DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
For the people above the age of 25, would you be proud of your teenage self regarding the choices you made in life when it comes to games, music and etc?

And for the teenage users we have, in say 15 years orso, would you be proud or think otherwise?

I'm curious, I meself must say am proud of meself.
Not all music and games I liked as a teen do I like now but there's a good amount that I still do like.
I never really liked rap and still don't do, tried liking it for a short while when I was 12 orso due to some of me elementary school friends liking it.
Gamewise I must admit that I started to care less and less about Nintendo.
The older Nintendo games still have some sentimental value to me but otherwise I wouldn't care to much about it.

D

Deleted User

I wouldn't be too ashamed of myself; many of the games and genres I liked back when I was still in primary and secondary school I'm still into these days. Aside from most of the licensed games I used to play when I was really little, I can't think of any games that I would be ashamed of liking at the time. Musical tastes are all over the place, but, then again, I don't really think I've outgrown some genres or bands, but rather, expanded to newer genres and bands.

Still not the biggest fan of rap. I like it when it's used in mashups (probably due to me being a SiIvaGunner fan a while back), but, on it's own, I'm rather indifferent to it. To me, it's like part of a song, but needs to be combined with other parts to make it whole.

I'm still technically a teenager myself, though, so I have no idea what I'll make of myself in 5-10 years, though. I get the feeling that if my future self were to be ashamed of past me, it would be due to the decisions I made as opposed to my interests at the time.

As for Nintendo: when I was younger, I used to be exclusively into Nintendo games, as I was under the impression that everything else on the market is either sports games or bloody gorefests. As you get older, though, you slowly realize that limiting yourself to just Nintendo games can get boring after a while. After all, despite the variety the company has in their repertoire, they're all ultimately coming from the same source.

Even talking from a purely "retro" standpoint, there are a lot of games worth checking out from the 80s and 90s that aren't from Nintendo (SNK, SEGA, C64, DOS, ZX Spectrum, etc, etc), and by glossing over them, you're doing yourself a disservice.

All in all, I'd like to think that Nintendo loosens its grasp on teen/pre-teen fanboys as they get older.

Reactions: Deleted User

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I fall just under the age mentioned in the OP, but I'd probably say yeah I'm proud for the most part.

Regarding gaming, I don't think I regret playing anything in that regard, perhaps beyond that I didn't involve myself more in gaming with some old friends of mine. My teenage years is where I really branched out my gaming tastes and sort of "honed in" what I like and don't like now. I played pretty much all the classics from slightly before my time, as well as got into the newer games and genres, so not much lost there.

Regarding music, pretty much the above except I don't regret much of anything. Like my gaming tastes, my music tastes branched out massively as well as a teenager. If anything, I'm not so proud of my music tastes now :lol: I went from following every musician I like nearly daily, to basically falling off the face of the earth in music tastes. Now I just subscribe to one channel on Youtube (Majestic Casual, which is nice), and then add whatever songs I like that they upload to my like list, instead of actively find new music to listen to.

JellyPerson

https://discord.gg/BMVma8j
Banned
Trophies
Website
https.htp
XP
Country
Korea, North
Sure. Mainly I like 80s pop and metal, 90s grunge and alt rock, and 2000s alt-rock.
As for video games I think I've played too much Nintendo, but their games are still really enjoyable. They consistently make great games. Right now I'm just playing PS3 games like Heavy Rain and Mirror's Edge. In the fashion sense, I really only wear t-shirts and jeans. My hair is a normal hairstyle (parted to the left).
I think I'd only be ashamed about a few stupid mistakes I made. (Holy shit if you put that number in parentheses you could have gotten a 100 instead of a 99 you retard)

Reactions: Tizm

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rage against the machine.
Still good.
Black Sabbath.
Still good.
Limp Bizkit
If I ignore the singer then musically they are pretty good, and come to think of it I always liked the musical parts better.
Bloodhound Gang. Still works for me.
Jimi Hendrix. Still a legend.
Rap wise. All about the wordplay and there was a fair bit of it if you went looking.

