Gaming Would it be worth it to buy a PS3 now?

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mkv is more popular that you may think.

Over the last couple of years, pretty much everything has gone to mkv. Almost every video I get now is mvk, and no, I don't get any japanimation. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Even on non mkv files, the PS3's built in media player is INCREDIBLY picky about which of my files it will play. Files that play just fine on my 360's player (which itself has a lot of compatibility problems), original Xbox w/XBMC, or my TV's built in media player will throw up "incompatible format" messages or even an idiotic "corrupt file" message when the file is clearly just fine because other players have no such problem. Showtime on CFW PS3 plays almost everything, though.

I wouldn't let media player issues stop you from getting a PS3, though. It's still a good system.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As far as built-in media players are concerned, I always convert to the "most compatible" suggested format - there's no reason to expect the player to play files it wasn't meant to support (unless it's a beefy homebrew player filled to the brim with dedicated libraries :P).

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If any video gives you trouble, convert it to MP4 using Handbrake - the default output settings work fine with the PS3 media player. However, PS3 has Cinavia detection so the audio on certain Blu-ray rips will give you trouble no matter what you do with the video file.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc you can easily download a program like plex or PS3 media server to steam pretty much any movie file to a ps3?

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?