to 6.1, so if a 6.3 exploit was made that still used the DS exploit anyone on 6.2 or 6.3 would still need a replacement blue card, so they would kind of need to release a revision unless the blue card can be updated to 6.3

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should have added to this poll the option to select "It depends on the features".

I would pay a nominal fee of five or ten bucks, if I could have 100% online support, true real-time save with savestates, and cheat support.

I'd pay five bucks for online, alone. Anything beyond that would probably not be worth it to me.

Reactions: Nightwish

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok now this is not meant to be inflammatory. In my mind Gateway has come a long way since launch and delivered on most of what anyone reasonable could have hoped for. Omega 2.1 truly gives Gateway the upper hand over Nintendo (for the moment) allowing 4.5 users to almost have it all and now have a better product by using Gateway.

Unless/Until a kernel exploit for 6.x+ arrives I have to believe the pool of 4.5 users is shrinking fast. You can still find some 4.5 2012 XL red/black blue/black models at retail in the USA but they are getting less common since xmas. At some point Gateway's market is going to run out, unless we get past 4.5.

I for one feel as though that for less than $80 that Gateway has given me a good ride. Let's say 3.0 launcher comes out and gives us xyz substantial new features but you have to use a code to unlock the launcher and they want to charge you $5-$10. Would you be outraged? Would you consider supporting this type of model if it allowed a team to keep working on supporting a product after the market for it has dried up? Do you feel now that Gateway has delivered Omega 2.x you have gotten a good value?

Is this for real, man don't put threads up like this and definitely not a poll to boot, it will only give them ideas!!! what are you doing, trying to ruin us all! :( I've paid for the card and a fair whack at that, now why would I want to go and pay Gateway anymore funds for future updates!!! very silly thread, stupid infact! Think hard m8 what you are doing before you go and make threads like this one. Infact please mods take this thread down before staff at Gateway have a good gander at it and think, "yeah there more silly then we thought, what a great idea, we never thought of that idea at all..., go go Gateway"!

Who voted 3 yes's!!!!. I cannot believe it, you should be ashamed of yourselves :teach:

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
After the bricking fiasco with 2.0B2? No! I don' t want to pay for a card which's team has proven that they accept to brick 3DS to avoid clones - without testing the features deep enough.
The Gateway is expensive enough and they promised updates (even to support firmwares over 4.5 etc.).

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
If an update was only obtainable with a cost, then i would imagine most would pay it if they really wanted the particular update.

Not a very good PR move though.

Reactions: IronClouds

opal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I would pay them 5-10$ for update which would let me play 100% eshop and retail games.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a moot point, anyway. Remember the Gateway OMEGA Beta launch? The one that got leaked within four hours of being sent to the original beta testers?

If Gateway DID release a paid update, how long do you imagine it would take until it got leaked? Anything longer than four hours would be optimistic to the point of ridiculousness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [cricket sounds]