Gaming Would you like to see more Zelda remakes on the Switch?

D

Deleted User

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, please. And Skyward Sword.

Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD are still playable on a modern HDMI-console though (the Wii U), but Skyward Sword looks dated. (As there is just the Wii version and no HD)

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are difficult to play on a modern TV today. Sure, you could buy a Gamecube, or a Wii (hacked if you want the downloadable OoT and MM as the shop is closed), but most people won't go through the trouble so many might miss out on these old classics.

I'm all for remakes, and I'm prepared to pay for it. Why not? If I haven't played the game, and it is updated to modern standards, if it's still a good game it might be worth the money. On Steam I've bought several remakes and updates, such as Castle of Illusion, Duck Tales, Giana Sisters, and whatever. Ok, at a lower price, but still, I can't understand the hostility towards remakes/remasters.
You think Skyward Sword looks dated? What about Twilight Princess HD? It's its style, but it kinda looks dated too, maybe even more.

To me, it's more about the controls than the graphics that matters.

PoiRan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm quite old, so I'm very used to "ancient" graphics (and I really hated the 3D style when it appeared in the 90s) but to appeal to new gamers these old games need a refresh. With huge 4K TV sets, the Wii with the analogue outputs looks really dated. We have a Wii, and my kids love it - it still has some great games, but on anything above 32" it looks quite jagged these days.

I don't think a 4K version is really needed, even a 1280x720 HD would be a great improvement.

It's a pity the best way to play many games is on the Dolphin emulator. I guess the PCs and emulators will always have an edge though. (some amazing 4K versions on youtube)

BTW, I think they should keep the "look" of the graphics, and try to keep gameplay reasonably the same, the games would lose some of the charm if they were too altered. The 3DS versions got some criticism (Ocarina of time, Majora's Mask), the graphics had changed too much.

Last edited by PoiRan,

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm against remakes because I just think it's a developers way of making a quick buck. They took a GBC game that was 29.99 and doubled the price. Old games deserve that special place in our heart. But I know some people that are willing to buy them
They also did a lot of work. This isn't some remaster where all they did was put an hd texture pack in *cough cough dark souls remastered cough cough*.
They developed it from the ground up. Added new features, new graphics, new engine, and so on.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Unique is certainly a word you can use to describe the art style, but you'd just be sugarcoating a turd. It looks bad. Get rid of the inappropriate shininess and the stupid playmobil playset faces and it would look fine.
But apart from that, the game is fun, the music is for the most part good (they ruined the intro/title screen music), and overall, they did a good job with the remake, they just made some bad decisions when it comes to art style.

I guess the logical next step is OoA/OoS remakes. Two games which I've barely played, so remakes would be a good excuse to finally play through them. I'm not a huge fan of the 2D Zelda games though, I've always been a bigger fan of the 3D ones. And on that note, I would really like to see what Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask would look like in HD with modern graphics. But they already got remakes for 3DS, and AFAIK Nintendo are still producing 2DS XLs, so that probably won't happen any time soon.

ALTTP and Minish Cap already look fine the way they are, but I guess I wouldn't be opposed to remakes.

Most of all, I want a remake/remaster of Skyward Sword. The art style would look great on the Switch and they could reuse the BotW engine as it already looks sort of similar. And the controls are well suited for the JoyCons. One thing that always bothered me was how inaccurate the controls were, even with Motion Plus. Swinging the sword around often did not behave like you expected it to leading to missing enemies' weak points a lot, the motion controls suffered from drifting, and somehow managed to sometimes feel too insensitive and at other times too sensitive. It seemed a bit ahead of its time. Advances have been made in motion control technology since then, so the controls should work better with JoyCons.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
This isn't some remaster where all they did was put an hd texture pack in *cough cough dark souls remastered cough cough*.
Dark Souls remaster was more of a preservation effort than anything - it pushed the game to newer consoles (including a portable), fixed glaring netcode issues and replaced the complete mess of PC version, on top of lowering the price. In other words, it made the game playable further down the line, and that's what remasters are for =)

Last edited by Pipistrele,
D

Deleted User

I want a remake/remaster of Skyward Sword. The art style would look great on the Switch
It would, but sooner or later Nintendo will probably start testing out the PC market too and then we'll have Nintendo games officially released on PC. Zelda on PC at its full graphical potential would be a work of art, even more than on consoles.

Nintendo has already published Nintendo games on Android, iOS and Nvidia Shield. It's likely just a matter of time.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It would, but sooner or later Nintendo will probably start testing out the PC market too and then we'll have Nintendo games officially released on PC. Zelda on PC at its full graphical potential would be a work of art, even more than on consoles.
I'll keep it simple This ain't gonna happen lol

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark Souls remaster was more of a preservation effort than anything - it pushed the game to newer consoles (including a portable), fixed glaring netcode issues and replaced the complete mess of PC version, on top of lowering the price. In other words, it made the game playable further down the line, and that's what remasters are for =)
You're not wrong, but in my view I already had mods that do that stuff before the remaster was out. Stuff for multiplayer, hd textures, dsfix, etc..

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Nintendo has already published Nintendo games on Android, iOS and Nvidia Shield. It's likely just a matter of time.
The mobile games are casual trash with microtransactions, you don't want that stuff on PC do you?
They're intentionally not releasing full Nintendo quality games and keeping that exclusive to consoles.

Nvidia couldn't convince them to release the GC games outside of China. Nintendo are still very much set in their ways.

D

Deleted User

The mobile games are casual trash with microtransactions, you don't want that stuff on PC do you?
They're intentionally not releasing full Nintendo quality games and keeping that exclusive to consoles.

Nvidia couldn't convince them to release the GC games outside of China. Nintendo are still very much set in their ways.
We always thought we'd never see Nintendo games on non-Nintendo devices, and here we are where N has gone out of their way to prove us wrong.

We also thought they wouldn't charge us to play online.. now they do. And so on.

It's a 50/50 chance they'll do, I'd not want to bet but if I did I'd bet both ways to be safe. lol

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We always thought we'd never see Nintendo games on non-Nintendo devices, and here we are where N has gone out of their way to prove us wrong.

We also thought they wouldn't charge us to play online.. now they do. And so on.

It's a 50/50 chance they'll do, I'd not want to bet but if I did I'd bet both ways to be safe. lol
The things you mention are minor - 50 50 lol thers zero chance of Nintendo bringing ther big games to pc - do you really think Nintendo want to be bombarded with emails like saying why the fk ain't my graphic card working with Mario lol if anything nintendo wil go with Sony but tht wil only happen if the president of Nintendo is dating the president of Sony lol

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

They always do what you least expect. You're expecting them to release Nintendo games on PC, which means they won't :P

But honestly, I don't see it happening at all. The kind of stuff they've been releasing on mobile wouldn't fly in the PC gaming community, they would have to make proper games to rival the stuff they're releasing on their consoles and they'd be competing with themselves at that point. Why buy a Nintendo console if you can get the same experience on PC? They'd be signing their own death sentence. That's something they're only going to do if they're planning to exit the console market anyway. Which, who knows, they may eventually decide to do that. Hardware sales isn't where the money's at anyway, but they'd lose out on sales of indie games and such on the eShop, and they'd lose out on sales of online services, and there's a lot of money there.

aclearersky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You think Skyward Sword looks dated? What about Twilight Princess HD? It's its style, but it kinda looks dated too, maybe even more.

To me, it's more about the controls than the graphics that matters.

Ive been playing through skyward sword on my wii u and the graphics look terrible. Its extremely grainy and washed out. That is the game id most like to see a remake of with motion controls removed and allow the right stick to control your sword

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)