Would piracy be justified in a situation where ingame content is unavailable anymore?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by RemixDeluxe, Aug 29, 2014.

1. RemixDeluxe
    OP

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Due to not having the game at a specific time, its a PC game and the devs/company releases this specific content during a period of time of their choosing. Because you werent around for that time you missed out, not even making it available even if you paid. Your able to play the game without this content however you would be missing a detailed part of the story that is related to the main storyline.

So in this scenario, would piracy be justified to get that missed content?

To mods: not asking for links, not asking how to get links, I'm just asking a question. Thank you.

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    justified : No.
    End of the debate.

Piracy is never justified. piracy is piracy.
    Because something is not available to you doesn't justify you can do illegal things.

It's exactly the same debate than users telling "but NES or Gamecube games are not sold anymore, developers don't do profit anymore, so it's fine!". No, it's not. It's piracy anyway. You don't have it, too bad for you. Acquiring it illegally IS piracy.

Same with physical copies of limited edition DVD/good/Anything.
    You missed it, your fault. You will not go steal it.

3. RCJayce

RCJayce The Defender Of Tomorrow

Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    New York
    Well, of course is not justified, i mean they are the games devs they do what they want with their game, so if you misssed the content "it's your problem"

4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
  5. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    How is it the players fault for not being informed and/or not purchasing the game in time when the game was relavent.

Lets take for example some games that offer DLC as a preorder bonus incentive, often these DLC bonuses are not exclusive and the only cost to not preordering at launch would mean you would have to pay for it later down the road separately. With the situation I just mentioned, there is absolutely no way of ever getting to play that content, ever. Why should the player miss out, does he/she not deserve an equal chance at the content like everyone else?

6. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Developer's or publisher's decision.
    it had nothing to do with allowing you to download things illegaly at a later time by not providing them at the purchase date.

if you want to do it, do it, but don't justify your act by finding reasons to not call it piracy.

Rocc0, TecXero, gamefan5 and 2 others like this.
  7. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    Until there is a better solution, yes, piracy is the best, and sometimes ONLY, means of preserving history. Backup everything before Obama shuts down the internet. Just in case you're an idiot, I was just kidding about Obama.

RCJayce likes this.
  8. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    You seem to be missing the point that it was an incentive to buy the game at the time

9. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    None of those bullet points seem to match the topic at hand, however it was an interesting read to know someone at the temp got sued o_0

So future players who later pick up interest for the game series miss out, and for what good reason? They could of not had the financial mean or were too busy at the time to have known about the specific title. It's a but crummy to not even offer paid DLC option, I mean the devs worked hard on that content and they wanna play it. Would be foolish to deny them the work they put in and appreciate it.

10. RCJayce

Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    New York
    Hmmm, Game name and DLC Name please.

11. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I'm a bit embarrassed to talk about it >.<

It's an MMO on PC. That's all I'm saying.

12. RCJayce

Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    New York
    Hehe :)

Now, you've tried to talk to the devs? Maybe if you explain you situation they can do something about it, so try talking to player support. If they refuse to sell it to you, well pirate it

13. Apex

Apex GBAtemp Fan

Sep 4, 2006
    茨城県
    I'd say it's justified. Why should you be denied the right to participate in something?

You've shown that you're willing to pay for it, and you still are unable to legally play it, so why deny yourself the experience? It's their loss.

14. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    It happens. Once in a while content is never released to the public, say pre-order exclusives that stick to their word.

15. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    flash sales which happened 10 years ago should be free to everyone who missed it because it ended 10 years ago?
    Every developers should send you a mail so you don't miss any DLC, just in case one day when you are interested in a random game you already bought them!

If it's a short time promotion, they don't have to make it endless and acquiring it after the promotion ended is not justifying piracy.
    It's not the fault of the seller that you weren't informed. You weren't interested at the time of sale, that's all. you missed the time window. It doesn't give you the right to get it for free after that, or everyone will wait the end of the promotion and will get it for free by "justifying" it's not piracy if they didn't buy it when it was available.

The question here is not to know if it's piracy or not, but to know if you need to feel guilty or not about acquiring something without paying.
    Choose to pirate or not, but if you do then don't try to find justification to not feel guilty. Assume.

TecXero, gamefan5 and porkiewpyne like this.
  16. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    i think it is justified! products that are more than a couple of years is always ok to pirate imo. 99% of the sales are almost always during the first months. so if ppl pirate a game/movie/record that is like 10 years old it is good for the ppl that were involved producing it!

Subtle Demise likes this.
  17. Chrisssj2

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands

You sir are totally insane. Biggest bullshit.

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    That might have been true, or at least accountants warped reality to make it true, some 10 years ago, however with various types of on demand publishing and downloadable stuff it seems many people are actually making more use of the lifetimes that copyright affords when it comes to long tail sales.

19. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    Bewdley, UK
    Piracy is bad no matter what way you look at it. But I suppose everyone has ways of making themselves feel better about it.

The only major relevent console I've ever had a hard drive full of games for was the 360. But to make myself feel better about it, every single game I got after getting a ODE I bought new from a shop, and flogged it on day one after ripping it. Total cost to me was about £5 per game after making a slight loss on selling second hand. But it meant to me that at least as far as games were concerned, I personally, had paid full price :lol:

20. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    what about like the case of Konami's Arcade classic ports to XBLA and PSN?,,,namely X-Men and simpsons arcade? they were not ported to PC so the only way was to download it from the XBL store or PSN. Now due to licences bullshit, the demo and the full version unlocker have been permanently removed from the online store and can never be purchased or downloaded. The only way now is to have a hacked 360 or PS3 and download the PKG file. OR....bought it when it was commercially available in 2011. As buying the legit version is 100% impossible (buying the arcade board is outlandish) What about that hmm?*

I may already solved this situaton. Be it legit or not it doesn't matter...wanted to know your thoughts because it correlates with what is being talked about here.