Would piracy be justified in a situation where ingame content is unavailable anymore?

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Due to not having the game at a specific time, its a PC game and the devs/company releases this specific content during a period of time of their choosing. Because you werent around for that time you missed out, not even making it available even if you paid. Your able to play the game without this content however you would be missing a detailed part of the story that is related to the main storyline.

So in this scenario, would piracy be justified to get that missed content?

To mods: not asking for links, not asking how to get links, I'm just asking a question. Thank you.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
justified : No.
End of the debate.

Piracy is never justified. piracy is piracy.
Because something is not available to you doesn't justify you can do illegal things.

It's exactly the same debate than users telling "but NES or Gamecube games are not sold anymore, developers don't do profit anymore, so it's fine!". No, it's not. It's piracy anyway. You don't have it, too bad for you. Acquiring it illegally IS piracy.

Same with physical copies of limited edition DVD/good/Anything.
You missed it, your fault. You will not go steal it.

RCJayce

The Defender Of Tomorrow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, of course is not justified, i mean they are the games devs they do what they want with their game, so if you misssed the content "it's your problem"

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
End of the debate.

Because something is not available to you doesn't justify you can do illegal things.
How is it the players fault for not being informed and/or not purchasing the game in time when the game was relavent.

Lets take for example some games that offer DLC as a preorder bonus incentive, often these DLC bonuses are not exclusive and the only cost to not preordering at launch would mean you would have to pay for it later down the road separately. With the situation I just mentioned, there is absolutely no way of ever getting to play that content, ever. Why should the player miss out, does he/she not deserve an equal chance at the content like everyone else?

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Until there is a better solution, yes, piracy is the best, and sometimes ONLY, means of preserving history. Backup everything before Obama shuts down the internet. Just in case you're an idiot, I was just kidding about Obama.

Reactions: RCJayce

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/threads/piracy-common-myths.344858/

and migles gently used a broom to put the dust under the carpet where is the other dust
(no offence, just a little joke)

does this should be inside that thread? or does that thread answer your question?
None of those bullet points seem to match the topic at hand, however it was an interesting read to know someone at the temp got sued o_0

You seem to be missing the point that it was an incentive to buy the game at the time
So future players who later pick up interest for the game series miss out, and for what good reason? They could of not had the financial mean or were too busy at the time to have known about the specific title. It's a but crummy to not even offer paid DLC option, I mean the devs worked hard on that content and they wanna play it. Would be foolish to deny them the work they put in and appreciate it.

RCJayce

The Defender Of Tomorrow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of those bullet points seem to match the topic at hand, however it was an interesting read to know someone at the temp got sued o_0

So future players who later pick up interest for the game series miss out, and for what good reason? They could of not had the financial mean or were too busy at the time to have known about the specific title. It's a but crummy to not even offer paid DLC option, I mean the devs worked hard on that content and they wanna play it. Would be foolish to deny them the work they put in and appreciate it.
Hmmm, Game name and DLC Name please.

RCJayce

The Defender Of Tomorrow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a bit embarrassed to talk about it >.<

It's an MMO on PC. That's all I'm saying.
Hehe :)

Now, you've tried to talk to the devs? Maybe if you explain you situation they can do something about it, so try talking to player support. If they refuse to sell it to you, well pirate it

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd say it's justified. Why should you be denied the right to participate in something?

You've shown that you're willing to pay for it, and you still are unable to legally play it, so why deny yourself the experience? It's their loss.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States

It happens. Once in a while content is never released to the public, say pre-order exclusives that stick to their word.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
flash sales which happened 10 years ago should be free to everyone who missed it because it ended 10 years ago?
Every developers should send you a mail so you don't miss any DLC, just in case one day when you are interested in a random game you already bought them!

If it's a short time promotion, they don't have to make it endless and acquiring it after the promotion ended is not justifying piracy.
It's not the fault of the seller that you weren't informed. You weren't interested at the time of sale, that's all. you missed the time window. It doesn't give you the right to get it for free after that, or everyone will wait the end of the promotion and will get it for free by "justifying" it's not piracy if they didn't buy it when it was available.

The question here is not to know if it's piracy or not, but to know if you need to feel guilty or not about acquiring something without paying.
Choose to pirate or not, but if you do then don't try to find justification to not feel guilty. Assume.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
i think it is justified! products that are more than a couple of years is always ok to pirate imo. 99% of the sales are almost always during the first months. so if ppl pirate a game/movie/record that is like 10 years old it is good for the ppl that were involved producing it!

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
End of the debate.

It's exactly the same debate than users telling "but NES or Gamecube games are not sold anymore, developers don't do profit anymore, so it's fine!". No, it's not. It's piracy anyway. You don't have it, too bad for you. Acquiring it illegally IS piracy.

Same with physical copies of limited edition DVD/good/Anything.
You missed it, your fault. You will not go steal it.

You sir are totally insane. Biggest bullshit.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
99% of the sales are almost always during the first months. so if ppl pirate a game/movie/record that is like 10 years old it is good for the ppl that were involved producing it!

That might have been true, or at least accountants warped reality to make it true, some 10 years ago, however with various types of on demand publishing and downloadable stuff it seems many people are actually making more use of the lifetimes that copyright affords when it comes to long tail sales.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Piracy is bad no matter what way you look at it. But I suppose everyone has ways of making themselves feel better about it.

The only major relevent console I've ever had a hard drive full of games for was the 360. But to make myself feel better about it, every single game I got after getting a ODE I bought new from a shop, and flogged it on day one after ripping it. Total cost to me was about £5 per game after making a slight loss on selling second hand. But it meant to me that at least as far as games were concerned, I personally, had paid full price :lol:

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
what about like the case of Konami's Arcade classic ports to XBLA and PSN?,,,namely X-Men and simpsons arcade? they were not ported to PC so the only way was to download it from the XBL store or PSN. Now due to licences bullshit, the demo and the full version unlocker have been permanently removed from the online store and can never be purchased or downloaded. The only way now is to have a hacked 360 or PS3 and download the PKG file. OR....bought it when it was commercially available in 2011. As buying the legit version is 100% impossible (buying the arcade board is outlandish) What about that hmm?*

I may already solved this situaton. Be it legit or not it doesn't matter...wanted to know your thoughts because it correlates with what is being talked about here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: can troll SylverReZ the following day :)