Would you help me like (endure...) the Dragon Quest series?

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My first Dragon Warrior was n.7, on the PSX. I've heard so much about the series, and I've always loves Jrpgs. And for the first 10-15 I was really enjoying myself. Except... it was also frustrating. I kept living with the horror that a random encounter (so many of them...) would wipe out my team and force me to give up half of my gold. I had to grind countless battles just to buy a sword, and when I finally got blocked because I couldn't go back to a town nor be able to defeat my enemies, I just gave up. It was very sad.
I tried again when n.8 came out, but after 2 hours I've felt the exact same way as with n.7, and I knew it was better to give up before wasting more time. I've finally made a last attempt with n.9, but the lack of real characters turned me down very fast.

So, I'm asking you: did you have the same problem with the series? And if so, have you found a way to keep playing?

Reactions: Satangel

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
So basically, you suck at JRPG's. Not trying to be rude, but rather, blunt. It sounds like the JRPG genre is not your cup of tea, and Dragon Quest/Warrior is just too intense for you being pretty much the epitome of JRPG in the modern day. All I can really recommend in any of the games is leveling up in an area until you can fight random encounters without having to worry about dying each time. Learn how to effectively use your skills, and in games that offer skill based increases on level up like DQ8, focus in on certain things (such as the Hero in DQ8 is best if swords are worked on early in conjunction with courage and a small balance into boomerangs for easy groups).

All of the games will give you a bit of trouble if you aren't ready to grind it out at certain points. I've discovered that, as a whole, the DW/DQ series is a challenging one that does not cater to people who prefer moving at a brisk pace from start to finish.

As for the games:
DQ8 is tons of fun.
DQ9 is great if you can get past only your character being a fully developed character.
DW7 I really need to give another go eventually.
DQ 4/5/6 were all remade for the DS and are pretty fun. They all progress in different ways, so I'd suggest looking up the basic differences between them and trying out the one that piques your interest the most, especially since these seem like the few with a modern touch that fall outside of the realm of DQ games you've already tried.

Reactions: BORTZ

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As for unforgiving, nope.
I have played more unforgiving jrpgs.
But for some reason I always found DQs kind of generic and stopped playing out of boredom.

PS: I only tried to play DQ5, DQ8 and DQ9.

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So basically, you suck at JRPG's.

I guess I came here looking for a slap in the face :) I realise titles like the ones in the Final Fantasy series (starting from 6) are more forgiving, and maybe those are my real cup of tea. But I do have experience in the genre (only God knows how much I loved other gems like Xenogears, the "Chronos", etc), and I found Dragon Quest 7 and 8 almost "bully".

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So basically, you suck at JRPG's. Not trying to be rude, but rather, blunt. It sounds like the JRPG genre is not your cup of tea, and Dragon Quest/Warrior is just too intense for you being pretty much the epitome of JRPG in the modern day. All I can really recommend in any of the games is leveling up in an area until you can fight random encounters without having to worry about dying each time. Learn how to effectively use your skills, and in games that offer skill based increases on level up like DQ8, focus in on certain things (such as the Hero in DQ8 is best if swords are worked on early in conjunction with courage and a small balance into boomerangs for easy groups).

All of the games will give you a bit of trouble if you aren't ready to grind it out at certain points. I've discovered that, as a whole, the DW/DQ series is a challenging one that does not cater to people who prefer moving at a brisk pace from start to finish.

As for the games:
DQ8 is tons of fun.
DQ9 is great if you can get past only your character being a fully developed character.
DW7 I really need to give another go eventually.
DQ 4/5/6 were all remade for the DS and are pretty fun. They all progress in different ways, so I'd suggest looking up the basic differences between them and trying out the one that piques your interest the most, especially since these seem like the few with a modern touch that fall outside of the realm of DQ games you've already tried.