Game wise.
Some stuff has aged poorly but nothing terribly regrettable, give or take what some think of Sonic 3d. I might have spent a bit too much time with fantasy star online but it inoculated me against the current weaponised form for online game.

I guess I liked Settlers of Catan where today I know too much maths for it to be all that fun. No regrets there though.

Book wise.
I still read trashy fantasy and sci fi to this day.

Films/TV
Jackass. Still fun as you like, as is Dirty Sanchez and the stuff that predated it.

TV wise I had a bit of thing for short computer animated gameshows buried on BBC 2 but I am a nerd so eh.
I guess we rented some stinkers but who didn't?

Clothes.
Tshirt with something silly on it, shirts, long sleeved top, comfortable slightly baggy trousers, hoodies, skate shoes... other than styles of pockets and relevance of some silly aspects of tshirts ( http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2028604 but says social outcast) then I have worn that for as the years since, added steel toed boots when working on job sites became a thing I did more but that is about it.

Guess teenage me did OK on that front.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People on here know my story I talk about it all the time lol. But yes I am really proud of the teenage me or the old me or whatever you want to call it. They made the toughest decision I have ever had to make. Without that decision I would not be me.

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: Seriel

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
23 and renting, bad credit and in debt. Some of my friends already bachelors, some posting updates on building foundation to their land they bought and I'm just here. Poor schmuck. I think I'd take lead to the brain than air to the lungs about now.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't really think someone's personal taste in music or games is worth being proud of, it's just a matter of taste and everyone's opinion is equally valid. Until it gets personal, then :gun:
But I'm certainly not ashamed of it. I'm a huge Ninty fan, always have been and likely always will be even when I grow old and can no longer be bothered to play games. And I scoff at people who think Nintendo just makes "kiddy games". While they are family friendly that doesn't mean people of all ages can't enjoy them.

I tried liking rap as a teenager because I thought some of the lyrics were cool. But it just wasn't for me, and I can't stand listening to the stuff now. But I can enjoy most types of music, I just tend to listen to electronic of various types. That was true back when I was a teenager as well, just that I hadn't discovered what particular genres of electronic I liked the most yet.

I can't say I'd come back to most of the music I listened to as a teenager, since I have refined my music taste since then and found certain subgenres and artists I enjoy that I stick to for the most part.
But I do come back to games I grew up playing every now and then, and still like them just as much as I did back then, so I feel like teenage me made the right choice in the games he played.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you had asked me this when I was 25, I would have said "No," because that was when I realized that my current life was horrible. That was when I realized how abusive my relationship was and the mistake I made in allowing it to go for that long. If you asked me when I was 18, I would have said "yes" because I was so deep in the closet that I turned the closet in my personal bedroom.
Now I can't really say either. I am proud of how far I've made it since those days, but that doesn't mean I would be still proud until I really moved past my old life

D

Deleted User

Right now, I am less proud of myself than I should be. I need to clean up my room and organize some things. Looking at the bigger picture though, I am proud of the knowledge I have gained and the beliefs I hold currently. I am proud of the people I associate with.

In 15 years, I don't know what the world I live in will be like. I don't know what I will be like. But I hope to be proud of myself in 15 years. I hope to have a stable job, have a family. I want to be better than others and that drives me to do better and be better.

I like to think this. "If you had to start life over fresh, would you be sad?" I feel as though I would be quite sad. I don't want to start over. I've been doing pretty well for myself. Right now, in my current position, I have a lot to live for, and a lot to still accomplish. I can only hope and do things for my self that would make me even more proud of myself.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm 37. In terms of study/carreer choices it might've been a different matter, but in terms of games and music: that's an easy YES!

Granted: not all of the music was great in the nineties (techno always struck me as "hey, guys: I've found a computer program that let's me generate a beat. Rather than using it to compose anything on it, I just call it a day"), but I didn't listened to it either.
In terms of games...what was there NOT to like or be proud of? I played most if not all genres then (anything I could get my hands on, really :P ) and that hasn't changed much.

