Would this work to delete the update nag from emunand?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by bache, Oct 27, 2015.

1. bache
    OP

bache GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2009
    I was thinking, would it be possible to take a Gateway emunand, use EmuNAND tool to extract the NAND.bin, use the Gateway launcher to inject the NAND.bin to the console's sysnand, and then use the recovery button combo to delete the nag, before dumping the NAND again, to inject back into emunand?

I have a N3DS with 9.2.0 sysnand, and 9.5.0 emunand.

2. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    Why would you want to inject a 9.5 sysnand? Do you not understand what capabilities you will lose going to 9.5?

VerseHell and Xenon Hacks like this.
  3. bache
    OP

Sep 28, 2009
    Holy shit, I went full retard there. Nice catch :P

4. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    Well, it will be worse than a simple sysnand update, he won't be able to use his console at all.

Op, follow this, it worked for me :
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/poc-removing-update-nag-on-emunand.399460/

Then use the tubehax dns on your emunand.

Last edited by VerseHell, Oct 27, 2015
    Hiatus likes this.
  5. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    congratulation!!!!
    you successfully change your N3DS sysnand!

6. bache
    OP

Sep 28, 2009
    I had a look at this, however I couldn't rebuild my NAND.bin file at the end. I managed to successfully decrypt the nands, change the .db file, however when I went to rebuild it, the size of the NAND dump had changed, and EmuNAND Tool refused to inject it. Did you use a tutorial to rebuild it, and if so, which one?

If I had a hardmod though, I'd be able to restore my 9.2 backup ;)

7. VerseHell

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    You need to use 3dsfat16tool to inject the decrypted emunand back into your emunand.bin, then you can use emunand tool.

8. bache
    OP

Sep 28, 2009
    Ah okay, the tutorial I was following had me doing it manually with a hex editor. I'll give that a go tomorrow after work. Thanks :).

9. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    always make emunand backup.
    so recovery the latest one will fix most mistakes u made.......

10. VerseHell

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    This pack can help you to decrypt, modify (with winimage) then rebuild your emunand :
    http://www.jheberg.net/captcha/emunand-toolkit/

halop likes this.
  11. tony_2018

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    Ok ideas are fine, but think shit through before posting. Like "why hasn't someone thought about it", "Why can't 9.5 be used" because these questions have been answered and there have been no progress on finding a way to load GW on that version yet.

12. bache
    OP

Sep 28, 2009
    Excuse me? Obviously my idea wasn't to be content with having my sysnand at 9.5, and hoping for a Gateway exploit. In a moment of stupidity, I forgot that without a hardmod, I wouldn't be getting my sysnand back to 9.2. I've seen stupider posts made by yourself, so why don't you take your know-it-all personality elsewhere? Asshole.

13. Datalogger

Datalogger Seeking to explain the IOSU for everyone to enjoy

Dec 21, 2009
    United States
    Maui
    I had the same exact problem with it not wanting to re-inject due to the size being wrong, then I realized that I missed the part about copying/pasting the extracted file I edited with WinImage back into a copy of the NAND I extracted from the emuNAND partition.

For the part about copy/paste, I followed the instructions from Step #21 to Step #28 from:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-moving-eshop-content-from-emunand-to-sysnand.379879/

It does work...

Last edited by Datalogger, Oct 28, 2015
  14. bache
    OP

Sep 28, 2009
    Thank you to you both for your constructive information :). The pack that VerseHall posted worked perfectly without needing to hex edit anything.
    Nag is gone, and TubeHax is set up to keep me protected!

15. tony_2018

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    At least I don't post stupid ideas because I actually follow up on certain topics on what is supported and what isn't. I even understand the why it hasn't been support and don't go repeating the same question 3 months later just to see if there is an update even though there never was.