Gaming Would you buy a UMD new for $5?

VmprHntrD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know a portion of you here just steal everything, but some of you buy a few things, and others buy most/all...there's a mix, which is why I'm posting this.

If you are in the USA or can get into the area to be where you can buy stuff Gamestop locations appear for the last month to have been featuring around 20 movies that they're selling for $4.99 brand new. I know UMDs were a slap in the face expensive with minimal extras(for those who care -- I don't) for $30 which was bs against $20 DVDs. These days Sony are bringing them back out now and doing a $10-15 price though I have seen a few studios doing stupidly $20 on them. They at least are an affordable option now, but it really is nice to see a pile out there you can get for just $5.

I personally at that rate grabbed Godzilla Final Wars, Big Trouble in Little China, There's Something About Mary, and Heavy Metal. I've seen Crouching Tiger, Flying Daggers, Batman the Movie, Layer Cake, The Replacement Killers, Speed, Kingdom of Heaven, Predator, and others I'm forgetting now.

Reactions: 1 person

SirSweeps

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What I have to say is a little off topic but Personally, I only buy new ... buying used (to me) is the same as stealing ...
and yeah 5 dollars to have the real deal, case and all ... of course.

By the way I went out and got Big trouble in little china after reading this, its up there with army of darkness..

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't buy a umd movie at any price. I never even bothered watching the Family Guy one that came for free with my PSP. I just don't want to watch movies on something that small, even for low or no cost.

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, I just use handbrake on my Mac to encode the DVD rip to mp4 for PSP if I want to watch a movie on the go and put it in the video folder for my memory stick. No need to involve any more landfill waste in the transaction.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Even if I didn't know the wonders of pirating, I would not buy a UMD at $5. I only watch/read things like movies and books once and never touch them again. Even if it was a full fledged DVD I would not buy it for $5. I would just go to the library and hope they have it. If not, too bad.

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
tbgtbg said:
I wouldn't buy a umd movie at any price. I never even bothered watching the Family Guy one that came for free with my PSP. I just don't want to watch movies on something that small, even for low or no cost.
Heh, tell that to the people who watch movies on their DS
rolleyes.gif

And if that was available here for me, I would buy a movie or two.

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I actually don't mind watching stuff on the PSP at all

the screen is remarkably decent for such a small device

I watch a ton of TV on mine

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
I would buy the UMD, take off the plastic casing, then fashion some sort of crude shuriken out of the disc.

Then I'd probably throw it at somebody in the street.

VmprHntrD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's like a 50/50 mix, but part of the NO crowd is using the reason/excuse of the 3x4 screen size. I can see that, but not more than literal size as the image quality is fantastic. But, have you considered getting a used component cable for $5?

I have one of those and the movies play full screen and have DVD clarity unless they're like 2h20m or so longer as they need to compress them just a little to fit the size of the medium (Pirates of the Caribbean has this off and on a bit in a frantic motion moment.) Would you still hate it for $5 if the thing could be run on your big old LCD tv?

Also I don't get how this is kinda off topic, this is a PSP topic on UMDs which the PSP runs.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Vampire Hunter D said:
So it's like a 50/50 mix, but part of the NO crowd is using the reason/excuse of the 3x4 screen size. I can see that, but not more than literal size as the image quality is fantastic. But, have you considered getting a used component cable for $5?

I have one of those and the movies play full screen and have DVD clarity unless they're like 2h20m or so longer as they need to compress them just a little to fit the size of the medium (Pirates of the Caribbean has this off and on a bit in a frantic motion moment.) Would you still hate it for $5 if the thing could be run on your big old LCD tv?

Also I don't get how this is kinda off topic, this is a PSP topic on UMDs which the PSP runs.

kinda defeats the object of having a PORTABLE PLAYSTATION with a PORTABLE UMD you think?

but ... for the sake of the thread if its a movie I really liked and watched a few times or was a CLASSIC or a BOX set I would buy it for the collectability factor!

same with DVDS if its worth it or its a LTD edition or a good BOX SET I would buy it ... Pre owned usually as it saves a fortune!

QUOTE(SirSweeps @ Dec 27 2008, 05:34 AM) What I have to say is a little off topic but Personally, I only buy new ... buying used (to me) is the same as stealing ...

how the heck do you figure that!? it WAS PAID FOR by the ORIGINAL PURCHASER for the ORIGINAL STORE PRICE so the CREATORS etc still got their cut!

a pirate copy NO ONE GETS ANYTHING AT ALL!

