Homebrew would it be possible to patch OOT with MM 2nd analog camera controls?

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just wondering how hard it would be to patch support for a second analog into OOT from MM

has anyone else though of this and looked into it?

i mean i think they are built on the same engine so it shouldn't be that hard

i wonder if N will even release a patch for ocarina now that MM and N3DS are out
it works great in MM, it would be a great addition to OOT to be ale to have 2nd analog support for the camera

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, but replacing graphics, text, and editing maps don't require reversing the game engine. remapping and, more specifically, creating new controls does.

well you can already control the camera to get full 360 degree views
so its like most of the work is done already maybe it wouldnt even require anything from MM,
but looking at how it was done there might give a clue

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, but replacing graphics, text, and editing maps don't require reversing the game engine. remapping and, more specifically, creating new controls does.
Which has already be done to games on the DS and other consoles and consoles.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But said consoles were also more easily hackable than the 3DS is right now.
You should probably explain how it's "more easily hackable". There's lots of ways that it could be easier or not; I'm guessing your only idea is that because you don't have access to the tools or knowledge yourself, that you are saying it is more difficult.

Which has nothing to say about whether it actually is or isn't more difficult to change controls in a game. It just says that you or others aren't aware of how to do it.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You should probably explain how it's "more easily hackable". There's lots of ways that it could be easier or not; I'm guessing your only idea is that because you don't have access to the tools or knowledge yourself, that you are saying it is more difficult.

Which has nothing to say about whether it actually is or isn't more difficult to change controls in a game. It just says that you or others aren't aware of how to do it.
Fair enough. so hows this? 'It's not going to happen because zero2exe and others aren't aware of how to do it.'
Feel better?

it's not a remapping issue to change how the game handles the camera, like a for jump instead of b. it is in the game's programming. you would have to rewrite and reassemble the game to change these in game functions. without a nintendo license or the ability to resign or bypass the signature of the software it's impossible. right? right.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Fair enough. so hows this? 'It's not going to happen because zero2exe and others aren't aware of how to do it.'
Feel better?

it's not a remapping issue to change how the game handles the camera, like a for jump instead of b. it is in the game's programming. you would have to rewrite and reassemble the game to change these in game functions. without a nintendo license or the ability to resign or bypass the signature of the software it's impossible. right? right.
Gateway bypasses the signature check.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

I have re-written VBLANK IRQ Handlers on some gba games to do the code I write on the compiler (whatever you can compile) , then a patch takes care of the rest.

It is possible.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
For real? I've been debating getting one forever. If i can modify 3ds roms and still boot them thats a major plus.
Yeah, it has been possible ever since they added support for eShop games in ROM format, since eShop games aren't signed. :) Actually, support for running modded games came shortly after that, when they added homebrew support.

themperror

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What OP is asking is pretty much impossible (Looking at it realistically), It requires reverse engineering the assembly code, figuring out where the controls are handled, remapping or even completely adding code to it. Which is insanely difficult.

In the end it IS possible, but the time and skills required to do it make it pretty much not worth doing.. It'd be faster to mail nintendo / start a petition to ask for it so they can patch it in..

Reactions: WeedZ

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What OP is asking is pretty much impossible (Looking at it realistically), It requires reverse engineering the assembly code, figuring out where the controls are handled, remapping or even completely adding code to it. Which is insanely difficult.

In the end it IS possible, but the time and skills required to do it make it pretty much not worth doing.. It'd be faster to mail nintendo / start a petition to ask for it so they can patch it in..
Thats what i was saying. you couldn't 'remap' it. if you look at how the camera is handled, the l trigger is your only way of interacting with the camera. (aside from first person perspective). if you mapped the left trigger to the circle pad pro or n3ds cp, you still would only be able to recenter, focus and lockon. it would require rewriting to get the kind of control that op wants. and it's not happening.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The na version does not work with the cpp, it came out before the cpp was released and never recieved an update to support it

Reactions: WeedZ

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of this oot/mm stuff. playing mm at the moment. waiting for midnight, put on bremen mask. march dog around clocktown. realize they gave dog an asshole in this version O.o

Edit:
The na version does not work with the cpp, it came out before the cpp was released and never recieved an update to support it
Hey, weren't you a mod at dashhacks?

Reactions: blinkzane

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of this oot/mm stuff. playing mm at the moment. waiting for midnight, put on bremen mask. march dog around clocktown. realize they gave dog an asshole in this version O.o

Edit:

Hey, weren't you a mod at dashhacks?

Yes

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself