Homebrew Question Would it be "legal" for me to post "blank" boot0 / 1 for repair purposes?

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right. Quick one.

Don`t know if a mod / admin can answer this.

People are bricking their switches during downgrade, looks like more-and-more, the BOOT0 is messed up.

I have created / edited some boot 0 / 1 for different firmwares.

In a nutshell, all calib. data would remain, boot0 are chopped just before the keyblobs at 1536kb

It isn`t piracy, but rather a means to an end for people to fix their consoles.

I have autoRCM and normal versions. You restore them with my modded hekate (ignoring incorrect size).

What do people think? Will it fly?

Someone on here said "Discord". But I can`t get my head around that and the bleeps are enough to make Mary Poppins swear.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In many cases this sort of thing is "it is all fun and games until someone sues", and you have the competing logic of "you don't have to be faster than the bear, just your friends" which then goes to how risk averse those with a say are going to be for this one. Those doing the suing also have to prove loss, and in many cases the protections actually afforded to a lot of things like this is somewhat up in the air (see things like the trademarked logo being an essential part of the boot sequence not counting for trademark purposes in those cases in some places). Also unique per console or user generated data is a different matter if that applies here.

I have seen similar restoration things allowed in the past, in other cases they get smacked down. For the latter it tending to be when they are directly useful in emulation (if people regularly toast a BIOS chip or something then issuing a straight BIOS dump for those people, trouble is it also does for emulation at the same time which makes it dubious in the eyes of some, or at least something you would have to fight in court). If the damage is in known locations/sectors then a patch to undo those is not directly useful to would be emulation types but whilst still technically containing data possibly afforded some legal protections...

Right to repair is not a strong right in a lot of places, more of an argument you might use when in court or as a basis for various new laws (the EU often citing environmental protection here).

Where people can they will make any software tools as absolutely close to the line as they can, maybe even blurring it a bit (if one should happen to put the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything" into this algorithm then we can't be responsible for what happens). You might also then want to make any would be hack install tools dump everything they can, even if they theoretically don't need to.

As far as discord goes. Personally I will not use a proprietary protocol chat service that does not even allow me to make my own servers. Beyond that what I have seen of the program says to me it does nothing special and is thus the latest fad and will join teamspeak, ventrillo, mumble and all those other things before too long. As far as legal matters go it almost reminds of me of those riots in London years ago where they were coordinated over Blackberry messenger (BBM) and then they all were shocked when Blackberry handed over the data to the law. If you are playing in these sorts of circles I assume you already plan for the longer term.

As far as this site goes it is not my place to make a call.

mattytrog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmm...

I see your point.

There is absolutely NO per-console data in them. Thats the point.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Okay i say this needs to be legal to share
(I know it might not be legal)
But average joe wont want to find boot0/boot 1 files on the internet/mess around with cmd
I have created a "boot repair pack".

Let it be said, piracy, I don`t care one way or the other. My business is getting things working again.

mattytrog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
See with something like biskeys there specific to one console
But the boot0/1 files are universal s0 i don't see how your versions of them are illegal
They are only "blank" until they are populated by the boot process, aka choi.

It is really meant for people who have forgotten to back up boot0/1.

If it was past the keyblobs, thus including them, that would be different.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They are only "blank" until they are populated by the boot process, aka choi.

It is really meant for people who have forgotten to back up boot0/1.

If it was past the keyblobs, thus including them, that would be different.
This was like the case with the polish translation
the switch's scz text files were "copyrighted" and they got approval for there release

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Right. Quick one.

Don`t know if a mod / admin can answer this.

People are bricking their switches during downgrade, looks like more-and-more, the BOOT0 is messed up.

I have created / edited some boot 0 / 1 for different firmwares.

In a nutshell, all calib. data would remain, boot0 are chopped just before the keyblobs at 1536kb

It isn`t piracy, but rather a means to an end for people to fix their consoles.

I have autoRCM and normal versions. You restore them with my modded hekate (ignoring incorrect size).

What do people think? Will it fly?

Someone on here said "Discord". But I can`t get my head around that and the bleeps are enough to make Mary Poppins swear.
Only a mod can answer for sure on whether it's allowed here, but it's still copyrighted content even if it's freely available, which means you legally aren't allowed to redistribute it.
So the chances are slim that the staff here would allow it. It's not so much about not enabling piracy, it's more about avoiding the site being shut down. Maybe allowing something like this wouldn't be enough get the site shut down but the line has to be drawn somewhere and with something like this it's best not to take any chances. If the staff allow something like this then that can be taken as a sign to other people that it's okay to post copyrighted content and it becomes a slippery slope trying to moderate and differentiate between some arbitrary line between what's allowed and what's not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over