At least with pre owned it gives people on low income or kids with pocket money can buy stuff that's usually to costly for them!

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
kobykaan said:
Vampire Hunter D said:

kinda defeats the object of having a PORTABLE PLAYSTATION with a PORTABLE UMD you think?

but ... for the sake of the thread if its a movie I really liked and watched a few times or was a CLASSIC or a BOX set I would buy it for the collectability factor!

same with DVDS if its worth it or its a LTD edition or a good BOX SET I would buy it ... Pre owned usually as it saves a fortune!

QUOTE(SirSweeps @ Dec 27 2008, 05:34 AM) What I have to say is a little off topic but Personally, I only buy new ... buying used (to me) is the same as stealing ...

how the heck do you figure that!? it WAS PAID FOR by the ORIGINAL PURCHASER for the ORIGINAL STORE PRICE so the CREATORS etc still got their cut!

a pirate copy NO ONE GETS ANYTHING AT ALL!

At least with pre owned it gives people on low income or kids with pocket money can buy stuff that's usually to costly for them!
Look at it this way. You buy a game new. you play through it, and instead of letting it die in you attic, you decide to sell it to game stop. They sell it to another person who was gong to buy the game new (and give the developers money) but instead bought it used, therefor giving money to the game store, but not the developers. That is just like pirating in the sense that you give no money to the big N or other companies involved when you buy it, just to the game store. Get it?

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
midna25 said:
Look at it this way. You buy a game new. you play through it, and instead of letting it die in you attic, you decide to sell it to game stop. They sell it to another person who was gong to buy the game new (and give the developers money) but instead bought it used, therefor giving money to the game store, but not the developers. That is just like pirating in the sense that you give no money to the big N or other companies involved when you buy it, just to the game store. Get it?

ok .... but game stores have overheads and bills to pay too ....

If you want to pay full whack on a game then that's your choice I accept that .....but for those that cannot Pre Owned/second hand is a way to get that newish high priced game for half even a quarter price
smile.gif

.....I still think comparing it to piracy is wrong .. let me put it this way how many games/movie/music company's go after second hand/pre owned type stores for selling their games cheap/pre ownened? NONE! .....

To them its obviously not an issue ...as pre owned /second hand is not illegal

how many big company's go after PIRATE GROUPS/TORRENT SITES/P2P NETWORKS/ILLEGAL GAMING HARDWARE(CARDS/CHIPS/EXPLOITS ETC) ...answer ... craploads!

have you ever given/lent a game/dvd to a mate to borrow for a couple of days or borrowed yourself ... how do you feel then ? that he/you did not buy it and the company lost out!? not much different scenario to pre owned?

I'm not out to start a flame war/argument here but pointing out that some people have an option to buy new and some don't ... same reason some people RENT DVD'S and not BUY them if you rent it and its a CRAP film then your not stuck with it ...same as a GAME if you bought a £40 game to find out you finish it in a day or its a pile of crap then you wasted £40 and your stuck with it... because you don't want to trade it in or sell it on because the company's loose out!?

can you see where I'm comming from on this one!?
smile.gif

wait ...

edit :-

QUOTE Modded PSX from thrift shop
So I bought a PSX at a thrift shop for $5 today. After I picked it out, I opened the drive and there was a homemade burned game disk in it, and a sticker giving the phone number of a professional modding business. This leads me to believe that the thing can play burned disks.

I, having no experience with PSX hacking would like to know how I would go about running burned games on it. I am on a Mac, by the way.

hows the $5 PSX midna25

I would call that pretty HYPOCRITICAL of you right there!
nyanya.gif

SONY HAVE LOST OUT! have they not!? and moreso with the RUNNING BURNED GAMES ON IT!

oh and what about yer MODDED PSP ....?? what about that??

edit 2: noted that YOU TOO SirSweeps You condemn buying used games and compare its same as stealing but have a MODDED PSP! running what legit games?? noted... you run emulators oh ..wait most ROMS/games have upto a 75 year licence agreement on them to prevent them being ripped off! so emulators although legal roms are not!

I rest my case!

ok thread back on topic now!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse