Would piracy be justified in a situation where ingame content is unavailable anymore?

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Both are copyright violations in every sense of the word since you are spreading the content without permission from the copyright holder. If you give the original away, you must also hand over or destroy all legitimate copies you have made unless you have an extra license.

Reactions: Foxi4

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Let's remember that piracy is a illegal act even if you don't charge money for distributing the data in most countries (be they ISO, ROM images, burned CD/DVD/BluRay, copied K7, copied VHS, copy of books, etc).
If I rip data from a game and give that data to a friend to play and he copies the data to a friend and the process goes on and on to about say 10-15 other people, is that considered piracy
That's piracy from the 1st time that you gave the data to your friend, and you can be prosecuted for distributing the pirated data, you lose any rights to claim fair use, even in countries that permit you to use ways to crack DRM to obtain the backup copy. Also everyone on the chain that gave copies of this data can be prosecuted for distribution.

If I rip data from my game and give that same disc game to my friend and he rips data and he gives it to his friend and the process goes on and on to about 10-15, is that still considered piracy

That's piracy from the moment you gave away the licensing rights along with the original medium. Like Fat D said, you must destroy all your backed up data (even if they were created under fair use rights) because you doesn't have the license anymore. In theory some media doesn't allow you to transfer the rights of use of the licensed data (to legally combat second hand sales), but since it's impractical and you aren't selling a pirated copy few people actually got prosecuted doing this.

And I think that anarchy should [edit]NOT[/edit] automatically justify piracy, anarchy is about destroying the concept of authority (someone that controls the order) it's a political philosophy, not a economical system (you can try to have a anarchic civilization that is still capitalist, you can abolish the capitalism - an with it the concept of copyrights - without destroying the authority).
Not saying that's wrong to advocate anarchy and destroying the concept of copyrights at same time, but they are separated things, separated theories that can work together.
But one thing that doesn't allow anarchy to work in actual world is that people won't let go the concept of private property, specially because without laws and their enforcers, people will start to rob at every given chance, and they will try to protect their property with any option that they get, including murdering people.
One thing that I like to say to newcomers to anarchy is "think well before asking for anarchy, because if you get it, everybody will".

Reactions: porkiewpyne

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's remember that piracy is a illegal act even if you don't charge money for distributing the data in most countries (be they ISO, ROM images, burned CD/DVD/BluRay, copied K7, copied VHS, copy of books, etc).

That's piracy from the 1st time that you gave the data to your friend, and you can be prosecuted for distributing the pirated data, you lose any rights to claim fair use, even in countries that permit you to use ways to crack DRM to obtain the backup copy. Also everyone on the chain that gave copies of this data can be prosecuted for distribution.

That's piracy from the moment you gave away the licensing rights along with the original medium. Like Fat D said, you must destroy all your backed up data (even if they were created under fair use rights) because you doesn't have the license anymore. In theory some media doesn't allow you to transfer the rights of use of the licensed data (to legally combat second hand sales), but since it's impractical and you aren't selling a pirated copy few people actually got prosecuted doing this.

Ok thanks for the info, I knew there was a reason why it was still piracy I just couldn't think of it.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you want to do it, go ahead and do it. Enough with the cry-for-attention posting. Just accept that it's wrong. Oddly enough, whether someone on an internet forum (originally devoted to aiding piracy - Ironic much?) thinks you are justified or not doesn't make one tiny scrap of difference to its legal definition. So fuck 'em.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
tl;dr Piracy is never legally justified. It's morally justified if you already own a given game, but didn't (or couldn't due to DRM or the medium) make a backup and your original copy is broken beyond repair. Remember, you never purchase "just a cartridge" or "just a disc", you purchase a license allowing you to use one copy of a given piece of software - make backups of said copy whenever you can (and if the law allows you to, which it should).

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Copyright laws are a joke, that's the only justification that should be needed (not that I personally ever needed justification). But yes, extra justified in cases like this or with store exclusive preorder bonuses and bullshit like that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Copyright laws are a joke, that's the only justification that should be needed (not that I personally ever needed justification). But yes, extra justified in cases like this or with store exclusive preorder bonuses and bullshit like that.
Why? The preorder bonuses are supposed to entice you to buy the game in a store that offers them, they're genuine business practices. What makes you think that you're entitled to acquire content that you didn't actually purchase?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.