Hacking Would there be a way to redirect all sound to the Gamepad?

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds simple enough, I'm curious if there's a way to redirect all sound, so that it all outputs through the gamepad (headphone jack and possibly speakers).

Since some games don't all output the same sound through both the TV and the gamepad (Splatoon), it would be nice if there was a way to get it all through, essentially making it possible to play a game with just your headphones.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It might be possible to add some kind of hook in the loader to copy output buffers to the other interface or something, but I'm not sure if it would cause issues, and would have to look. I can take a glance later and maybe ifnd out. I wouldn't be able to write the patch itself most likely though.

@dimok or @Maschell may know already or just know more in general, but not sure how active either has been lately.

Reactions: 7Robins

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting, I figured it would be almost impossible. Very cool though.
It really depends on a couple things. I'm not sure if if the IOS controls all the sound, and unless there is a proper sound library (like we can use gx2 for example) to use, it would be required most likely. I know there are snd_core and sndcor2 RPLs, but I never looked at them yet.

I'm interested in this as well though because of Star Fox. I don't even look at the Wii U Gamepad but I like using it.

Last edited by EclipseSin,

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just figured this out, but some games are set to automatically output all sound through the gamepads audio jack if there's something plugged in. Try it out in Splatoon, plugging in an audio device outputs the entire games sound.

Perhaps that can be a hint for enabling that feature for other games?

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I actually would like the contrary :P, and redirect all the gamepad sounds to TV speakers, should be useful for Starfox Zero, the problem with this game is that not only pilot voices goes through gamepad but other sound effects like lasers, explosions, airwing sounds. Now if you have a hi-fi sound setup you can notice how the low quality gamepad sound clash with the overal sound. The gamepad tiny speakers make a perfect job to reproduce less stressful sound like voices, but other sounds that require more bass like explosions or lasers...just no... I don't know why Nintendo decided duplicate those sound effects, they should only leave pilot voices sounds on the gamepad, or at least give us sound sliders on options, though they hate user option in most of their games.

Last edited by OriginalHamster,
Reactions: brienj

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually would like the contrary :P, and redirect all the gamepad sounds to TV speakers, should be useful for Starfox Zero, the problem with this game is that not only pilot voices goes through gamepad but other sound effects like lasers, explosions, airwing sounds. Now if you have a hi-fi sound setup you can notice how the low quality gamepad sound clash with the overal sound. The gamepad tiny speakers make a perfect job to reproduce less stressful sound like voices, but other sounds that require more bass like explosions or lasers...just no... I don't know why Nintendo decided duplicate those sound effects, they should only leave pilot voices sounds on the gamepad, or at least give us sound sliders on options, though they hate user option in most of their games.
If one is possible, the reverse should be as well. Though I imagine for that game, ear buds plus the speakers would be ideal as the voices would be more immersive with the environment being outside.

Maschell

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had no success, sorry. Couldn't even log some activity in the AXSetVoiceDeviceMix and AXSetMultiVoiceDeviceMix function. Someone with more experience with the WiiU sound library maybe know about how the output device is set.

Reactions: OriginalHamster

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: