Would Xbox One beat PS4 sales if sold for $300?

Discussion in 'Xbox One - Games & Content' started by WiiCube_2013, Feb 3, 2014.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I guess Xbox One would've sold better than PlayStation 4 for $300 had Microsoft not decided to bundle Kinect with it, and instead made it an entirely optional device. Just like Sony did with PS Eye (optional purchase).

Hopefully in 2015/16 they'll release Xbox One Slim which doesn't come with Kinect because the original design is just awful and too damn big (probably comparable to my Original Xbox & VCR Player).

Anyway, if Microsoft released Conker: Live & Reloaded 2 for Xbox One (a controller game not Kinect!) that would be awesome.

2. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    The Kinect costs Microsoft $75 or so dollars per unit, so even if they were to cut that out, they'd take a pretty severe loss by selling at $300. $400 would be the more likely figure.

To answer the question, though... well, I don't have an answer. It's very much possible that would help, but the Xbox One still sold like hotcakes at $500; people seem to want it no matter what the price is anyway.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I am not sure, first what Gahars said but I should also mention there is something to be said for MS ensuring that every user has a kinect device.

Now I am certainly not sold on the virtues of the Kinect but there have been a few examples in games history of why you do not sell optional extras (required for some games) at a price point above the N64 expansion pack* or maybe something like the megadrive 6 button controller.

*that the N64 expansion pack and megadrive 6 button controller also represented a real and worthwhile upgrade to games did not hurt matters either, motion controls have added decidedly less to gaming beyond making sure the Wii had a built in audience for badly handling rail shooters.

Right now it seems all the current consoles, give or take mainline android, are selling on some "future potential", though Nintendo's promise of future potential is wearing very thin indeed on all fronts, and future potential is the first step on the path to failed to meet promise/potential and I really hate it when that happens.

4. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Not so sure.
    It would be interesting to see what happens though (they aren't going to cut it down to $300 though.)

5. XiTaU

XiTaU GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2008
    United States
    i probably would have bought one at launch for $300 too bad i would most likely just use it as a $300 media player though until they had anything worth while to play.

6. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    it would depend on how many people decided on which one to purchase based on the price difference. Chances are anybody who was willing to purchase a new console right at release before a strong library was developed would be dedicated to a specific brand anyway. I personally don't think it would've changed the sales that much

7. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Why stop at $300, if it sold for $200 would it have beat the 3DS? I think so. Maybe they should take out the kinect and instead put a coupon in the box for free unicorn rides and Scarlet Johansen blowjobs.

Seriously, no way could they get the price $100 below Sony, even without Krapnect. And if MS had decided to eat a such a huge loss on every system sold and tried it, Sony would have just cut their price too.

8. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    M$ cutting down the price for the xbox one?.. lol thats a good one, were going to see that same 500$ price still the for a while. I don't trust the xbox one kinect... a gaming device that can detect your heartbeat? Uhhh? No thank you lol, I'll buy the ps4.

Pro for Ps4:
    Upgradable harddrive

Con for 360:
    Non Removable harddrive

9. hollowtip

hollowtip Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2008
    United States

Technically, you can upgrade the Xbox One's hard drive, the method is just not supported by MS.

10. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    Well that's very unprofessional, I know for a fact that, the new xbox one digital games are gonna be a lot of Gb. Microsoft at launch, should had made different harddrive size with different consoles.

11. LegendAssassinF

LegendAssassinF GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey

Yes it would sell better that is the same reason why the 360 sold better than the PS3 at launch because PS3 was 400/500 and 360 was 300/400

12. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Wait, isn't the Xbox One already beating the PS4 in terms of sales?

13. TackyPie

TackyPie GBAtemp Fan

Jul 4, 2012
    United States
    I think that was just the month of December I think.

14. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Well the PS4 just had a huge spike in sales over the X1 but that does have a lot to do with price. Its nice that MS is sticking up for the Kinect which they believe will be great one day but it does hurt to have a $500 price tag. If the X1 was $400 or cheaper than it would have the same sale numbers as the PS4 if not better.

15. Bobbybangin

Bobbybangin GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    The Xbox One will beat the PS4 it in the US, especially after the upcoming price drop to $400 and with Sony not expecting a price drop for quite some time. Sony is king in Europe. It'll be hard to beat the PS4 there and Japan no matter what the price is. The only gen that Sony didn't win in Europe was the Wii(33.75 million) outselling the PS3(32.98 million) by less than a million consoles. That's the closest any market came to outselling the Wii.

16. Trevor Belmont

Trevor Belmont GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    timbuk2, kamtucky
    For $300 I would buy one to gut it and put a PS4 in and impress my friends with a next gen console... Oh...sorry... 3-)

17. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Meanwhile the Wii U continues to whoop both arses of xbone and ps4. :tpi:

18. Trevor Belmont

Trevor Belmont GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    timbuk2, kamtucky
    Yesss. Wii-U FTW!! Arigato! 3-)

19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Sarcasm or misinformation? The PS4 overtook the Wii U quite some time ago. As for the OP, naturally it would sell better if it was cheaper.

20. Foxi4
    This message by Foxi4 has been removed from public view by Foxi4, Mar 14, 2014, Reason: Double-post.
    Mar 14, 2014
  21. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    PS4 has already outsold both.