If I had any regret, it would be that I neglected board games a bit or didn't push local couch-play more often. Hanging around to play games with friends is always a second priority right now (while I often play with my girlfriend, I feel she holds things back more than needed by insisting that the house is clean, having other stuff to do or flat out refusing to play most games but the ones she knows best :unsure: ). But that's hardly anything I can blame on my past. :)

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
If we're talking about life itself, it's a big nope. I'm currently 23, slightly below OP's age mention, but I can certainly say that there are many choices, moves, and mistakes I wish I could have done differently.
On that matter, it's never too late to change the course of history, but it's a lot more difficult when you're already living on your own and pay bills.

As for music and games, certainly I am. Though I built a decent collection over time, I seem to have lost interest in actually playing anything, and focusing more and more on music.
I'm not a difficult person about music either. If it's a good song, no matter the genre, I'll be likely to enjoy it. I'm very fond of progressive and experimental styles, and instrumental/minimalist techno pieces are the ones I enjoy the most playing in the background when I'm busy.
I really enjoy rock from the 70/80's as well, as they say, classics!
I also am a big demoscene and chiptunes enthusiast, and even try to make my own stuff too, as of recently.

I turned the closet in my personal bedroom.
Who can blame you, closets are small and cozy spaces to feel safe.

Attacker3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Generally, yes. I didn't grow up with many friends, and I don't have very many friends now. This is a good thing, as it means I wasn't influenced by other people in my tastes, so they developed naturally when being exposed to different things. My tastes are my own, and sure, I'll become interested in different things as I get older, but I'll always know why I liked the things that I did.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Teenage years includes the first few years of college, when I was mostly into good rock like AC/DC, Guns & Roses, etc. after starting to get into those the last year or two of high school, so yeah, still like that sorta stuff, so glad I wasn't into "the rap" or hippity hop, though some individual stuff I can find okay, mostly mid 90's or earlier. Wasn't too into stuff like Nirvana, which was huge then, but I can enjoy a song or two these days, never found it earth shattering or anything, just, hey, that's okay.

Games, I never limited myself to a particular platform, I mean I had a SMS alongside my NES, and a TG16 (with CD) betwixt my Genesis (model 1, also with CD model 1) and Supernintendo. Genres, well RPG's, especially traditional jrpgs have long been something I'm into, even going back to Dragon Warrior and Phantasy Star and stuff like Ultima (around the time of U5) on computers. I also really got into some wrestling games, as I'm a huge mark for the "sport" but not much else for sports, save oddball stuff, like the Mutant League games or NBA Jam. Played a lot of fighting games in the heyday, but they kinda got old when the friend I mainly played those with moved away after college, kinda left that whole fighting game thing behind after SF Alpha 2 on Saturn, didn't even play SF 3 until well after SF 4, and then only because I got a cheap used PS2 copy of some collection with SF2 and 3. So not really proud of anything, but neither anything too embarrassing there. Of course plenty of the good shit from Nintendo, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, but never got into the stuff like Star Fox or Mario [Party/Golf/Tennis/etc]. A little too old for it when Pokeymans actually came out (in America). if it had come out 5-10 years earlier it probably would have consumed my life.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Coming back to this thread once again for an update and the answer is "yes, I would be proud of me." In the past couple of months I've made amazing progress compared to the past couple of years. I am only a few months away from starting HTR, I am about to start college, and I am actively working on my dreams. This isn't something I could say be how I would see myself now and I would be proud of me for finally getting to this point.

Reactions: AmandaRose

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I still like a lot of stuff that I used to like, but I wouldn't say I was proud of myself for liking them.

Some things don't stand the test of time, I'm not ashamed that I liked them either.

I don't see how liking something or not makes you a better person. I'm not proud of all the choices I've made.

Last edited by smf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: