Hacking Would it be possible to force Wii U to 4:3 resolution without borders?

Gameboy Color

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can select 4:3, but it adds blackbars and renders the game in a 16:9 resolution. You can do 16:9 but that only merely stretches the screen.

Would hacking potentially allow 4:3 forced resolution for Wii U?

You might be thinking "why would you want that?" and my answer to that is CRT usage.
Why would I want to use a CRT for Wii U games? Because it's the best picture quality and input lag you can get when you are a hobo on the streets.

ByteBite

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
You might not be able to get the Wii U itself to output a real 4:3 image but I suppose a TV with decent display options could adjust the signal so that it is centered into a 4:3 format. Or possibly use a converter of some kind - of course, they're usually not cheap.

It would make many games a pain to play, however, since the UI is most often designed for widescreen.

Anyway, where the heck do you get CRTs in this day and age?

bigcookie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CRTs are cheap and easy to find in thrift shops, at least in the US. I still keep my CRT around for Melee and PM on the Wii.
Anyways unlike using a Wii with an HDTV, I'm fairly certain the HDMI output on a Wii U has no quality loss or input lag. The reason a Wii would is because of the way a component cable works. Understandable if you can't afford an HDTV now though.

Orcastraw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would I want to use a CRT for Wii U games? Because it's the best picture quality and input lag you can get when you are a hobo on the streets.
Using a CRT with a WiiU actually ADDS input lag, due to the digital to analogue conversion. Why not use the gamepad? :P It's better than a CRT in everyway as far as WiiUs are concerned.

Reactions: pedro702

Hokage95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using a CRT with a WiiU actually ADDS input lag, due to the digital to analogue conversion. Why not use the gamepad? :P It's better than a CRT in everyway as far as WiiUs are concerned.
That's not true. Every console has had to convert a digital signal into analog until the Xbox 360 since it was the first to use HDMI. CRT TVs have the least amount of input lag, and nothing has changed with outputting to a CRT with the Wii U; it converts a digital signal to analog and then sends it through RCA composite cables just like every other console before it has.

Reactions: Gameboy Color

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...