Hacking Would it be possible to play PictoChat on 3DS?

Kasumi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't work on my 3DS. It does the setup (Tap the crosses, set time etc.), then says it needs to turn the power off. It closes the game card which allows you to return to the home menu. When it's run again it does the same thing, the settings are never saved so you can't ever get into pictochat. On DS Lite it's fine, probably because it reads the settings from the actual DS Lite's firmware.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can download the PictoChat DSi ROM from NUS with NUS Downloader and decrypt it with the DSi Common Key and extract the ROM from the title (not 100% sure how this is done, but it is definitely possible and probably not that hard). You can then try running that on a flashcard on the 3DS (it reportedly worked on flashcards on DSi and regular DS). In theory it should work.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
You can download the PictoChat DSi ROM from NUS with NUS Downloader and decrypt it with the DSi Common Key and extract the ROM from the title (not 100% sure how this is done, but it is definitely possible and probably not that hard). You can then try running that on a flashcard on the 3DS (it reportedly worked on flashcards on DSi and regular DS). In theory it should work.

I will try this later... >.>

Janthran

Solarian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:

Uh, do you happen to know where I could get a tutorial for this?
Anyone?

Supakitsune

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PictoChat package isn't available on NUS anyway. In other words, the only way to get the standalone PictoChat ROM would be to extract it from a DSi's flash memory.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
may i ask you, what do you want pictochat for?

because as far as i know, noone who tried got this to work... so if you want to send messages to a ds, i dont think things will work out.

if you want better communication between two 3ds' than swapnote allows for, i think you should take your chances with the 3ds browser and try out some online im things. like facebook, or airaim or the like.

if you want it for the drawing... i think there is a homebrew that allows for gifmaking that might be better suited for drawing anyway.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
I don't think it's for anything special and everyone knows there is alternatives for drawing and/or IM. My Galaxy Note can do all that for almost free and much more.
But it would be really sweet idea and also backwards compatible with all earlier DS devices!

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Just tried it and can confirm Kasumi's results. It makes me calibrate the screen, choose a language, name, date, time, and birthday. All the stuff that you do when you turn on a DS for the first time. Then it tells you it needs to shut off to save the settings. This transitions into the 3DS' 'power off' screen. I tried both pressing the home button and turning the 3DS off. In both cases when you turn the 3DS back on the firmware will ask you to go through the same process again. You can't get to the DS' menu to play Pictochat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn