Would using component cables make any difference ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by patientx, Mar 24, 2007.

1. patientx
    OP

patientx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2006
    Hi there, got my wii yesterday dont have room so I plugged the cables to the s-video input of my digital tv card on my pc.Of course because of it using low res and because I am on a pc it doesnt look good especially from near -playing that close isnt fun of course- .Now I dont have a HDTV and I dont know about this 480p deal , but I'd like know if there is any way to use these so called "Wii component cables" with my tv card from the s-video input of course ? Maybe some kinda converter like the one came with the wii but uses 5 inputs ((3 video and 2 audio)) instead of 3 ((1 video and 2 audio)) ? I'm not disappointed with the graphics by any means but if its possible I wont say no to a bit more quality [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. kai445

kai445 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2006
    United States
    If you only have S-Video in as your best input, then thats the only thing you're gonna get from the Wii...

3. cabby3

cabby3 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2006
    Going from Composite to Component on my LCD made a WORLD of a difference.

But it depends if you can hook it up Component...If you can I would definately do it. Check out places like Playasia or DX for cheap component cables. (About 10$ US)

4. patientx
    OP

patientx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2006
    Wow I just made a difference , it seems the programs I was using to "watch" wii's display is at 320x240 default.When I changed to 640x480 in 480i mode it looked great than I tried changing the tv type to 50hz 576i it worked ! Now I have the wii input as 768x576 and it sure looks a lot better than 320x240 ... [​IMG] Especially when I use mediaplayer classic in capture mode , use VMR9 as rendering output , at my 19 inch CRT it looks fantastic.

768 x 576 (576i)

-I took this with save as .jpg in mpc-

[​IMG]

Of course this is in window when I do fullscreen it still looks good though.

Hope this helps for other people thinking about using wii with the pc.

Cabby3 : I dont have a LCD I am using a CRT , anyway with this thing I mentioned above I dont think I would buy a LCD just for the wii for the moment.

5. wabo

wabo GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2003
    Canada
    Canada
  6. patientx
    OP

patientx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2006
    It seems these s-video cables are for japanese wii's only.

7. TanookiSuit

TanookiSuit GBAtemp Addict

Nov 11, 2004
    United States
    Louisville, KY
    Kind of a side thing, but I went for the cables on a 480i Wega I have that uses the 5 plug component cable and it did make a noticable improvement. Smaller details got sharper and didn't cause a glittery effect or blur about them. A great eye test was just using the AP News channel as i could go down like 2 sizes on my screen (over composite packin cables) and read w/out it being painful.

8. cabby3

cabby3 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2006
    Just merely stating...

If anyone likes, I can take comparison shots

Component vs Composite

Let me know

9. TanookiSuit

TanookiSuit GBAtemp Addict

Nov 11, 2004
    United States
    Louisville, KY
    GO for it, I would have appreciated it before taking the gamble I did. I just flashed back to my flat screen TV (non-HD) days working at Midway on the Defender project as we tested the sucker on that screen using both RCA and S-Video, and S-Video was nicely sharper, and the component is a bit of a notable bump over that. I'm speaking though for me on a 29" Sony Wega with a digital comb but NOT 480p (just I.) Have to wonder how nicer over where I am now though it would get with I.

10. kai445

kai445 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2006
    United States
    Mad Catz S-Video cables are very good quality, if you're looking to buy S-Video cables.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice