Would it be possible to force Wii U to 4:3 resolution without borders?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Gameboy Color, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Gameboy Color
    OP

Gameboy Color Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2012
    United States
    You can select 4:3, but it adds blackbars and renders the game in a 16:9 resolution. You can do 16:9 but that only merely stretches the screen.

Would hacking potentially allow 4:3 forced resolution for Wii U?

You might be thinking "why would you want that?" and my answer to that is CRT usage.
    Why would I want to use a CRT for Wii U games? Because it's the best picture quality and input lag you can get when you are a hobo on the streets.

2. ByteBite

ByteBite GBAtemp Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Sweden
    You might not be able to get the Wii U itself to output a real 4:3 image but I suppose a TV with decent display options could adjust the signal so that it is centered into a 4:3 format. Or possibly use a converter of some kind - of course, they're usually not cheap.

It would make many games a pain to play, however, since the UI is most often designed for widescreen.

Anyway, where the heck do you get CRTs in this day and age?

3. bigcookie

bigcookie Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2015
    United States
    atlanta
    CRTs are cheap and easy to find in thrift shops, at least in the US. I still keep my CRT around for Melee and PM on the Wii.
    Anyways unlike using a Wii with an HDTV, I'm fairly certain the HDMI output on a Wii U has no quality loss or input lag. The reason a Wii would is because of the way a component cable works. Understandable if you can't afford an HDTV now though.

4. SikeMike03

SikeMike03 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 19, 2013
    United States

Last edited by SikeMike03, Apr 27, 2016
  5. Orcastraw

Orcastraw Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Houston, Texas
    Using a CRT with a WiiU actually ADDS input lag, due to the digital to analogue conversion. Why not use the gamepad? :P It's better than a CRT in everyway as far as WiiUs are concerned.

pedro702 likes this.
  6. Hokage95

Hokage95 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2015
    United States
    That's not true. Every console has had to convert a digital signal into analog until the Xbox 360 since it was the first to use HDMI. CRT TVs have the least amount of input lag, and nothing has changed with outputting to a CRT with the Wii U; it converts a digital signal to analog and then sends it through RCA composite cables just like every other console before it has.

Gameboy Color likes this.