Would it be possible to emulate

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Rayder, Aug 2, 2007.

Aug 2, 2007

Would it be possible to emulate by Rayder at 1:07 PM (1,018 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Rayder
    OP

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Would the arcade version of Punch-out be possible to emulate on the DS, or is the original game too powerful for the DS's CPU?

Reason I ask is because that game is uniquely suited to the DS being a dual screen game and all, but stupid Nintendo doesn't feel the slightest bit of compulsion to make it available for the DS and I want to play it on the go.

Here's a screen of the arcade version:
    [​IMG]

2. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    It probably could be emulated, the specs aren't that high for it and it is 23years old. It could take proper use of the dual screens because that is the original set in the arcade machine.

3. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Possibly emulation is still too difficult (don't know the specs) so a port might be best.

4. Rayder
    OP

United States
    Here's what the specs for the game say when I look it up in MAME:

CPU:
    4.000000 MHz
    N2A03 1.789772 MHz (sound)

Sound:
    VLM5030 3.580000 MHz

Screen:
    256x448 (horz) 60.00 Hz

Colors:

Seems like it should be possible.

I don't know why Nintendo hasn't made a compilation of the NES, SNES and arcade version for DS. I keep thinking they could add the option of touchscreen controls for the NES and SNES versions. And the arcade version could just be "arcade perfect".....other than the screen resolution, of course. They could just use the non-Mike Tyson version of the NES game if they don't want to use Mike in the game.

Nintendo can lack common sense sometimes. Like how they never made an F-Zero or 2D Metroid for the DS. You KNOW they would sell. I think the Punch-Out compilation idea would sell too. What's up with Nintendo anyway? [​IMG]

5. Spikey

Member Spikey Your Special Someone

United States
  6. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    LOL!

Look at the top right corner which said "challenger" and there is a white background is a little bit off. Nice photocopy doctored!

7. Spikey

Member Spikey Your Special Someone

United States
    Alls I did was load up the image from this very thread onto my DS and displayed it... I was trying to fool no one... [​IMG]

EDIT: I was merely trying to show that the DS screen could easily display everything properly.

8. wabo

Member wabo GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I'm pretty sure that it could be done since there's already a GBA punch-out emu wich has been submitted to gbax.com 2003 homebrew competition.

Can be downloaded from this page
    http://207.44.176.77/~admin28/gbaemu/gbax2003/
    The rom is not provived in the package, just the emu and a injecter for the rom.

Search for the string: PunchOut By Phil Stroffolino

9. Rayder
    OP

United States

Hmm.....cool. No sound or (obviously) no second screen, but it works in my SCminiSD after following the readme, renaming the .bin it created to .gba and running it through the SC's patcher. So if it works with the weak GBA CPU, it ought to work well on the DS CPU if someone made it. It might even be able to have sound, since sound is fairly simple in the game.

Thanks for the link! [​IMG]

10. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    When I had my F2A about 6mo ago or so before I sold it I had tried out Punchout a couple times on the GBA and it was damn impressive to say the least. Yes it has no audio or second screen, but it played well and had good speed. Given the specs and that was a quickie demo compo type thing, if you optimized the crap out of it I could image it would have even done audio on the GBA though not perfect considering specs. No reason at all the DS could not handle that given how many times over more potent that hardware is.