Would you buy an HD GamePad (v2.0) if Nintendo released it?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by WiiCube_2013, Jan 2, 2015.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I would given that they'd accept the old GamePad to slash half price then I'd be pretty happy with it because some games on the GamePad look really washed out ugly.

BAHIM Z 360 likes this.

2. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    I'd love to see it happen but I'd bet half the reason the gamepad works so well is because it's a low bandwidth transmission from the wii u.

yuyuyup and ChrisRX like this.
  3. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    No. I'd buy one that had the same resolution as the original but battery life of the Pro controller, though. Or half the battery life of the Pro.

4. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I forgot that too, it'd also need to have 10-20hrs because 2-3hrs is a disgrace.

Edit: If it had the same as the Wii U Pro Controller then it'd perhaps become rather too expensive, eh?

5. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    an HD gamepad is not feasible. It would greatly increase the load on the GPU now having to render TWO HD pictures, plus it would require much bigger bandwidth to send HD video to the gamepad.

6. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Eh? Actually, the Wii U downscales from 1080p before transmitting the picture to the Wii U GamePad. Bandwidth isn't a problem since the Wii U uses a proprietary 5GHz signal that's more than adequate to support HD video transmission. On top of this, Nintendo promised us that Wii U will be capable of supporting two Wii U GamePads at once.

The only downside is that games will run at 30fps if two GamePads are connected at once, so I believe if an HD GamePad is ever to come, the same limitation would apply to it as well. Technically, there's nothing to stop an HD GamePad from happening. It's all there ready to be used, Nintendo just chose not to go for an HD GamePad. I'd be happy with 720p even, but the current resolution that's about 480p just is awful to look at. Play a GamePad-exclusive game like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and you'll know what I mean.

7. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Except when there's jaggies everywhere and you can barely tell the foreground from the background. Have you played Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker yet? I give a crap about graphics when the graphics are sub-optimal to the experience.

8. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Even when the graphics quality is detrimental to your experience (and not done by purpose, as in art style)?

9. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    The visuals and colours looked really washed out and that's something it just doesn't do well for the experience of playing the game.

Nintendo better find a way for Kirby Rainbow Curse to look decent on the GamePad.

10. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    How is it retarded if you have to keep squinting to play a game? (I have 20/20 vision.)

11. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    It's often problematic with games that have a lot of bloomy visuals, e.g. Wind Waker HD or Captain Toad.

12. aofelix

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    maybe its problematic for you, not other people shinkodachichcichcici.

Kelton2 likes this.
  13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The gamepad should've been HD out of the box, the very idea of generating 1080p signal just to downscale it for the pad is ridiculous, but now it's crying over spilled milk - the SKU is out and there's not much that can be done about it. People won't spend $100 and up just to have a better gamepad.

And yes, quality matters. This isn't a problem of graphics whoring - the customers already bought a Wii U, the weakest out of the three. This is a problem of crappy scaling that's hard on the eyes.

14. aofelix

Dec 21, 2013
    I'm sure the gamepad 1080p out of the box would have increased costs even more and made the console way too expensive.

Kelton2 likes this.
  15. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    There would be no point. Outside of Nintendo fans, no one qould even care. :/

16. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    No, it's objectively bad. You can defend the Wii U GamePad and I'll say it's decent, but you can't discount its graphical inferiority because you find it good enough. If we'd go by that, Wii U should've stayed as a standard definition console because that's good enough and avid defenders of the Wii cried loudly that HD doesn't make a game.

vayanui8 and Foxi4 like this.
  17. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    TV is the one thing that doesn't require high quality graphics. Most households today still watch standard definition TV. And that's what you'd defend to have HD for if the Wii U GamePad was a TV?

We just have to agree to disagree. Just because something has a small screen doesn't mean it has to be of bad quality. Now I obviously understand there are costs, but I just as much question why the Wii U GamePad was designed in the first place if we have to settle for something less in the end. PS Vita has a small screen, but a much higher quality display with high PPI.

18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's the cheapest current gen for a reason - the tech is accident. If an average cheapo Chinese phone can have a 1080p capacitive screen, so could the Wii U and it would not cost substantially more per unit. Stop excusing Nintendo's inadequacy, they f*cked up. If they couldn't afford to make a good gamepad, maybe they shouldn't have made one at all.

19. aofelix

Dec 21, 2013
    shinkodachi only cares about graphics and resolution

Kelton2 likes this.
  20. wangtang32000

wangtang32000 Newcomer

Dec 31, 2009
    United States
    In a Cave in the middle of nowhere.
    Only if it had a battery life longer than 3 hours... heck even if it wasnt hd, as long as theres a longer battery life, i'd buy it.

Kelton2 likes this.