Hacking Would like to know more about "bricking"

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have heard that when you install wad files there is a chance of your wii being bricked."meaning that it won't work anymore"
Has this ever happened?
How does this happen?
Is there a program that can 100% avoid this on the wii?
Why does my head hurt?

sirdashadow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I can tell you from my own experience...If you install too many wads at once and you run out of internal memory (512MB), the wad installer will abort with an error and when you come back to the wii, it won't let you do anything unless you delete something.

I deleted channels and data, but the "Blocks Free counter" remained in 0 blocks free. I panicked, so I reformatted the internal memory, losing ALL the saves, the Opera browser...all...

I guess I should be thankful it wasn't a "total" brick.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
bricking wil only occur when you update the system from a game disc from a different region

about the wad files bricking it is just an speculation of the wise that if the big n activates ios37(the dreaded homebrew killer system version)

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't heard about wad bricking.

BRICK:
Bricked console is console that have been installed with custom firmware. There are:

FULLBRICK.
From this state console cannot be recovered without Nintendo afford (That I heard of). Brick on wii can be done by installing an firmare from other region on your wii (eg. NTSC on PAL). When you boot the console, the screen will be:
mkart-brick.jpg

SEMIBRICK
This is better version of brick, yo will only be unable to reach the Wii Settings. There's an solution to that:
CLICK

Potential brickers is for example NTSC-PAL Super Paper Mario.

darkhawk

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Aslong as your using a safe wad then its safe.
Iv installed quite a few wads(Wiiware and VC) and havent run into any problems or bricks.....

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
How many blocks do you have? If it's above 0 it's no broken wii. BUT if you have eg. 1 block don't install anything!

And ey I'm an advanced member! Yeah
toot.gif

jan777

Trophies
XP
Country
well if ninty decides to be the big bully they never was then wads might be a riskl in the future

plus if you download the everyboys nintendo cgannel they can monitor your installed channels

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
jan777 said:
well if ninty decides to be the big bully they never was then wads might be a riskl in the future

plus if you download the everyboys nintendo cgannel they can monitor your installed channels

I doubt. I doubt. I doubt. But DON'T install any NEW firmware on wii. Eg. 3.3 if it'll come up. First search up internet if it's safe.

And IOS37 is something that Nin released. This have a potential of stopping VC wads, custom channels, homebrew. But it's not activated yet.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
It's not everybodys vote channel, it's just Nintendo Channel. Or whathever it's called on US (I have PAL wii)

jan777

Trophies
XP
Country
yes bottom line there is never install an update without confirmations from other persons

@skawo

i know it was called everybody's nintendo channel but i forgot which region

i think it was from the early rumors

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skawo96 said:
It's not everybodys vote channel, it's Nintendo Channel.
have not downloaded that euther.

QUOTE(jan777 @ May 31 2008, 05:02 PM) yes bootom line there is never install an update without confirmations from other persons
ok so when the next update comes.I should not install it.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Eternal Myst said:
skawo96 said:
It's not everybodys vote channel, it's Nintendo Channel.
have not downloaded that euther.

jan777 said:
yes bootom line there is never install an update without confirmations from other persons
ok so when the next update comes.I should not install it.
No, first read on internet (but not one person, if theres about 20+ posts IT IS SAFE, then install.

I still have alot of blocks 998 or something.
So you're safe for now. Just don't go for installing too many wads. I have 270+ blocks so I have to stop now.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
The topics will be created when the update will show up. It'll get stickied even (I think) when it'll do something important (I mean bricking wii, stopping wads, no crap about new green clock in wii menu)

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why is everyone insisting on using the incorrect term BRICK for screwing up the Wii with channels?

When you BRICK a console/handheld, that's it. Game Over man... Game Over. It's literately a BRICK. You could build a house with it. You can't fix it. Period.

When you put in a bad Channel, your console isn't bricked. It's just malfunctioning, and broken. You can still repair it. If it is completely irreparable, that's when it's bricked.

STOP USING THE WRONG DEFINITION OF BRICK!!

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Well...you're right.
But if you broke a console, umm...how you'd work on broken console? That have for example no funcions? It is booting, you have menu, and if you click on channel it's error blahblahblah. It's kinda bricked, you have no operability of console. Format it? How? You have completely broken console.

But you are right, the brick is brick, and malfunction is malfunction.

PS. That was for example. For example.
gba.gif

All right. Never mind this post.

YOU ARE RIGHT. END

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.