Grinding =/= challenging

If grinding is something that needs to be done, it's not a challenging game it's an unfair one.
Can't say i've ever played a DQ game (the art style never appealed to me tbh), but games that force you to grind are just bad.
Not saying DQ is though, since I have no clue if grinding is actually optional or not. I know a lot of people say games like Devil Survivor are a grind, but it's perfectly possible to beat them without a single bit of grinding.

Reactions: lampdemon

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DQ VIII is one of the best games out there IMHO, it's the number one reason I bought a 360 controller so I could emulate the shit out of it on PCSX2. Can not recommend it enough, 10/10.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Bortz :bortz:

I've played through Dragon Warrior 1 and 2 on the GBC and then again recently on my tablet with the re-releases, and then I played Dragon Quest IX on the DS ages ago and that's about it I'm afraid. As much as I enjoyed playing the games, I've never bothered to continue playing any other games in the series.

If you want to lessen some of the grinding horse shit with the early games, I suggest using a "fast forward" speed multiplier on a emulator along with an auto-a/auto-b button. I did this when I played DW1+2 on GBC a while ago, and that cut hooooooours of grinding down into like...maybe a half hour or an hour total. You could probably do that for most of the handheld games and early console releases.

Reactions: BORTZ

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I do understand sometimes you need to spend some time in a zone because the next one is kicking your arses very very much, or because the boss never gives you a chance. But if this mechanism reaches a point where the experience resembles more of a chore than a game (spending literally hours to collect experience and gold), I stop having fun. Then what's the point?

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All games with random encounters are a cancer, and should not be played or enjoyed by anyone. In time they will be remembered as anachronistic crap that appeals to nobody, so it's better to just get over them now and move on, and play games that will actually stand the test of time and which can survive any degree of scrutiny whatsoever, so that you may at least hope to share something in common with future generations of gamers who will uncover the games you liked which DON'T suck.

There, hope that helped.

potato3334

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've only played dragon quest vii for the 3ds, and I didn't grind even one bit in the game. I played through it all with just fighting most of the random encounters, and even then the game is ridiculously barebones and simple. I never felt like I was using any strategy other than using my most powerful attacks and healing when needed, so I'm guessing the psx version was tougher. Either way, I would definitely not put categorize dragon quest as a "challenging" JRPG :P .

Oh, I also played a couple chapters of dragon quest iv for the ds, and I DID have to grind a little bit for the 1st chapter, but after that I just blew through the game as normal.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games like those in the Dragon Quest/Warrior series are, more often than not, only grindy if you rush through the story. JRPGs often have big worlds to explore, and you level naturally when you actually explore areas that aren't required to advance through the story, without the use of grinding. I never played 7 (or I did but I was just so young I forgot it) but I played 8 and 9, and I didn't have to grind "countless battles" to advance, at least not 2 hours into the game. 30+? Sure, since that's when optional bosses pop up out of the woodwork.

If you don't like the series, there's no reason to force yourself to play it. Just move on. Plenty of good JRPGs out there. I'd mention Shin Megami Tensei, but seeing your reaction to DQ/W, I doubt you'd enjoy it.

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I never felt like I was using any strategy other than using my most powerful attacks and healing when needed, so I'm guessing the psx version was tougher. Either way, I would definitely not put categorize dragon quest as a "challenging" JRPG :P .

I've researched the 3ds version, but I haven't found mentions regarding changes in the difficulty. Anyway, I don't speak japanese :(

Games like those in the Dragon Quest/Warrior series are, more often than not, only grindy if you rush through the story. JRPGs often have big worlds to explore, and you level naturally when you actually explore areas that aren't required to advance through the story, without the use of grinding.
I'm all about savouring JRPGs, I'd never rush them, and never did. But with DQ7 I've simply lost my patience, and I was very sorry about it, because I've enjoyed the game very much up until that point.
I'd mention Shin Megami Tensei, but seeing your reaction to DQ/W, I doubt you'd enjoy it.
Actually I've loved "Nocturne", it was great! I should go back to it if I ever find the time, I've never completed the Hell's maze...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.