Would Steam ban me for using Pirated games/"add to library"?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by sudoku173, Aug 13, 2014.

1. sudoku173
    OP

sudoku173 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2014
    United States
    Gensokyo
    a

Last edited by sudoku173, Aug 5, 2017

2. machomuu

machomuu Drops by occasionally

Sep 4, 2009
    United States
    The Courtroom
    Nope. As far as Steam is concerned, they're just names. Feel free to add what you want, pirated or otherwise.

3. sudoku173
    OP

sudoku173 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2014
    United States
    Gensokyo
    Alright, added all my games to my steam library.

4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    it is fine, but i do think the cracks will have some problems if you use steam ripped games (i remember i had a conflint)

if steam really wanted to ban you playing pirated games, they could make the client inspect every exe you launch (just like an AV) and ban you when a cracked game was found.

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

How well does adding emulator to it work? Would that cause issues?

6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    well, i have this in my memory, in the past i downloaded a game, i added into steam client, the game was left 4 dead or half life, i dont remember which one. but i do remember it had steam dlls in the game directory, i added into steam client and the game couldn't be launched and showed some kind of error, i guessed the dlls were in conflict, but this didn't caused any other secondary effect (i am still not banned in any way)

7. Pagio94

Pagio94 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    Italy
    Genova
    You'll have problem if you redeem a pirated code. It's a lot risky

8. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    people have made frontends and lauchers for emulators on Steam that work fine

9. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Good to know that :P

10. machomuu

Sep 4, 2009
    United States
    The Courtroom
    It'll generally work fine, though you have to add the game specifically. But I've added Dolphin, PPSSPP, and PCSX2 games (so, when I click a specific game from the list and will launch the emulator and the game automatically) and they've worked perfectly, even with Steam overlay.

the_randomizer likes this.
  11. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Only thing that happens is that the game gets removed from your account.

12. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    If it's Steamworks game that's pirated I simply wouldn't take the risk. What I have heard friend tried it it does tell that you are in non-steam game, but overlay doesn't work. That's the price you have to pay for not buying the legit version.
    Haven't pirated in years thanks to job and super cheap games so I can't enlighten that issue any further.

As for anything other I don't think so. Steam client shouldn't send any other information about the program forward other than the name of shortcut. You can even add calc.exe as non-steam game and name it to something like "Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare: Closed Beta"

I personally haven't used non-steam shortcuts in awhile because of Steams bug always forgetting added games. Not sure have they fixed it yet but haven't bothered to find out.

13. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    How?

14. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    I imagine with batch files and command line arguments for the specific emulators

15. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    I imagine with batch files and command line arguments for the specific emulators

16. machomuu

Sep 4, 2009
    United States
    The Courtroom
    You have to direct it to the emulator and then, in separate quotes, the path to the game itself.

17. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    "C:\Users\[User here]\Location\.exe" "C:\Users\[User here]\Location\.rom"
    I think

18. lismati

lismati Speedrunner in practice

Feb 24, 2010
    Poland
    Yes.
    There was a case of people getting banned on Steam by playing a pirated version of HL2, I think.
    But I haven't heard anything about bans from adding pirated games to the library, and I doubt they exist.

19. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    Valve won't disable an Steam account just because. Adding shortcuts to your games is not worthy of a disabled account. Just think that you're adding a simple shortcut. You could've bought that game in GOG, physical format or any other platform. The client won't scan the files to see if there's anything weird. It just won't happen.

Also, Valve only bans you if you cheat on a VAC protected game (Source games and some CoD games). So, no, you won't get banned in a million years for doing this.

To cover more terrain, if you buy a CDKey outside of steam (you know what I mean) they won't disable the account EVER or remove the game. They will remove the game SOMETIMES if it was activated via VPN.

20. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    actually you just receive a VAC ban, so you will not be able to play online on any server using VAC, you can still play your steam games, buy games, trade, ect...
    getting a steam ban would require more serious actions such as using stolen credit cards to purchase games, directly editing steam client files (such as trying to add steam games to your account you did not purchase), phishing, and using hacked clients