Would you buy a UMD new for $5?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by TanookiSuit, Dec 27, 2008.

Dec 27, 2008
  1. TanookiSuit
    OP

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    I know a portion of you here just steal everything, but some of you buy a few things, and others buy most/all...there's a mix, which is why I'm posting this.

If you are in the USA or can get into the area to be where you can buy stuff Gamestop locations appear for the last month to have been featuring around 20 movies that they're selling for $4.99 brand new. I know UMDs were a slap in the face expensive with minimal extras(for those who care -- I don't) for $30 which was bs against $20 DVDs. These days Sony are bringing them back out now and doing a $10-15 price though I have seen a few studios doing stupidly $20 on them. They at least are an affordable option now, but it really is nice to see a pile out there you can get for just $5.

I personally at that rate grabbed Godzilla Final Wars, Big Trouble in Little China, There's Something About Mary, and Heavy Metal. I've seen Crouching Tiger, Flying Daggers, Batman the Movie, Layer Cake, The Replacement Killers, Speed, Kingdom of Heaven, Predator, and others I'm forgetting now.

1 person likes this.

2. SirSweeps

Newcomer SirSweeps Advanced Member

United States
    What I have to say is a little off topic but Personally, I only buy new ... buying used (to me) is the same as stealing ...
    and yeah 5 dollars to have the real deal, case and all ... of course.

By the way I went out and got Big trouble in little china after reading this, its up there with army of darkness..

3. damole

Member damole GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Five bucks? Why not.

4. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    I wouldn't buy a umd movie at any price. I never even bothered watching the Family Guy one that came for free with my PSP. I just don't want to watch movies on something that small, even for low or no cost.

5. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    I buy stuff that I know I will use regularly use... even at $5 a UMD, I would probably never go for it because I only watch movies once and then never see them again.

6. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    No. If I get a movie, I don't get it on a 2x3 inch screen. (I don't usually pay for it either.)

7. layzieyez

Member layzieyez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Meh, I just use handbrake on my Mac to encode the DVD rip to mp4 for PSP if I want to watch a movie on the go and put it in the video folder for my memory stick. No need to involve any more landfill waste in the transaction.

8. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Even if I didn't know the wonders of pirating, I would not buy a UMD at $5. I only watch/read things like movies and books once and never touch them again. Even if it was a full fledged DVD I would not buy it for $5. I would just go to the library and hope they have it. If not, too bad.

9. Extreme Coder

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    Heh, tell that to the people who watch movies on their DS [​IMG]

And if that was available here for me, I would buy a movie or two.

10. esoterica

Member esoterica GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would rather buy one of those movies as DVDs. I don't think I can watch a movie on the PSP screen. What a waste of its potential [​IMG]

11. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I actually don't mind watching stuff on the PSP at all

the screen is remarkably decent for such a small device

I watch a ton of TV on mine

12. Knarf

Member Knarf GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah man, I wanted resident evil but they were out.

13. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I would buy the UMD, take off the plastic casing, then fashion some sort of crude shuriken out of the disc.

Then I'd probably throw it at somebody in the street.

14. TanookiSuit
    OP

United States
    So it's like a 50/50 mix, but part of the NO crowd is using the reason/excuse of the 3x4 screen size. I can see that, but not more than literal size as the image quality is fantastic. But, have you considered getting a used component cable for $5?

I have one of those and the movies play full screen and have DVD clarity unless they're like 2h20m or so longer as they need to compress them just a little to fit the size of the medium (Pirates of the Caribbean has this off and on a bit in a frantic motion moment.) Would you still hate it for $5 if the thing could be run on your big old LCD tv?

Also I don't get how this is kinda off topic, this is a PSP topic on UMDs which the PSP runs.

15. SirSweeps

Newcomer SirSweeps Advanced Member

United States
    I meant what I had to say was off topic ....
    I changed it for clarity

16. TanookiSuit
    OP

United States
    Ahh I get ya. Last night I watched Big Trouble in Little China and it was fantastic. I forgot how good that cheese was.

17. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    how the heck do you figure that!? it WAS PAID FOR by the ORIGINAL PURCHASER for the ORIGINAL STORE PRICE so the CREATORS etc still got their cut!

a pirate copy NO ONE GETS ANYTHING AT ALL!

At least with pre owned it gives people on low income or kids with pocket money can buy stuff that's usually to costly for them!

18. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Look at it this way. You buy a game new. you play through it, and instead of letting it die in you attic, you decide to sell it to game stop. They sell it to another person who was gong to buy the game new (and give the developers money) but instead bought it used, therefor giving money to the game store, but not the developers. That is just like pirating in the sense that you give no money to the big N or other companies involved when you buy it, just to the game store. Get it?

19. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    hows the $5 PSX midna25

I would call that pretty HYPOCRITICAL of you right there! [​IMG]

SONY HAVE LOST OUT! have they not!? and moreso with the RUNNING BURNED GAMES ON IT!

oh and what about yer MODDED PSP ....?? what about that??

edit 2: noted that YOU TOO SirSweeps You condemn buying used games and compare its same as stealing but have a MODDED PSP! running what legit games?? noted... you run emulators oh ..wait most ROMS/games have upto a 75 year licence agreement on them to prevent them being ripped off! so emulators although legal roms are not!

I rest my case!

ok thread back on topic now!

20. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    dumbest arguement ever